Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Which Wine Should I Serve with Dinner?
copyright 2016 - Steve Redgwell

When I'm serving venison, I always deliver it with a few bottles of wine. It's part of a rich hunting tradition. Or maybe not. I think that years ago, before they watched the cooking shows on television, the rich got served wine to hide the gamey taste of the meat.

Regardless, I would be remiss if I did not recommend a bottle of 'ye olde grape' right now. There's always room at the table for a savoury Bordello or fruity Chevrolet. It's funny, but the British call a Bordello a Clarinet. I've no idea why.

White or red? It used to be that you served white with fish or fowl. Red was best with beef or lamb. But that was in the days when we had fewer spices and seasonings for our food. Heck, we had fewer foods period.

For European peasants, it was gruel with water for breakfast, and gruel with water for lunch. If they got dinner, it was usually gruel with water, or a splash of goat's milk. And just so you know, gruel was usually made from oat, rye or wheat flour, which was ground up and mixed with water and made into a runny paste.

On special occasions, gruel and cider was served. That's just fermented fruit juice, made in a dirty bucket or cask, complete with insects and the odd, unfortunate mammal floating on the top. Usually, it was a drowned mouse or a vole.

The rich got venison, pheasant or quail, vegetables and a key to the wine cellar.

The best rule of thumb is to drink whatever you like, regardless of the meat served. Discrimination because of colour went out with President Johnson in the 1960s. Reds are no longer expected to sit in the back of the wine rack. If you like that odd taste of tannin, muckle onto a bottle of red and empty it. A glass is optional.

While red wine has that funny, dry taste that some people don't like, the whites are usually sweeter. 'Sweet' being a relative term. It is an interpretation of what your taste buds like. What works for me may not be good for you. As a general rule, keep more whites in your rack for company, unless you're a vintner with a lot of grape savvy friends.

For the hoi polloi, sparkling wines are always a treat. Rosey or Cave wines should be drank from a tumbler or straight from the box for the full effect. Plastic is the new glass. Just make sure your polymers are imported for that classy look.

For some reason, the Swiss don't like wine. They ferment a high acid wine that's called 'Gamey', which doesn't sound appealing. It's also got a short shelf life. No doubt! I've never tried it, but I'm told that it's made to be drank quickly after bottling. I figure it must be made for winos.

Moving on, you old Canadian hippies might remember those green, oval shaped bottles of Portuguese Matthews Rose, eh? wine as the ones people put candles in and let the wax run over and onto the sides.

[Linked Image]

Besides Portuguese Matthews wine, there's also Portuguese Madonna wine. Madonna is the name of an island directly west of Morocco (that's in NW Africa), but is owned by the Portuguese. They produce tasty wine despite being surrounded by salt water.

What makes Madonna wine so good is it is produced the same way that Lady Madonna performs in her stage shows. The grapes (and the audience) are heated to 110 degrees and then allowed to cool slowly.

Regardless of which wine you drink, always remember to drink enough to get a buzz. You're carrying on a historical tradition. Peasants and the lower classes always drank for effect whenever they got near a cask. And of course, Robin Hood's merry men wouldn't have been so merry without it!

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
GB2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
What wine should I serve with breakfast, or does breakfast call for beer and/or whiskey?

What fresh Hell is this?
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
Breakfasts are made for whiskeys. You've just come off eight hours of rest and your body needs a kick start.

Food will sit heavily on your stomach because it hasn't been doing much all night. It has to be tickled as well. One or two shots should do the trick.

After you've been up for a couple of hours, feel free to have some bacon and eggs with beer. Beer is good for the digestion.

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
G
G
I like a good Breakfast Scotch

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
154 members (338Rules, 32_20fan, 358WCF, 257_X_50, 1minute, 300_savage, 19 invisible), 1,977 guests, and 945 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,650
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.