Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
super T Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought a lodge cast iron pot recently and have used it for a roast and steaks and I thought it was seasoned well, but yesterday I cooked a pot of pinto beans and to my surprise the beans turned out a blue/black color. What's up with that? Any one know?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
A cast iron pot will do that to beans when you cook them from scratch. I use a stainless steel pot for making Pinto, Anazasi, white beans, etc. I use cast iron for most every other kind of cooking.

Here are some Dutch ovens I use both in camp and on our patio. Great pots = great food.

[Linked Image]

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Member KRP is the man on this.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Was it 'pre-seasoned' when purchased?

Whatever is used and however it is done, produces an extremely disappointing result. Best thing is to burn it off and start anew.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I wish I could master the cast iron thing. I use a big cast iron pan out at deer camp, I cook in it a lot and pretty much always stick food to the bottom of the pan. I've tried following seasoning instructions, it seems I just don't get it right and/or I'm using it wrong.

Something clever here.

IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I wish I could master the cast iron thing. I use a big cast iron pan out at deer camp, I cook in it a lot and pretty much always stick food to the bottom of the pan. I've tried following seasoning instructions, it seems I just don't get it right and/or I'm using it wrong.

Maybe try an epoxy primer on the CI.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

Get it hot BEFORE you put the oil in it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
The thing that I never see addressed is that cast iron holds its heat better than some other materials, so it keeps on cooking after the gas is turned off. This, of course, is exactly the same thing that using (horror of horrors!) an electric stove causes the faithful to spontaneously evacuate their bowels.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

Dave, you might go to the link below and pose your question. Lots of good information on cleaning, seasoning, etc., etc., etc.

http://www.castironcollector.com/forum/index.php

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks, I have a pretty decent pan. I think it's a lodge brand. I'm sure they are great, I just don't have the knack for it. (yet)

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The key to not sticking stuff to cast iron is making sure it's hot before you start cooking on it.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
And, not TOO hot. Plus a spray of cooking oil. gotta have some lube.

blush

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Never had problem with food sticking to a too hot cast iron skillet. The oil bursting into flames and the food being incinerated yes, but nothing stuck wink When the cast iron turns grey, it's telling you it's too hot.

But my observation of impatient family members that leave eggs stuck to the skillet is if they'd waited a few minutes for the skillet to get hot, they would not have had a mess.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I stick less by putting 1/2 teaspoon of bacon grease in a 12" pan and wiping out everything that doesn't stick to the pan with a paper towel than I do floating chit in grease.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
The Griswold cast iron fry pans at my hunt camp have very smooth cooking surfaces. My Lodge cast iron has a bit of texture.

Ive had issues with food sticking to the Lodge pans, never the old Griswolds.

The woods and the water recharge my batteries.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Lodge cast iron is entry level cookware at best.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 12 inch lodge is pretty good. We have had it 20 years and it took at least 5 years to get it wore smooth though.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
So, if I take one of my autobody sanders to the bottom of my 15" lodge skillet... Starting with maybe 40 or 60 grit and working my way to about 500 grit, then season it.

Advisable? Nay?

The idea being creating a smoother bottom.

Something clever here.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
For smoother bottoms, you need to go down to the basement and hit the .223AI thread.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
A
add Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
So, if I take one of my autobody sanders to the bottom of my 15" lodge skillet... Starting with maybe 40 or 60 grit and working my way to about 500 grit, then season it.

Advisable? Nay?

The idea being creating a smoother bottom.

[Linked Image]

Epstein didn't kill himself.

"Play Cinnamon Girl you Sonuvabitch!"

Biden didn't win the election.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 59 invisible), 2,402 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,327
Posts18,468,536
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.