Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I have been hearing rumors that Indiana has passed legislation allowing the use of high powered rifles for deer hunting. Does anyone know for sure if it passed or not? Have a link to the DNR rules as to what's allowable?

Last edited by gunswizard; 03/27/16.
BP-B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
From what I have read, it will be limited to 243, 308, 300, or 30-06 only.
Now we will be able to snipe them from 1/2 mile away!

The beatings will continue until morale improves
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Governor Pence has signed the bill.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
a quick search revealed:
Here's the bill: INDIANA HUNTING BILL
It's been passed by the house 90 to 0.

Some provisions:
the dept must set a rifle season
rifles can be used on private land only
rifle barrels must be 16" or longer
It limits ammo to .243 cal or larger with cases 1.16" or longer and no full metal jacketed bullets
The dept can further define rifles but can make no changes to the ammunition as defined in the bill.

There's a lot more in the bill about stuff like trespassing.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
About gol' dang time! Just wish they would have set the min. bullet diameter at .224"...

Originally Posted by captbutch
From what I have read, it will be limited to 243, 308, 300, or 30-06 only.
Now we will be able to snipe them from 1/2 mile away!
I saw that as well in one version of the bill. Found it hilarious that they only listed ".300" as one of the options. Is that a 300 Savage? 300 RUM? wink

IIRC this is just a "study" with a sunset in 2020. The bill requires them to establish a season, but does not state that it has to be during the normal gun season. I hope it is and just not a half-baked idea of only allowing rifles during the late anterless season. I imagine DNR is getting a lot of calls...

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
I too found the designation .300 to be pretty non-specific, could be several different cartridges. From the sound of the bill, the DNR will define things further at a later date. The list of permissable rounds leaves out a significant number of good deer cartridges.

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Cool... Maybe an Uncle Roy in 30-378 :-)

Just kidding

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by gunswizard
I have been hearing rumors that Indiana has passed legislation allowing the use of high powered rifles for deer hunting. Does anyone know for sure if it passed or not? Have a link to the DNR rules as to what's allowable?

Good lord, what in the world is a high powered rifle ? Was low powered legal before this legislation?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Legal Firearms
Shotguns, handguns, rifles with legal cartridges, muzzleloading long guns and muzzleloading handguns are legal during the firearms and special antlerless seasons. Only muzzleloading firearms are legal during the muzzleloader season.

Hunters may carry more than one type of legal firearm when hunting during the firearms and special antlerless seasons only. Shotguns must be 10-, 12-, 16-, 20- or 28-gauge or .410 bore loaded with slugs or saboted bullets. Rifled slug barrels are permitted. Combination rifle-shotguns are allowed.

Muzzleloading firearms must be .44 caliber or larger, loaded with a single bullet of at least .357 caliber. Saboted bullets are allowed, provided the bullet is .357 caliber or larger. A muzzleloading firearm must be capable of being loaded from only the muzzle. Multiple-barrel muzzleloading long guns are allowed.

Rifles with cartridges that fire a bullet of .357-inch diameter or larger, have a minimum case length of 1.16 inches, and have a maximum case length of 1.8 inches are legal to use only during the deer firearms and special antlerless seasons. Some cartridges legal for deer hunting include the .357 Magnum, .38-.40 Winchester, .41 Magnum, .41 Special, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .44-.40 Winchester, .45 Colt, .454 Casull, .458 SOCOM, .475 Linebaugh, .480 Ruger, .50 Action Express, .500 S&W, .460 Smith & Wesson, .450 Bushmaster, and .50 Beowulf. Full metal jacketed bullets are illegal.

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

Handguns are not permitted on any military areas.

Some handgun cartridges that are legal for deer hunting include .357 Magnum, .41 Magnum, .44 Magnum, .44 Special, .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt, .45 Winchester Magnum, .35 Remington and .357 Herrett.

