Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a .35 rem (trimmed).
Also have a couple .243 win.
Pops has .308 and other stuff I could run (did pop one with .44 Ruger auto few yrs back).

Eh, I'd rather thump 'em with an arrow. If gun season gets pushed back eventually that just means better bowhunting.

GB1

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 260AIShooter
Lets see, I can legally hunt with a rifle chambered in 6X45 or a 30 Carbine or a 300 RUM, but I can't hunt with a with a 6.5X47 Lapua, or a 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem or a 7mm08 or 8X57 or any of numerous other chamberings. This new ruling makes absolutely no sense to me. I have plenty of rifles chambered in the cartridges that are legal. However the stupidity of this ruling is embarrassing. I suppose on the bright side I can finally use a real rifle.

Actually, what pisses me off as an Indiana hunter is that your statement in bold is incorrect. All of those cartridges are perfectly legal in a handgun. It amazes me there is so much backlash about "high power" rifles but there seems to be zero problems with a "high powered" handgun!

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

I would suggest the politicians and DNR simply apply the existing language defining case length and caliber for handguns to rifles.

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SWJ
Originally Posted by 260AIShooter
Lets see, I can legally hunt with a rifle chambered in 6X45 or a 30 Carbine or a 300 RUM, but I can't hunt with a with a 6.5X47 Lapua, or a 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem or a 7mm08 or 8X57 or any of numerous other chamberings. This new ruling makes absolutely no sense to me. I have plenty of rifles chambered in the cartridges that are legal. However the stupidity of this ruling is embarrassing. I suppose on the bright side I can finally use a real rifle.

Actually, what pisses me off as an Indiana hunter is that your statement in bold is incorrect. All of those cartridges are perfectly legal in a handgun. It amazes me there is so much backlash about "high power" rifles but there seems to be zero problems with a "high powered" handgun!

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

I would suggest the politicians and DNR simply apply the existing language defining case length and caliber for handguns to rifles.

Scott
Don't forget the lack of any restrictions if after coyote's or groundhogs.

I'm guessing the wierdness is due to it being a test. The DNR wanted to change the rules last year, but squeaky wheels got that stopped. So, some folks got a hold of a some supportive legislators and got this passed. It's a baby step, but a step in the right direction. I bet all rifles will be legal on private land in 2021.

Looks like I need to buy my oldest a 243 Win now!

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Exactly, since a measure failed with DNR that would have created parity between handguns and rifles a more measured step was taken. I was glad to see DNR took the time to come up with a sensible interpretation and accept any 6mm or 30 caliber cartridge. Very popular cartridges are now legal on private land.

I could use the following at some time next year with the rule change:
Rem 700 35 Rem (1.8)
Marlin 336 35 Rem (1.8), open sights
Parker Hale Super Safari 30-06
CLR with Forbes upgrade 30-06
Sako FN action 300 H&H
Husqvarna 46 300 Savage (project in the starting stages and may not be ready in time)

I will likely load the 30-06 and 300 H&H to 300 Savage levels using Walters loads he published. Should be fun!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The lack of restrictions on yote and chuck rifles is due to the facts of.....

less hunter congestion

anybody worth a flying flip pursuing such critters is running varmint bullets.

I bet some dipsticks will use varmint loads on deer (since .243 win legal this yr) and blow on a shoulder, have a grand time in recovery. Or some dipstick will assemble a load using match bullets and whistle one through.
Probably each declaring things super cool, and odd effects due to the power levels given such new and awesome shooting contraptions.

Will be rocking a .243 win myself. Have a few lbs of 4350. Haven't decided on a bullet, don't think I need anything super premium. Hell, might be running reg WW factory 100's if my #1 likes em.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/11/16.
IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hookeye
The lack of restrictions on yote and chuck rifles is due to the facts of.....

less hunter congestion

anybody worth a flying flip pursuing such critters is running varmint bullets.

I bet some dipsticks will use varmint loads on deer (since .243 win legal this yr) and blow on a shoulder, have a grand time in recovery. Or some dipstick will assemble a load using match bullets and whistle one through.
Probably each declaring things super cool, and odd effects due to the power levels given such new and awesome shooting contraptions.

Will be rocking a .243 win myself. Have a few lbs of 4350. Haven't decided on a bullet, don't think I need anything super premium. Hell, might be running reg WW factory 100's if my #1 likes em.

95 grain Ballistic Tip. Done.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
95gr BT a possibility.
Have had a few .243's that rather liked the 70 gr BT (and the chucks hated 'em).

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've heard of deer being smacked pretty well by the 70, but I haven't tried it. But I can tell you the 95 is a deer killer. Big hog killer for that matter.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I will most likely try the 70 nbts in my 6x45 this year

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
SWJ, you are 100% correct about using those chamberings in handguns. I am not talking about handguns. If they are legal in a handgun, they should be legal in a rifle. It pisses me off that I can't use my rifle chambered in 260 Rem. but a handgun hunter can use one legally in his Savage Striker chambered in 260. Our legislators don't have a fuggin clue what they are doing. And before you start again, I have no problem with handgun hunters. The stupidity of the ruling is what pisses me off.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
IC B3

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Agree, nothing against handgun hunters and not implying they aren't safe. Just doesn't make sense that two firearms can be chambered for the same cartridge but the one with more barrel length is too unsafe to use! Must think "highpower" handguns are safer because fewer people use them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most "people" think a handgun is less powerful than a rifle, thus have no concerns with rifle cartridges in a handgun.

Spoke with a legislator this morning, the legislation was passed because the NRC and DNR bailed out on the rifle season last year and the legislators in the southern part of the state wanted rifles to be legal. So for once, our legislators did some good in opening up additional opportunities to rifle hunt.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that I think it's a good baby step. Now I just need to find an appropriate 30 Carbine to hunt with...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking either 6mm Creedmoor (should have never sold my previous one) or a 6mm-06...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Do the 6-06! One of those and some 55gr Cutting Edge Raptors would shoot F L A T! laugh

In reality I'm hoping to get Jr. a LH RAR in 243 and I'll use the 30-06. If that doesn't work out I have a 30-30 he's already pretty good with. I just posted the 30 Carbine thing as I was a bit surprised to see it listed.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Let's see if the pro-gay lobby protests the state for leaving out the .270.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The already legal in handgun..........

yeah, I bet there are few roadhunters toting specialty pistols.

Most HP handguns run EER scopes and they IMHO really limit shot selection.

The sheer number of high performance handgunners, compared to long gun users.......it's of no argument.

Nobody gives a flip about 7mm mag Encore pistols or similar because so few use them. Or if of number, employ them with responsibility.

The avg Hoosier deer hunter is a weekend warrior who isn't all that gun savvy IMHO. I worked in a gun shop a few yrs. Scary.

All this new law does is have a bunch of folks bringing in .243's and .308 and .30-06 the night before the opener wanting them boresighted.

L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

I can not believe the 270 was left out. The rifle that has taken more deer than any other.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Remember, they got the HP rifle thing to pass by having "limits".

If all goes well expect it to open up in 4 yrs to allow .270 win.

Initially they listed 5 kinda sorta cartridges without proper names (legislature). The DNR further clarified it as .24 and .30 cal, 1.16 min case length.

If it goes well, both sides claim success. If some idiots muck it up with accidents, then neither side will catch blame since the law wasn't based solely on their work.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/28/16.
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

609 members (10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 1234, 68 invisible), 2,617 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,669
Posts18,455,977
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.