Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
I bought a new RRA Varmint in 24"Wylde.I changed the barrel to a new 24" 20 Practical before firing a shot.I DB`d the bore.The gun will pick up a few then it will not and you have to pull the charging handle to get a shell in the chamber.The cases eject good and it re cocks,but does not strip a shell.Then it might work for two or three cartridges.I run the bolt wet.Anybody have a clue what is happening and how to cure this?Thanks ahead Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
GB1

A
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
A
The very first thing you need to do is try a different magazine, preferably a Pmag.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Thanks,will do.

Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
yep, run a different mag first.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Does the bolt ALWAYS lock back if firing 10 rounds or so single loaded.........sounds like your loads may be on the edge of being light for the buffer/gas system that you have.

MM

IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
MM , thanks for that heads up too. I just think mag is the first place to check generally speaking.

But do the single round load test!

Sometimes it takes 100 rounds or so for things to settle in...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Strip and clean your bcg if the mag change doesn't help

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
See if it locks back on a single round fired from any magazine. Also what is the ejection location?

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Well I tried different magazines,The 20 rounders that load on the right hand side first,the bolt will not lock open on.The 30 rounders that you load on the left side first,they do lock open on??I was using H4198 when it would not feed correctly.I used H335 and CFE 223 and it feeds correctly as long as I use the 30 rounders.I have about 140 rounds through it now.I even put that upper on another lower and it was better,but still did the miss feeds.I will admit I do not know a lot about AR`s.I have two 223 wyldes that I have run thousands of rounds through with no hiccups.Go figure?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
upper and carrier group oiled well?

Then the load isn't making enough pressure or the gas port hole is not lined up.

Assuming you don't have weird parts like heavy bcg, recoil spring, buffer etc....

IC B3

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by rost495
upper and carrier group oiled well?

Then the load isn't making enough pressure or the gas port hole is not lined up.

Assuming you don't have weird parts like heavy bcg, recoil spring, buffer etc....

Yes,oiled well.It is all RRA except the barrel is a McGowen and Richardsen trigger.

T
TWR Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
A2 stock or carbine?

H
Huntz Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
H
A2 stock.Well, it is all sorted out now.I loaded up 50 rounds with 27.5 grains of CFE223.5 rounds in 10 -20 round magazines.It stayed open when the mags were empty and did not skip a beat.I was thinking that when I Dyna-Bore coated the barrel the gas hole got partially plugged and had to work it self clean.All is good.Now I will shoot for some groups.Huntz

M
M
If the problem rears it's ugly head again, check the action spring. It may have sacked a bit

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
what is an action spring?

And what the heck is "sacked"

I"ve never heard those terms on an AR and I've been around them a LOT since the 80s....

M
M
The action spring is the spring that returns the bolt carrier of an AR to battery, nearly the same function it performs for all self loading firearms.

When a coil spring loses some length or a leaf spring loses some of its arch, the spring is starting to sack, or is sacking. It's a sign the spring is fatiguing and it's growing weak. If the action spring has sacked enough, the rifle will start having feed problems

Last edited by MistWolf; 04/25/16.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Buffer spring?

M
M
Yup. Buffer spring

Last edited by MistWolf; 04/25/16.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
ok, at least we are using the right terminology now. Buffer spring.

Sacking, still never heard of that. Even a google definition doens't verify that wording.

That being said I"ve never seen a weak or worn out buffer spring. I"m sure they could be around. And after about 3 barrels or so I replace my buffer springs anyway.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It's a buffer assembly, and the specific part of the assembly that is a spring, is identified as an action spring. It has been so since it was invented, and is identified as such in every Marine Corps manual I have ever seen. I am pretty sure the Army uses the same terminology, as quite a number of parts manufacturers list action spring as part of the description.

But, usage of the term buffer spring is common, though my guess it originated as some sort of slang term from buffer assembly spring. But reality, the spring does not "spring the buffer", it springs the action, hence it is an action spring.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

625 members (160user, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 16penny, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,046 guests, and 1,222 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,269
Posts18,448,326
Members73,899
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.