Some handgun cartridges that are illegal for deer hunting are .38 Special, .38 Smith and Wesson, .38 Colt New Police, .38/200, .38 Long Colt, .38 Super, .38 ACP, .38 Colt Auto, .45 ACP, .45 Automatic and .45 Auto Rim. All .25/.20, .32/.20 and .30 carbine ammunition is prohibited.

Muzzleloading handguns are allowed. The muzzleloading handgun must be single shot, .50 caliber or larger, loaded with bullets at least .44 caliber and have a barrel at least 12 inches long, measured from the base of the breech plug excluding tangs and other projections to the end of the barrel, including the muzzle crown.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Above quoted regulations are those in force prior to the new legislation. High powered rifle is a term applied to centerfires in the .270/.30-06 class, and yes previously only rifles chambered for pistol cartridges (low powered as you choose to call them) were legal. I think you knew this before posting though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Above quoted regulations are those in force prior to the new legislation. High powered rifle is a term applied to centerfires in the .270/.30-06 class, and yes previously only rifles chambered for pistol cartridges (low powered as you choose to call them) were legal. I think you knew this before posting though.
As per the posted regulations, rifles other than those in "pistol cartridges" are legal as well. I think you knew this before posting though...

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
High powered rifle is a term applied to centerfires in the .270/.30-06 class

I would love to see the reference you gleaned this information from.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Not gona get in a [bleep] slinging contest with those who choose to nitpick. High powered rifles is just a term used by lots of shooters, no reference necessary. Look again at the list of allowable rifle chamberings/cartridges, they're all pistol cartridges. Please enlighten us which cartridges other than pistol cartridges does current law allow????????

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Second Regular Session of the 119th General Assembly (2016)
PRINTING CODE. Amendments: Whenever an existing statute (or a section of the Indiana
Constitution) is being amended, the text of the existing provision will appear in this style type,
additions will appear in
this style type
, and deletions will appear in this style type.
Additions: Whenever a new statutory provision is being enacted (or a new constitutional
provision adopted), the text of the new provision will appear in
this style type
. Also, the
word
NEW
will appear in that style type in the introductory clause of each SECTION that adds
a new provision to the Indiana Code or the Indiana Constitution.
Conflict reconciliation: Text in a statute in
this style type
or
this style type
reconciles conflicts
between statutes enacted by the 2015 Regular Session of the General Assembly.
HOUSE ENROLLED ACT No. 1231
AN ACT to amend the Indiana Code concerning natural and cultural
resources.
Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of Indiana:
SECTION 1. IC 14-22-2-8 IS ADDED TO THE INDIANA CODE
AS A
NEW
SECTION TO READ AS FOLLOWS [EFFECTIVE
UPON PASSAGE]:
Sec. 8. (a) This section applies to a hunting
season beginning after June 30, 2016, and ending before January
1, 2020.
(b) A hunter may use a rifle during the firearms season to hunt
deer subject to the following:
(1) The use of a rifle is permitted only on privately owned
land.
(2) The rifle must have a barrel length of at least sixteen (16)
inches.
(3) The rifle must be chambered for one (1) of the following
cartridges:
(A) .243.
(B) .30-30.
(C) .300.
(D) .30-06.
(E) .308.
(4) A hunter may not possess more than ten (10) cartridges for
the rifle while hunting deer under this section.
(5) The rifle must meet any other requirements established by
HEA 1231 — CC 1

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Wise decision all the way around not to include the .270 in that list.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
No one knows which .300 they're referring to??????????

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Gee thats some stupid wording.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Never mind the wording, you know perfectly well what is being asked. If you can't contribute anything more intelligent than that perhaps you should STFU.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
never mind the 1st...

Was commenting on how idiotic the state game folks can word things at times

And then we get this from you. Wow.

