Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by teal
Mepps- sacrilege I know but I've never caught a damned thing on them. Ever. Throw anything else over the side - slam fish all day long.

Wacky rigged worms. Dad and brother swear by em, fish them a lot. Not me. Never liked em.

I don't believe that I've ever caught anything on any in-line spinner, especially bucktails.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
GB2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Owl
A bare hook

When the bullheads were hitting hot and heavy, we used to throw out a bare hook (although one that probably still had some scent on it) and catch them on it.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Anyone remember Buck Perry's Spoonplug lures? I bought a number of them back in the 70s and never did much with them, other than a few pike while trolling.

Same with the old Creme plastic/rubber crickets, frogs, etc. I tried them as a kid, but they never did any good for me. I always went back to worms. Funny thing is, I now use garden worms more than anything else for walleye, trout, panfish, and bass.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Kenneth
Any topwater lure in general.

Used to be the same way. Then I started fishing this frogs - they have rubber paddle tails. Get them at Fleet Farm.

Scum Frog they're called - have to have the paddle feet like this:

[Linked Image]

Fish real slow - get some bass but they're dynamite on slimers.

They'll come back for them. Cast this one into the weeds, hit it and missed. I did nothing but let it sit there, twitch twice and start a slow retrieve and it come back and freight trained it. Pulled it out of its mouth like this and with 5 minutes of untangling, went right back to fishing.

[Linked Image]

This was on High Falls Flowage 2 summers ago. I always have about 4 of these in white/red and green in my tackle box.

Me

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
So far, this one has failed me.
I'll drag it behind the boat some this spring, and if it dosn't produce It's going in the lost cause tackle box.
[Linked Image]

(I should know better than to trust anything called "Xtreme")

MOLON LABE
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My buddy calls it the "Strugglebait". It's a saltwater lure. I always joke that it's got something for everyone. How couldn't it work?

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kingston; 04/13/16.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I think the biggest mistake fisherman make is letting the color catch them. Take the two lures above. That spinner bait in a shad or white w/a shad colored trailer in the fall and spring is dynamite. The runnin bait in that putrid crawfish color is dynamite in a shad color or baby bass color or a chartreuse/blue/chrome combination. It's funny but the old mud bug(a take off of the hellbender and the old arbergaster)in chartreuse/orange belly is still one of the top lures on Toledo Bend after 40 some odd years. So much for bass getting use to a lure and not wanting it. We also don't pay enough attention to green runnin baits...especially those w/orange bellys) as they mimic young crayfish and bream but we pay them no attention because they're so drab in color. A 3-4in grub and tubes are also excellent fish catchers when used in the right colors...salt/pepper, green/red flake, chartreuse/black/red or green flake. When it gets real tough just tie on a weedless road runner in 1/8 or 1/4oz in white/chartreuse or chartreuse/white and go about filling your limit. That bait will catch anything that swims. powdr powdr

Last edited by powdr; 04/12/16.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by teal
Mepps- sacrilege I know but I've never caught a damned thing on them. Ever. Throw anything else over the side - slam fish all day long.

Wacky rigged worms. Dad and brother swear by em, fish them a lot. Not me. Never liked em.

That is sacrilege! I think a #2 gold Mepps is THE best lure made. Not the best for lakes but in the right type of river or stream it is deadly. You need to know how to fish it in the current and once you learn it you'll catch a lot of trout.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most disappointing lure?

Push up bras.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The old homemade "Alka-Seltzer" Lure made from a Clothespin.

Remember these? smile

When I no longer have the right to protect my own person or property...my person and property have become public property in common.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
110 members (10gaugeman, 35, 32_20fan, 257robertsimp, 338reddog, 11 invisible), 1,426 guests, and 688 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,589
Posts18,397,881
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.