Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
W
WyoM70 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Some years ago, while looking for elk from a high ridge at first light, my partner and I spotted two distant bulls entering a high patch of dark timber looking to bed for the day. After waiting for a bit, we decided to go after one of those bulls.

Reaching our departure point, we discovered a vehicle belonging to a young friend who also hunted this area. So my partner backed off and headed in another direction. Having already killed an elk, I stayed put and waited on my partner to return.

Soon thereafter my young friend and his buddy appeared, with eyes the size of saucers. They had been charged by a big dark silvertip grizzly, who had taken possession of an elk carcass higher up on the ridge. That carcass was the remains of an elk I had killed 12 days earlier.

My young friend had also seen those two bull elk and decided to help his buddy find them, but he did not know exactly where they had gone. Trying to find those bulls, they found a grizzly instead.

The big bear came rushing out of the heavy timber without making a sound, other than the popping of sticks. He was a big mature bear, with heavy muscles rippling each time his feet hit the ground! The bear came straight at them, and looked like he meant business!

My young friend had a can of bear spray, and his buddy right behind him had a rifle. Only one word was spoken, and that was "Bear!"

The bear suddenly changed direction slightly when the hunter with the rifle stepped out from behind his friend. The two guys pointed their collective bear spray and rifle at the bear as it ran by them at about ten yards. The bear then disappeared back into the timber.

Shortly after that encounter I met up with these two hunters.

I explained to them that I knew where the two bull elk were bedded, and that I did not expect the bulls to move until just before dark. I also said that I expected the grizzly to still be in the patch of timber where they last saw him.

I pointed out that the grizzly had already found my elk carcass, and if the two hunters killed one of the two elk, then the bear would get yet another free elk dinner just for hanging around the area.

If the hunters were successful, then they would be working on the elk after dark with a grizzly nearby and perhaps watching them! The grizzly might even decide to come down and take their elk from them!

Even worse, this appeared to be a fine way to train a grizzly to come to the shot!

And then I asked them the question that I now put to all of you.

"Do you think you would want to go after those bull elk?"

WyoM70

GB1

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
not if it was late in the day.

if I had help to pack the meat and time to get it done before dark, I'd go after it.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
a man's gotta eat......

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If I was with a group of at least three people.

Bear spray indeed!

Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go

Oscar Wilde~~
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by WyoM70
Some years ago, while looking for elk from a high ridge at first light, my partner and I spotted two distant bulls entering a high patch of dark timber looking to bed for the day. After waiting for a bit, we decided to go after one of those bulls.

Reaching our departure point, we discovered a vehicle belonging to a young friend who also hunted this area. So my partner backed off and headed in another direction. Having already killed an elk, I stayed put and waited on my partner to return.

Soon thereafter my young friend and his buddy appeared, with eyes the size of saucers. They had been charged by a big dark silvertip grizzly, who had taken possession of an elk carcass higher up on the ridge. That carcass was the remains of an elk I had killed 12 days earlier.

My young friend had also seen those two bull elk and decided to help his buddy find them, but he did not know exactly where they had gone. Trying to find those bulls, they found a grizzly instead.

The big bear came rushing out of the heavy timber without making a sound, other than the popping of sticks. He was a big mature bear, with heavy muscles rippling each time his feet hit the ground! The bear came straight at them, and looked like he meant business!

My young friend had a can of bear spray, and his buddy right behind him had a rifle. Only one word was spoken, and that was "Bear!"

The bear suddenly changed direction slightly when the hunter with the rifle stepped out from behind his friend. The two guys pointed their collective bear spray and rifle at the bear as it ran by them at about ten yards. The bear then disappeared back into the timber.

Shortly after that encounter I met up with these two hunters.

I explained to them that I knew where the two bull elk were bedded, and that I did not expect the bulls to move until just before dark. I also said that I expected the grizzly to still be in the patch of timber where they last saw him.

I pointed out that the grizzly had already found my elk carcass, and if the two hunters killed one of the two elk, then the bear would get yet another free elk dinner just for hanging around the area.

If the hunters were successful, then they would be working on the elk after dark with a grizzly nearby and perhaps watching them! The grizzly might even decide to come down and take their elk from them!

Even worse, this appeared to be a fine way to train a grizzly to come to the shot!

And then I asked them the question that I now put to all of you.

"Do you think you would want to go after those bull elk?"

WyoM70

BTDT , killing elk can get dicey in bear country.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If they got a bead on an aggressive bear with two elk capable guns, problem mostly over.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sourdough44
If they got a bead on an aggressive bear with two elk capable guns, problem mostly over.

Except the cluster-fuc'k dealing with Fish and Game dept afterwards.... As sad as it is, that might end up being the worst part of killing a charging grizzly in the lower 48, assuming all people involved are safe at the end of it.