I guess you think its worded well and clear and makes sense...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Perhaps you learned your lesson to be more specific next time. If you read my post a few down from the top you'd know that I felt it is not worded well and leaves the question as to which .300 unanswered. It is apparent from the responses that nobody here can shed any light on the situation. Perhaps we'll learn the answer from the DNR in the not too distant future.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
The DNR is supposed to specify which .300 when they write it in the 2016-17 hunting regs.
No one knows right now which.
Your gonna have to wait just like the rest of us.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sounds to me a 300 of any flavor is legal..

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Perhaps you learned your lesson to be more specific next time. If you read my post a few down from the top you'd know that I felt it is not worded well and leaves the question as to which .300 unanswered. It is apparent from the responses that nobody here can shed any light on the situation. Perhaps we'll learn the answer from the DNR in the not too distant future.

My comment was not related to the 300 issue, but to the overall wording which is wildly stupid.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I bet your wife is continually amazed at what an idiot she married.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
It's not just the 300, 243 does that include 243 wssm? Ackley improved?
I had read that they would need final wording buy July.

As far as wording, what do you expect from politicians, our DNR played no role in this fiasco, It was all politicians!!

Last edited by Boonechaser; 03/31/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Scott,
You may have to come north of the river after opening week in KY. We might have a rifle season by then. Bring a 243. If gunswizard approves of such a small caliber firearm for deer and such...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
Wise decision all the way around not to include the .270 in that list.

😄😄😄

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why the idiocy of not allowing cartridges between .24 and .30 caliber? This is one of the dumbest things I've heard of!

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Kimber7man
Scott,
You may have to come north of the river after opening week in KY. We might have a rifle season by then. Bring a 243. If gunswizard approves of such a small caliber firearm for deer and such...

I would but my truck has a cutoff switch, activated by GPS that will not allow me to get more than 20 feet into Indiana.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Not gona get in a [bleep] slinging contest with those who choose to nitpick. High powered rifles is just a term used by lots of shooters, no reference necessary. Look again at the list of allowable rifle chamberings/cartridges, they're all pistol cartridges. Please enlighten us which cartridges other than pistol cartridges does current law allow????????
358 WSSM, 358 Grant, 358 Hoosier, 450 Bushmaster, 50 Beowolf, etc. The list in the regs are not a complete list of what is currently legal. If the bullet is .35" or bigger and the case is 1.16" to 1.8" long, it is legal. Lots of charmberings, both commercial and wildcats, are legal under that definition that are not "pistol" cartridges.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Great to hear about your truck's cutoff switch, we don't need crude trash like you here in the Hoosier state.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Great to hear about your truck's cutoff switch, we don't need crude trash like you here in the Hoosier state.
Yeah we prefer crippled up, opinionated old farts... wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by pointer
Yeah we prefer crippled up, opinionated old farts... wink

+1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S

I feel hurt. I was kinda hoping to see the family with the best dressed man in church.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
Lost interest in posting in the deflave thread have we? You don't seem to have anything intelligent to add here, best dressed man in church is really old stuff kinda lame in fact. Don't you have anything witty or crude to say about the six foot tall vag. pic over there or your buddy 'flave wanking in the pillow? That's more your speed, crude and tasteless.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Lost interest in posting in the deflave thread have we? You don't seem to have anything intelligent to add here, best dressed man in church is really old stuff kinda lame in fact. Don't you have anything witty or crude to say about the six foot tall vag. pic over there or your buddy 'flave wanking in the pillow? That's more your speed, crude and tasteless.

I don't know, you seem to be the one fixated with pillows and man love, you perverted bastard. You must be a Methodist.

G
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
G
You plainly don't know WTF you're talking about, no surprise given the content of the majority of your posts. Plainly out of your element here, comments like you've made are more at home in the deflave threads. You two are definately birds of a feather. My religious affiliation is none of your fuggin business.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The law could go into technical review before June 1st (IIRC) and then more definitive names for legal cartridges be had.

This is for a 4 yr test period.

Remember, politics........to keep hunters, non hunters and idiots in general happy.

The 5 cartridges.....maybe the thoughts along the lines of..........

