Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Probably a silly question but I dont know.
Is a barrel that has been Melanited supposed to be black on the inside of the bore?
Mine is shiny and not black like the outside of the barrel.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
your talking about your AR Performance barrel on the iron works tactical upper? Their barrels have a pretty good reputation, but it is a good question.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Yes

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I thought they were a shiny black on the inside.

Islam is a terrorist organization.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Melonite range from dark gray to black. The alloy has a significant effect on the color.

Luster depends to a great deal, on the finish before meloniting & any post-nitriding polishing.

MM

IC B2

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by bcraig
Probably a silly question but I dont know.
Is a barrel that has been Melanited supposed to be black on the inside of the bore?
Mine is shiny and not black like the outside of the barrel.

Melonite is a heat treat. The barrels are dipped into 1400 degree molten salt, not table salt but a kind of salt. The whole barrel is dipped and treated inside and out. The black is more like a stain, it can be polished off.

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I thought it was a few microns thick into the steel, anyway I had one in 300BO a while back it was shiny IIRC. Why I like chrome or SS, its easy to see what your getting for your money.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
you can see how well a barrel shoots by simply looking at it?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by constructor

Melonite is a heat treat. The barrels are dipped into 1400 degree molten salt, not table salt but a kind of salt. The whole barrel is dipped and treated inside and out. The black is more like a stain, it can be polished off.

Meloniting is not heat treating in the traditional sense..........

It is a liquid salt bath nitriding (as opposed to gas nitriding) that provides an hard & wear resistant iron nitrided layer that is diffused into the steel via reaction of nitrogen with the base material.

Also, typical temps are not 1400F; usually between 950-1150F.

Meloniting is a trade name for a very specific material for the generic process of (cyanate) salt bath nitriding as opposed to Turftriding (cyanide) salt bath nitriding, both of which produce the same end result.

Meloniting is more environmental friendly.

You really cannot polish the color away........a good example of the really black version in on Glock & some S&W slides. As I said earlier, the color intensity depends on the alloy.

MM

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
Originally Posted by constructor

Meloniting is not heat treating in the traditional sense..........

It is a liquid salt bath nitriding (as opposed to gas nitriding) that provides an hard & wear resistant iron nitrided layer that is diffused into the steel via reaction of nitrogen with the base material.

Also, typical temps are not 1400F; usually between 950-1150F.

Meloniting is a trade name for a very specific material for the generic process of (cyanate) salt bath nitriding as opposed to Turftriding (cyanide) salt bath nitriding, both of which produce the same end result.

Meloniting is more environmental friendly.

You really cannot polish the color away........a good example of the really black version in on Glock & some S&W slides. As I said earlier, the color intensity depends on the alloy.

MM
I've made 40-50000 barrels over the last 8 years, actually made the one the guy above is asking about. You really can polish the color away. Looking from the end looks very shiny but looking through a borescope the metal has a tint.

Last edited by constructor; 03/27/16.

"I threw a touchdown pass in the last minute to win the state championship game. I know it was 30 years ago and not relevant to this discussion but it makes me important and believable, it's the only great thing I even accomplished"
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
You boring and rifling cut or button tubes? I should likley know who you are, but don't recall....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by rost495
You boring and rifling cut or button tubes? I should likley know who you are, but don't recall....

They are $200 production pull button 5R barrels, a few 3R and standard 4 groove too but most are 5R.

Last edited by constructor; 03/27/16.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

655 members (007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1beaver_shooter, 160user, 1minute, 1936M71, 68 invisible), 3,245 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,588
Posts18,454,274
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.