Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
I was chasing guns over in far western Montana today when I stopped in at the Cabelas Store in Missoula, Montana.
What did I find on the shelf but 4 boxes of Hornady 17 Mach2 ammo priced at $8.99 a box!
I bought them all.
One of the purposes of this posting is to advise that these Hornady 17 Mach2 bullets are in a brand new style/design of labeling on the familiar 50 round boxes.
I actually looked past them several times not recognizing them - so... these are obviously brand new production and they look a little different so those seeking Hornady 17 Mach2 ammo be aware and look carefully as these have just recently become available. And hopefully, MORE will be showing up right away.
I also scored on some Remington 525 packs of hollow-point Golden Bullets at the Sportman's Warehouse in north Missoula ($34.99 per 525 pack)!
So I had a great day gun and ammo chasin.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Thanks for the heads up, I have 17HM2s to feed.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: I have three 17 Mach2's myself to feed and AM beginning to worry a bit about the future.
I am headed south to Idaho next week and have several stores in mind to check for 17 Mach2 - I hope you come across some soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
I have been wanting a HM2 for a long time. I have decided to buy 2k rounds of ammo first and then buy the gun. It's the best squirrel hunting round I have ever used. Thanks for the heads up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
damn
$8.99?
Those Rimfire Central group buys for $4.00 were sure awesome.

and it was Eley.

I've watched that same Eley go for $16 per on GB.

Have Dog

Will Travel

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like the 17 mach2 is as hard to find as shorts. got a guy at work scratching his head trying to find some shorts for his gun so i brought in a couple boxes i had laying around for him today.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Yep, it's great to see Hornady make another HM2 ammo run. I've seen it for sale from $7.99 - $8.99 from several online retailers. It sells out quick though.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Any experience with how it shoots? My guns still prefer the Eley over anything else.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I loved the M2 because it was 1/3 the cost of HMR for 250fps less speed.
Looks like them days are over.
The CCI and Hornady shoot minute of gopher in my rifles.
Eley was outstanding, though.

Have Dog

Will Travel

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by SShooterZ
Any experience with how it shoots? My guns still prefer the Eley over anything else.

It shot well. This was a 6 shot 50yd grp from a new lot of the Hornady HM2. Wind was about 10-15 mph that day. Overall, it shot pretty close to the Eley that I have. POI of the new Hornady was about 1/4" lower than the Eley at 50yd. Waiting for a calmer day to compare them at 100.

[Linked Image]

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Good deal.......although my new to me CZ HB 452 favors Eley

As did my Salvage M2's.........

Last edited by tikkanut; 03/29/16.

T R U M P W O N !

U L T R A M A G A !

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
260Remguy: I have three 17 Mach2's myself to feed and AM beginning to worry a bit about the future.
I am headed south to Idaho next week and have several stores in mind to check for 17 Mach2 - I hope you come across some soon.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I still have a few thousand rounds of Eley, Remington, and Hornady on the shelf. I bought another Marlin 917M2S for $175 last week. Couldn't resist.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: Good for you on the stock-pile.
I have been travelling this week and doing some Gopher Hunting in between and will head north a couple hundred miles tomorrow but nothing new this week.
Maybe Helena, Bozeman will have something on their shelves.
I was hoping to stir up some reports here on new 17 Mach2 ammo hitting other shelves.
Patience is running low with this situation.
I did take my heavy barrel Anschutz in 17 Mach2 out yesterday and bonked 25 or so Ground Squirrels.
It just takes some of the fun out of "fun shooting" when you have to worry about being able to replace each round that you shoot.
I also sighted in a customized Ruger 10/22 earlier this week for a rancher friend of mine - the Rifle had a heavy Volquartsen barrel on it in 17 Mach2 and had obviously had trigger work done along with a muzzle break of some sort added.
It had a Nikon 4x12 variable and it shot VERY well indeed!
The owner wanted it sighted in at 50 yards so that's what I did.
Five shot groups there at 50 yards were just a tad over 1/3"!
The new owner bought the gun recently from an estate out of Wyoming (IIRC) and it functioned perfectly as well - we were both relieved at that.
IF... this ammo situation were not what it is, I would have made a play to buy that nifty 10/22 - it shot and functioned so well.
Oh well.
I wonder if I should send off some more E-mails to the ammunition manufacturers regarding producing more 17 Mach2?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
260Remguy: Good for you on the stock-pile.
I have been travelling this week and doing some Gopher Hunting in between and will head north a couple hundred miles tomorrow but nothing new this week.
Maybe Helena, Bozeman will have something on their shelves.
I was hoping to stir up some reports here on new 17 Mach2 ammo hitting other shelves.
Patience is running low with this situation.
I did take my heavy barrel Anschutz in 17 Mach2 out yesterday and bonked 25 or so Ground Squirrels.
It just takes some of the fun out of "fun shooting" when you have to worry about being able to replace each round that you shoot.
I also sighted in a customized Ruger 10/22 earlier this week for a rancher friend of mine - the Rifle had a heavy Volquartsen barrel on it in 17 Mach2 and had obviously had trigger work done along with a muzzle break of some sort added.
It had a Nikon 4x12 variable and it shot VERY well indeed!
The owner wanted it sighted in at 50 yards so that's what I did.
Five shot groups there at 50 yards were just a tad over 1/3"!
The new owner bought the gun recently from an estate out of Wyoming (IIRC) and it functioned perfectly as well - we were both relieved at that.
IF... this ammo situation were not what it is, I would have made a play to buy that nifty 10/22 - it shot and functioned so well.
Oh well.
I wonder if I should send off some more E-mails to the ammunition manufacturers regarding producing more 17 Mach2?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