.243 win for youth, small statured and crippled old farts LOL
.30-30 for nostalgics
.308 and .30-06 for long/short action, pump and autos....general deer hunting types
.300 for the magnum sniper folks (hey somebody in the legislature might have a LE/Mil buddy).

By not naming 5 explicitly they may have helped open the door more. See if it gets to technical review and what that might be.

Error or help in the disguise of error...........who knows?

As for PCR previous.............yeah, intent. The law specs cartridge dims though, so some folks trim other stuff to fit, or make wildcats.

From another forum, the intent of the new 5 was to be of the common versions associated. Supposedly .300 is to mean .300 winmag. But the .300 whisper is legal in handgun so who really knows WTH is going on.

Just be glad they passed something that allows more choice. Now if that means more competition for larger ground, access and or lease prices going up....localized deer pattern changes, harvest data changes or what............

Me? I always wish to buck out before gun season opens.
Doesn't happen much, so is kinda fun to break out the boomstick and put meat in the freezer.

If gun season goes crazy with the change, it wouldn't surprise me to see the gun season shortened or moved back. Rut is right when it opens usually. Pretty nice having it the way it is IMHO.

The changes might benefit some, may not change anything for others, and a some might get F'd in the process. Just the way it is.

There's no such thing as a win-win.

Hopefully most will enjoy the changes.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/02/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
.308 Lazzeroni Warbird might be fun......hey it's a ".308"

Too rich for my blood.
If the law opens up after 4 yrs I'd like another 7 mag (sold mine yrs ago). 2 kids out of college then, might actually be able to afford a lease..........and have a spot where I could use such.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Scott,

I would but my truck has a cutoff switch, activated by GPS that will not allow me to get more than 20 feet into Indiana.

You sure that's not supposed to go on your ankle???

Use SAS's. It made it up here a year or two ago for a UK ball game, so it will get you to US 40 at the minimum...

ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
You plainly don't know WTF you're talking about, no surprise given the content of the majority of your posts. Plainly out of your element here, comments like you've made are more at home in the deflave threads. You two are definately birds of a feather. My religious affiliation is none of your fuggin business.

I see you are replying to yourself, which makes sense, cuzz that guy is one stupid SOB.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Scott,

You sure that's not supposed to go on your ankle???

Use SAS's. It made it up here a year or two ago for a UK ball game, so it will get you to US 40 at the minimum...

No offense Marty, but Indiana ranks in the top 3 worse states I've ever been to and the worse people of any state.

When I-75 finally opened in Florida it was like the Indiana floodgates opened up and they were some flat out POS folks. My opinion after traveling there ain't changed much.

Obviously it's a generalization and don't apply to EVERYONE, but I know a few IN members that will not be capable of making that connection.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Remember, a lot of those folks who worked in Indiana factories and retired to Florida.........learned the 4 "R's" when they were growing up in a different and southern state.

wink

Last edited by hookeye; 04/03/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The law that first allowed rifles for IN was not "pistol cartridges".

By mandating .35 cal min and a max case length of 1.8" it did favor the pistol cartridge rifles. Medium/short range the idea.

But there is no straight wall case mandate like other places.

.35 rem trimmed is popular.
So are the .358 wildcats.
Some folks even trim their .45-70's.
Of course .357 and .44 mags are super popular, since many do not reload.

AR guys do well with .458 Socom, .450 Bushmaster and .50 Beowolf like another poster mentioned. Seen a few AR's in .45 winmag.

For most it's a 200 yd max game. Guys with the .358 wildcats can almost double that.

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Another typical law written by pencil pushers that on a good day, may know which end of the gun a bullet even comes out of. If you began to tell them the ballistics of a modern muzzleloader, their heads would probably spin. Just like the idiots here in Michigan that took so long to finally see that a 44 mag. rifle is no more powerful than a 44 mag. revolver or muzzleloader that was already allowed.

