Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Georgia’s widely watched attempt to hamper lawsuits against certain business owners who turn away clients because of their “sincerely held religious beliefs” went down in flames Monday after Gov. Nathan Deal vetoed the religious liberty bill passed by the General Assembly.

The bill was aimed in part at countering the legal challenges that erupted in recent months from gay activists who were turned away by private Christian business owners. For instance, the New Mexico Supreme Court in 2013 ruled photographers can’t cite religious beliefs as justification to not take photos at a gay wedding. And in December 2015, Christian bakers were forced to pay a $135,000 fine to a lesbian couple for failing to make them a gay wedding cake.

Deal cited these cases during a press conference at the state Capitol, but said he wasn’t aware of any similar battles in Georgia.

He also said House Bill 757, didn’t paint Georgians as the “warm, friendly and loving people” they are, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported.

He also issued a thinly veiled warning for those who supported the bill to not take revenge on his veto.

“Our people work side by side without regard to the color of our skin, or the religion we adhere to,” he said, the newspaper reported. “We are working to make life better for our families and our communities. That is the character of Georgia. I intend to do my part to keep it that way.”

Deal, a Republican in his second term, had been hit from all political sides about the bill. His office fielded hundreds of calls about the measure, including vows from big-name companies who vowed to quit business in the state if it was passed. Among the corporations opposing the measure: Apple, Disney, Time Warner, Salesforce and the NFL, as WND previously reported. Many in Hollywood also complained, vowing to stop making movies and film productions in the state if Deal signed the bill into law.
The bill was brought forward on March 16 and passed in speedy time by both Republican-controlled sides of the general assembly.

In essence, it gave faith-based organizations the ability to deny services to those who violated owners’ “sincerely held religious beliefs,” and to lay off those employees who didn’t conform to those beliefs.

“Outlasting the Gay Revolution” spells out eight principles to help Americans with conservative moral values counter attacks on our freedoms of religion, speech and conscience by homosexual activists

The bill also put the onus on government to show a “compelling interest” to restrict an organization’s religious rights, much as the federal Religious Freedom Restoration Act signed by former President Bill Clinton does.

Several state lawmakers have already rallied to force a “veto session” to try and override Deal’s signature.

“There are enough votes in the Senate to override,” one state senator, Brandon Beach, said, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported. “I don’t know about the House, though.”

Deal, in response to political pressures he might face from the veto, spoke bluntly.

“I don’t respond well to insults or threats,” he said, the newspaper reported.

The Liberty Institute issued a scathing statement, calling Deal’s veto an attack on religious freedoms.

“Religious freedom is the principle on which this country was founded,” said Kelly Shackelford, president and CEO of First Liberty institute. “Through this veto, Governor Deal turned his back on our founding freedom. Regardless of our differences on certain issues, we should all agree that protecting religious liberty for people of faith, particularly minority faiths, is a good thing. The free exercise of religion is good for society, good for business, and good for the citizens of any state. Vetoing religious freedom is unwise and will harm the people of Georgia.”

Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2016/03/gop-governor-vetoes-religious-freedom-bill/#K1Dy2K3qPcBIM2jH.99

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
LEAGUE OF THE SOUTH COMMENTARY:

Georgia Governor Nathan Deal vetoed the Religious Freedom Restoration Act, thus giving in to pressure by the sodomite community and the anti-Christian big businesses (including the NFL) who support such perversion. The act would have protected clergymen who refuse to perform LGBT marriages. Faith-based organizations, like Christian schools, would also have been extended protection from renting facilities to any organization that held contrary beliefs.

Governor Deal, a Republican, said “I do not respond well to insults or threats” when reminded that he had been the Judas Iscariot to Georgia’s Christian community. But Deal, merely another craven politician, indeed bowed to the threats of big business to take their Almighty Dollars out of the State of Georgia and to the forces of political correctness.

The League of the South has said for the past two decades that the GOP did not represent the interest of Southerners or Christians. In fact, we pointed out that the Republicans were actual enemies of our Southern traditions and Christian faith. Nathan Deal is merely the latest GOP politician to prove how right we have been.

It’s time for Southerners to identify their enemies and kick them out of office and out of the South altogether. They mean to destroy us and all we hold dear, including our Christian faith. It is past time that we understand we are at war with an enemy that will not be placated. He only understands power. Let’s give him a dose of it.

