Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
I bought a Marlin XS7 stainless 7mm-08 from Whittaker's last year before season. I mounted a scope that was laying around and off to the range. The rifle shot great and I used it all season. The stock is hollow and is noisy. What is the best material to fill the stock without adding extra weight? I thought about Great Stuff Foam.

[Linked Image]
image hosting 12mb

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I stuffed my Tikka with one of those plastic bags the dry cleaners use.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
You got it right. Great stuff "Big gap" foam. Use painters tape and mask all around the end of the stock. Probably should tape a plastic bag or something around the stock as well. That stuff is messy and is tough to get off whatever it dries on.

It actually helps the curing process to spray a fine mist of water in the stock first, because it is a polyurethane base (similar to Gorilla glue).

Fill halfway or so, let it fully cure, and then cut off the excess that expanded out.

Whatever you use will add weight, but this shouldn't be much over an ounce at most.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Expanding foam filler like "Great Stuff". You are correct.

Edit: Guess I was a little slow...Ken Mi has the process down as well!

Last edited by 1Nut; 04/03/16.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

K
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
K
Thanks guys, I will pick up can of foam and give it a try. Good project for next weekend.

“Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person”
-Fred Bear
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
A hand full of packing peanuts does exactly the same thing as the expanding foam and is a lot easier and less messy. Bubble wrap folded up and placed inside works well too.

I've tried the expanding foam. It works, but is messy and takes a few days to dry. It will keep expanding for 2-3 days, and you can't take it out if you change your mind later.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JMR40
A hand full of packing peanuts does exactly the same thing as the expanding foam and is a lot easier and less messy. Bubble wrap folded up and placed inside works well too.

I've tried the expanding foam. It works, but is messy and takes a few days to dry. It will keep expanding for 2-3 days, and you can't take it out if you change your mind later.

Why would you change your mind about filling a hollow stock?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 260Remguy
Originally Posted by JMR40

Why would you change your mind about filling a hollow stock?
In case you want to fill it with illegal narcotics to cross the border. laugh

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
My Rem 700 Syn is hollow too. I don't notice the noise but

in COLD wx that stock gets COLD like holding a tire iron. I'd like to fix that!!

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Or, do like Ruger and just jam a chunk of styro beadboard in the stock. That's what they do with the American. But certainly not effective.

The expanding foam fills the entire cavity 100%. For voids or recesses in the forend area, black silicone rubber caulk works well. Not nearly as heavy as bedding material, and simple to shape and smooth while wet to the shape it will be when dry.

IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have a Remington 783 with a hollow stock. It sounds like the cowbell in "Don't Fear The Reaper".
There are a few youtube videos on how to but but seems like a simple chore.

Fight fire, save lives, laugh in the face of danger.

Stupid always finds a way.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
How are you introducing bead board/ packing peanuts/ dry cleaner bags/ expanding foam, etc. into the stock?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The Great Stuff foam works well. I clamp it forend down and mask around the outside near the butt end. If it expands too much you can cut it off level with the edge with a serrated bread knife. This seems to get the cavity completely full and made a significant difference while adding very little weight.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Yep Great Stuff foam works well. Best to do it in two passes to give it time to cure properly.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jwall
My Rem 700 Syn is hollow too. I don't notice the noise but

in COLD wx that stock gets COLD like holding a tire iron. I'd like to fix that!!

Jerry

Stuff chemical handwarmers in the stock? laugh

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you choose expanding foam, be aware that there are different kinds with different expanding rates. One with the high volume needs to be introduced a little at a time or it can crack your stock. No my observation but something that I read somewhere. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by milespatton
If you choose expanding foam, be aware that there are different kinds with different expanding rates. One with the high volume needs to be introduced a little at a time or it can crack your stock. No my observation but something that I read somewhere. miles

Use Low Expansion foam - it is the type that is used around doors and windows. Works great.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Plastic grocery bags.

Takes about 3 minutes. Free.

P

Obey lawful commands. Video interactions. Hold bad cops accountable. Problem solved.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Member #547
Join date 3/09/2001
E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
I too have used plastic grocery bags in my synthetic stocked guns. They are essentially free, add little weight and do a good job of deadening the sound. I have used a ramrod or arrow to help pack them down as I add them.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I'm actually thinking of ordering some marine grade, structural foam, and experimenting with that over carbon rods for forends (instead of heavy epoxy) in the current rash of flexy stocks. The window foam will work in butt stocks, and Browning has used it. Also, they used to make a black, waterproof version for fish pond use, that is really good for this kind of stuff.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

433 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 1eyedmule, 1_deuce, 45 invisible), 1,974 guests, and 1,009 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,720
Posts18,457,227
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.