Michigan somewhat copied Indiana in the "limited rifle zone" law. Highly doubt they will follow on this one though.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
No more antediluvian than Maryland game laws. In the eastern 2/3 of the state (where it is relatively flat), 80% of the land may be hunted only with shotguns or muzzle loaders- don't even think about a handgun or handgun cartridge in a rifle. You see some pretty tricked-out shotguns and ML's being carried- guns that'll put a high velocity slug or sabot into 4" at 200 yards. Since they are perfectly legal, it makes my head hurt to ponder why stuff like .30-30's, .44 Mags, .357 Maximums, et al aren't allowed when a lot of those shotgun and inline ML loads are a lot more formidable. Add to that the bus loads of macho maniacs who arm themselves with the most powerful legal arms possible (which kick like an Army mule) and who then shy away from practicing with their fearsome guns and/or develop nasty flinches. The end result is lots of projectiles skittering willy-nilly across the landscape. Just about everybody I know who lives on the Eastern Shore has a horror story to tell about projectiles slapping into their house/barns/cars/etc.

The irony is that one is allowed to use any kind of centerfire rifle cartridge when varmint hunting the other 50 weeks out of the year on the same land. I never figured out the rationale for all of those regulations.

Thank god they allow any centerfire .22 and up that generates over 1200ft.lbs. muzzle energy in the western 1/3 of the state, plus .44 and larger handguns with 6" or longer barrels generating minimum 600+ ft.lbs. at the muzzle. Guess where I head to in deer season.

In some respects Hoosiers are better off than they think.

Last edited by gnoahhh; 04/04/16.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No offense Marty, but Indiana ranks in the top 3 worse states I've ever been to and the worse people of any state.

When I-75 finally opened in Florida it was like the Indiana floodgates opened up and they were some flat out POS folks. My opinion after traveling there ain't changed much.

Obviously it's a generalization and don't apply to EVERYONE, but I know a few IN members that will not be capable of making that connection.

None taken.
Heck, before I quite driving to Florida, I used the right lane to pass those cars parked in the left lane bearing Illinois and Wisconsin tags....

ALDO LEOPOLD
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
DNR has posted clarification

looks like 6mm and .308 dia, 1.16 min case length

Christmas in April (hence the snow last weekend)

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
What's the resonning behind this?? You can use a .300 Ultramag but not a .260 Rem or .270 Win?!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is the legislator's way of proving that a rifle season in Indiana won't result in any more dead people than in the past. Thus proving the nay-sayers wrong and allowing hunters to use any caliber from 6mm on up starting in 2021.

ALDO LEOPOLD
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'm betting the 6mm was instituted for youth hunters. Either way, it's definitely one of the most obscure hunting regulations I've read in a while.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
C
CBB Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
The non-res public land hunter still uses the shotgun. That sucks.

Hunt...
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Public land hunters can use rifles like they did last year (1.16-1.8" case and .35 or larger cal).

The new law adds stuff to what was already legal.

But hey, if a non res wants to use a shotgun and whine about it...........they most certainly can.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Anyone wants to come to Indiana and borrow a 358 Hoosier, I might be able to help out. I'm building a 6mm Creedmoor for this fall...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Lets see, I can legally hunt with a rifle chambered in 6X45 or a 30 Carbine or a 300 RUM, but I can't hunt with a with a 6.5X47 Lapua, or a 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem or a 7mm08 or 8X57 or any of numerous other chamberings. This new ruling makes absolutely no sense to me. I have plenty of rifles chambered in the cartridges that are legal. However the stupidity of this ruling is embarrassing. I suppose on the bright side I can finally use a real rifle.

Last edited by 260AIShooter; 04/10/16.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Not stupid, if viewing it as a test period. By calling it that and having some limitations, it doesn't freak out the non hunters.

Expect it to open up at end of test period, maybe sooner.

Remember, even technical legislation requires people management.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/10/16.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If everybody was logical and honest we'd have had something like 1.16" in case, .24 cal or larger.

but most people are stupid and or suck.

Do wonder if rifle does well, we see the gun season shortened, and or moved back a week.