Michael Hill

Done in Convention by the Unanimous Consent of the States present the Seventeenth Day of September in the Year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and Eighty seven.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
the biggest discrimination of this whole affair is by the Gay Community to the rest of those who have different life styles or beliefs than they do....

and just like they did with Scouting, they attack a hallmark program for their beliefs, when those gays involved don't even have children to be involved in the program...

I don't have issues with Gays, until they act like it is a badge of honor and then force their life styles down the rest of the nation's throat....

Satan truly does rule the roost...and his vehicle is called politically correctness... where small groups with deep pockets and big mouths get their ways...

R
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by Seafire
the biggest discrimination of this whole affair is by the Gay Community to the rest of those who have different life styles or beliefs than they do....

and just like they did with Scouting, they attack a hallmark program for their beliefs, when those gays involved don't even have children to be involved in the program...

I don't have issues with Gays, until they act like it is a badge of honor and then force their life styles down the rest of the nation's throat....

Satan truly does rule the roost...and his vehicle is called politically correctness... where small groups with deep pockets and big mouths get their ways...

http://americansfortruth.com/issues...s/national-glbtq-activist-groups/act-up/

Mark Potok comes to mind.
Morris Dees divorce papers are on line everywhere; I suppose they are accurate but who knows... If they are, man! That guy is/was a deviant of the worst kind.

Americans for the Truth website has sixteen tons of documentation but it is very hard to review much of it without needing to vomit. Or rather "power-vomit"

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Seafire

SPOT ON...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drive drunk and get caught, the fine is a few thousand dollars in most states. Annoy a gay couple by refusing to bake a gay wedding cake, it's $100K smirk

Ya know, I wouldn't walk into a Muslim grocery store and ask for bacon - one, they don't have it and two, it's disrespectful to ask. If I threaten them with a lawsuit, it's harassment.

The legal community is looking forward to all the new lawsuits and billable hours they will earn from this issue, when it should be just a matter of civility and common sense. frown

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
"failing to make them a gay wedding cake."

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/28/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by wareagle700
"failing to make them a gay wedding cake."

Bet it tastes like schitt.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Was a poorly worded bad law that didn't benefit anyone in GA. Not even Christians.

If you believe being gay is a sin, and you shouldn't bake a cake for sinners I have no problem with that. But when you bake cakes for fornicators, adulterers, and other sinners you have no legs to stand on when you don't bake a cake for gay's. God doesn't approve either. All sins are equal in his eyes.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Seems pretty fundamental to liberty, as Americans have traditionally conceived of it, to be free to do business (or not) with whomever you choose, without inquiry into one's motives.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by JMR40
Was a poorly worded bad law that didn't benefit anyone in GA. Not even Christians.

If you believe being gay is a sin, and you shouldn't bake a cake for sinners I have no problem with that. But when you bake cakes for fornicators, adulterers, and other sinners you have no legs to stand on when you don't bake a cake for gay's. God doesn't approve either. All sins are equal in his eyes.

+1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I am a little to the right of Attila the Hun in my views. After reading the whole law, in its entirety, I said "Uh Uh...don't care for it." I do support that baker though...and told em to stick it.

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by JMR40

We are all sinners. If you can't come to terms with that then you shouldn't be providing any service or product to the public. Refusing to bake a "gay cake" would be akin to refusing to bake an "adulterer cake" or a "murder cake". Its not that people are hating the sinners, they just don't want to be forced to feed others sins. Any business should have the right to refuse service for any reason and be protected. The same could be said for ministers.

However, those that opposed this bill made it all about hate and discrimination. Funny how that works now days.

Last edited by wareagle700; 03/28/16.

John 8:12 "I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will never walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Seems pretty fundamental to liberty, as Americans have traditionally conceived of it, to be free to do business (or not) with whomever you choose, without inquiry into one's motives.

If you have to serve Blacks, you have to serve queers.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Robert_White

Mark Potok comes to mind.
Morris Dees divorce papers are on line everywhere; I suppose they are accurate but who knows... If they are, man! That guy is/was a deviant of the worst kind.

Americans for the Truth website has sixteen tons of documentation but it is very hard to review much of it without needing to vomit. Or rather "power-vomit"

Those two are a real pair. I read Dees' divorce papers years ago. What a preverted scumbag.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 12344mag, 21, 222Sako, 222ND, 68 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,280 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,243
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.