I have converted 3 10/22s to 17HM2 with modified Green Mountain 96/17 barrels and they are reliable and safe if you keep the chambers spotlessly clean. If you don't keep them spotlessly clean, they can be bombs. The point being that your friend would do well to wear eye protection and keep the "iffy" safety of that particular conversion in mind whenever he shoots it.

I don't know if communicating directly with ammunition manufacturers does any good, but I don't think that it does any harm. I have a buddy who is a decision maker at Winchester/Olin and while he listens to me, I don't know if he acts on anything I suggest.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good advice.
I learned the hard way.
Blood.
It's a 22lr again.
I packed a brass brush for a bit after that for field cleaning, but got to thinkin' what if it wasn't me shooting it someday and we are on a 700 round a day gopher shoot.
Not worth it to chance.

Have Dog

Will Travel

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: I will pass along the chamber cleanliness information tonight.
Thanks for the heads up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Wageslave: Thank you as well.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sure thing.
I just shot the bolt action now.

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by wageslave
Good advice.
I learned the hard way.
Blood.
It's a 22lr again.
I packed a brass brush for a bit after that for field cleaning, but got to thinkin' what if it wasn't me shooting it someday and we are on a 700 round a day gopher shoot.
Not worth it to chance.

I think that there is a ton of potential liability in a 10/22 to 17HM2 conversion, so much that I would never sell one in that configuration. There is so much documented history of them being unsafe, I can't see a jury ever not siding with the injured party. Same/same with 10/22 Magnum conversions to 17HMR.

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
260Remguy: Just got back from a "swing" through SW Montana - absolutely NO 17 Mach2 anywhere and very little "useable" 22 L.R. (American made hollow-points!)!
Checked 12 stores/gun shops, or so.
Did buy two guns though a Remington XR-100 in 204 Ruger and an older Smith and Wesson revolver (centerfire also) so the trip was worth it but no good news on the 22 L.R. or 17 Mach2 fronts.
Thanks for your words of caution on the converted 10/22 into 17 Mach2, they will get passed along.
Speaking of 22 L.R. to 17 Mach2 conversions my good friend from New Orleans was one of the first Ground Squirrelers I knew to make this conversion and he did it with a stainless steel Ruger MK-II heavy barrel pistol. It was originally in 22 L.R. of course and he bought a 17 Mach2 barrel for it
If I recall correctly he (we!) have been shooting his pistol for 6 or 7 years now and in high volume numbers like 100 to 200 a day for his 8 day long Safaris with me.
Never a problem that he has mentioned to me - and that pistol is very accurate (with the optical sights) - I forget the brand name of his commercially made replacement barrel.
Safety first is my motto!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

75 members (35, 7mm_Loco, 257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 11 invisible), 1,376 guests, and 835 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,060
Posts18,463,252
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.