Haven' seen good deer numbers where I hunt since '90. Hell back then in mid/north central you could throw a rock and kill a 100" 8 pt.

Less deer, higher take, less land available (leases going up too)..........who knows what the future will bring.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I have a .35 rem (trimmed).
Also have a couple .243 win.
Pops has .308 and other stuff I could run (did pop one with .44 Ruger auto few yrs back).

Eh, I'd rather thump 'em with an arrow. If gun season gets pushed back eventually that just means better bowhunting.

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by 260AIShooter
Lets see, I can legally hunt with a rifle chambered in 6X45 or a 30 Carbine or a 300 RUM, but I can't hunt with a with a 6.5X47 Lapua, or a 6.5 Creedmore, 260 Rem or a 7mm08 or 8X57 or any of numerous other chamberings. This new ruling makes absolutely no sense to me. I have plenty of rifles chambered in the cartridges that are legal. However the stupidity of this ruling is embarrassing. I suppose on the bright side I can finally use a real rifle.

Actually, what pisses me off as an Indiana hunter is that your statement in bold is incorrect. All of those cartridges are perfectly legal in a handgun. It amazes me there is so much backlash about "high power" rifles but there seems to be zero problems with a "high powered" handgun!

Handguns, other than muzzleloading, must have a barrel at least 4 inches long and must fire a bullet of .243-inch diameter or larger. The handgun cartridge case, without the bullet, must be at least 1.16 inches long. Full metal-jacketed bullets are not permitted. The handgun must not be a rifle that has a barrel less than 18 inches or be designed or redesigned to be fired from the shoulder.

I would suggest the politicians and DNR simply apply the existing language defining case length and caliber for handguns to rifles.

Scott

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SWJ
Originally Posted by 260AIShooter

Actually, what pisses me off as an Indiana hunter is that your statement in bold is incorrect. All of those cartridges are perfectly legal in a handgun. It amazes me there is so much backlash about "high power" rifles but there seems to be zero problems with a "high powered" handgun!

I would suggest the politicians and DNR simply apply the existing language defining case length and caliber for handguns to rifles.

Scott
Don't forget the lack of any restrictions if after coyote's or groundhogs.

I'm guessing the wierdness is due to it being a test. The DNR wanted to change the rules last year, but squeaky wheels got that stopped. So, some folks got a hold of a some supportive legislators and got this passed. It's a baby step, but a step in the right direction. I bet all rifles will be legal on private land in 2021.

Looks like I need to buy my oldest a 243 Win now!

S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Exactly, since a measure failed with DNR that would have created parity between handguns and rifles a more measured step was taken. I was glad to see DNR took the time to come up with a sensible interpretation and accept any 6mm or 30 caliber cartridge. Very popular cartridges are now legal on private land.

I could use the following at some time next year with the rule change:
Rem 700 35 Rem (1.8)
Marlin 336 35 Rem (1.8), open sights
Parker Hale Super Safari 30-06
CLR with Forbes upgrade 30-06
Sako FN action 300 H&H
Husqvarna 46 300 Savage (project in the starting stages and may not be ready in time)

I will likely load the 30-06 and 300 H&H to 300 Savage levels using Walters loads he published. Should be fun!

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The lack of restrictions on yote and chuck rifles is due to the facts of.....

less hunter congestion

anybody worth a flying flip pursuing such critters is running varmint bullets.

I bet some dipsticks will use varmint loads on deer (since .243 win legal this yr) and blow on a shoulder, have a grand time in recovery. Or some dipstick will assemble a load using match bullets and whistle one through.
Probably each declaring things super cool, and odd effects due to the power levels given such new and awesome shooting contraptions.

Will be rocking a .243 win myself. Have a few lbs of 4350. Haven't decided on a bullet, don't think I need anything super premium. Hell, might be running reg WW factory 100's if my #1 likes em.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/11/16.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by hookeye
The lack of restrictions on yote and chuck rifles is due to the facts of.....

less hunter congestion

anybody worth a flying flip pursuing such critters is running varmint bullets.