Tanner

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It can even be a real PITA in Canada where there are hunting seasons. A guide I know in British Columbia had to kill a sow that was REALLY charging from a few yards away--not bluffing--and afterward said he almost wished he'd let her chew on him a little, after dealing with the government hassle. Almost....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Training is in session.
[Linked Image]

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dang, I was hoping that was a video.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B3

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
It feels like poop hauling out an elk carcass in the dark in bear country without KNOWING that an angry grizzly is lurking about. I'm usually so beat that an aggressive bobcat could own me after a few miles--I'm not entering into that scenario with more risk than normal. Sounds like a great opportunity for a morning hunt or maybe just hunting a couple of ridge lines away. Cede ground in this case.

I'm not worried about that which I cannot control like grizzlies feeding on remains--I know I've contributed there with absolute certainty. If you hunt in grizzly country you occasionally feed them.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Morning hunt.

LOL
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
With 3 guys, I wouldn't be too concerned. I'm there to hunt elk, just like the grizzly. He can have the scraps after I'm done.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
Apparently come hunting season the Griz LEAVE Yellowstone Park for the gut piles to be found outside the park. They are trained... It is said that some bears on Kodiak and Afognak have learned to come at the sound of the shot. I read one account where a brown came in to about 50 yards from the kill site, laid down and waited patiently while the deer was dressed and removed from the kill site before moving in. Nice bear!

I've hunted moose and caribou in brown bear country for over 40 years now. Only twice have I had a problem with a bear, once when I killed a moose about 100 yards from where someone had killed one the weekend before.

We had to pack the meat about half a mile to the float plane lake, over a ridge, to our camp. On returning to the lake with our last loads of meat, cached about 100 yards up the shore from our tent, we found one hind on the ground with the game bag torn and some bite marks. We cleared a shooting lane from tent to meat, then I hiked the 5 miles out to call our ride (pre cell phone days). 15 minutes after I left my partner added a 150 lb black bear to the meat pile.

The other time was when I killed a caribou high up on the wrong side of the ridge a mile and half from the truck after sunset (I posted this hunt here years ago). Had a 2 or 3 year old brown bear jump me in the creek bottom on my way back to the truck in the dusk. He was expecting meat when he or she came out of that creek and over the bank, 40 feet away, but I wasn't what it was expecting - a caribou or sheep perhaps. It was a little tense there for a bit... what with 2 rounds in the .280 and scope covers on.... smile. Next morning I had to yell it off my caribou kill site. It had eaten the liver, cleaned off the brisket, bitten into the heart, but was laying on the gut pile where it had rolled, some 50-75 yards down the steep slope, when I came up. I had 6 rounds in this time..... a full magazine and chambered round both. smile

Yeah, under the right circumstances, with at least one partner, and somewhat open visibility, I'd go after those elk just before dark - just move the meat a couple hundred yards and probably you would have no problem the next morning. At least not with coastal brown bears - interior griz tent to be a bit more aggressive I am told. Either will likely prefer the gut pile to the meat.

Last edited by las; 04/03/16.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hmm, how close was that bear to the location of the bedded elk, and which way was the wind blowing? I lose interest in killing an elk when I know there is a grizzly very nearby to where I am. Especially when I know it is only moments away from me. When it is that close my chosen route becomes the opposite direction from the bear’s route of travel. No shooting. Particularly if hunting alone. Not going to get to keep the elk anyway, so why kill it.

One thing for certain; I would not want to kill that elk close by where the agitated bear likely is without the ability to get the meat well away from the carcass and gut pile immediately. If I were even considering it, I would want an extra gun with me to watch my back while I worked on the carcass. I would not be at all keen on going back the next morning for remaining meat, particularly in a spot with limited visibility. Aside from not wanting the bear encounter, I would not want to lose my hard won meat.

Training? Might be, but these bears already know that elk carcasses show up in these areas this time of year. Do they make the connection between gunshot and food? They are smart critters, especially when it comes to food procurement. On the other hand, a griz can follow the scent of food molecules a very long ways upwind. Maybe they just need a breeze, not training.

Whatever, you do need to consider your choices. I would rather give the bear space if I know one is right there.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nobody has asked THE most important question:

How big were the bulls?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Tanner
Originally Posted by sourdough44

Except the cluster-fuc'k dealing with Fish and Game dept afterwards.... As sad as it is, that might end up being the worst part of killing a charging grizzly in the lower 48, assuming all people involved are safe at the end of it.

Tanner

Might?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
W
WyoM70 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Nobody has asked THE most important question:

How big were the bulls?

Doesn't matter if you don't get to keep the elk!

Larger of the two bulls was a quite nice 6x6. Not a record book bull by any means, but most elk hunters would like to have one like that.

WyoM70

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Man gotta eat...

Man must defend thyself also...

Lets see, shoulder rifle to grab bear spray.... You know how much ground a charging bear covers in that amount of time??

Boy, glad I do not carry bear spray. Stuff get ya kilt. whistle

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Bear spray is for puzzies that don't know how to use their rifles. If a bear charges me and means business, he's getting hammered by a 250gr. slug. The fish and game can kiss my azz...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

244 members (12344mag, 10Glocks, 257 mag, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 300jimmy, 19 invisible), 1,441 guests, and 903 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,061
Posts18,463,312
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.