I bet some dipsticks will use varmint loads on deer (since .243 win legal this yr) and blow on a shoulder, have a grand time in recovery. Or some dipstick will assemble a load using match bullets and whistle one through.
Probably each declaring things super cool, and odd effects due to the power levels given such new and awesome shooting contraptions.

Will be rocking a .243 win myself. Have a few lbs of 4350. Haven't decided on a bullet, don't think I need anything super premium. Hell, might be running reg WW factory 100's if my #1 likes em.

95 grain Ballistic Tip. Done.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
95gr BT a possibility.
Have had a few .243's that rather liked the 70 gr BT (and the chucks hated 'em).

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've heard of deer being smacked pretty well by the 70, but I haven't tried it. But I can tell you the 95 is a deer killer. Big hog killer for that matter.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I will most likely try the 70 nbts in my 6x45 this year

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
SWJ, you are 100% correct about using those chamberings in handguns. I am not talking about handguns. If they are legal in a handgun, they should be legal in a rifle. It pisses me off that I can't use my rifle chambered in 260 Rem. but a handgun hunter can use one legally in his Savage Striker chambered in 260. Our legislators don't have a fuggin clue what they are doing. And before you start again, I have no problem with handgun hunters. The stupidity of the ruling is what pisses me off.

Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude.

Thomas Jefferson
S
SWJ Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Agree, nothing against handgun hunters and not implying they aren't safe. Just doesn't make sense that two firearms can be chambered for the same cartridge but the one with more barrel length is too unsafe to use! Must think "highpower" handguns are safer because fewer people use them?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most "people" think a handgun is less powerful than a rifle, thus have no concerns with rifle cartridges in a handgun.

Spoke with a legislator this morning, the legislation was passed because the NRC and DNR bailed out on the rifle season last year and the legislators in the southern part of the state wanted rifles to be legal. So for once, our legislators did some good in opening up additional opportunities to rifle hunt.

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I agree that I think it's a good baby step. Now I just need to find an appropriate 30 Carbine to hunt with...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm thinking either 6mm Creedmoor (should have never sold my previous one) or a 6mm-06...

ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Do the 6-06! One of those and some 55gr Cutting Edge Raptors would shoot F L A T! laugh

In reality I'm hoping to get Jr. a LH RAR in 243 and I'll use the 30-06. If that doesn't work out I have a 30-30 he's already pretty good with. I just posted the 30 Carbine thing as I was a bit surprised to see it listed.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Let's see if the pro-gay lobby protests the state for leaving out the .270.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
The already legal in handgun..........

yeah, I bet there are few roadhunters toting specialty pistols.

Most HP handguns run EER scopes and they IMHO really limit shot selection.

The sheer number of high performance handgunners, compared to long gun users.......it's of no argument.

Nobody gives a flip about 7mm mag Encore pistols or similar because so few use them. Or if of number, employ them with responsibility.

The avg Hoosier deer hunter is a weekend warrior who isn't all that gun savvy IMHO. I worked in a gun shop a few yrs. Scary.

All this new law does is have a bunch of folks bringing in .243's and .308 and .30-06 the night before the opener wanting them boresighted.

L
LFD Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L

I can not believe the 270 was left out. The rifle that has taken more deer than any other.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Remember, they got the HP rifle thing to pass by having "limits".

If all goes well expect it to open up in 4 yrs to allow .270 win.

Initially they listed 5 kinda sorta cartridges without proper names (legislature). The DNR further clarified it as .24 and .30 cal, 1.16 min case length.

If it goes well, both sides claim success. If some idiots muck it up with accidents, then neither side will catch blame since the law wasn't based solely on their work.

Last edited by hookeye; 04/28/16.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
95 members (99Ozarks, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 257_X_50, 14 invisible), 1,674 guests, and 665 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,727
Posts18,400,724
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.