Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anyone picking up sheds yet? My brother and I have been hitting it pretty hard the last week or so... No fresh brown yet, just chalk, but they'll be dropping any day now..

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ben

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The little MD bucks around my house have shed theirs

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Been in the 60's and windy.

Still not suitable for outdoor activities.

Clark

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've been around here multiple times and found nothing. I'm probably done for the year, but may stumble on a few during turkey season.

I enjoy handguns and I really like shotguns,...but I love rifles!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Been in the 60's and windy.

Still not suitable for outdoor activities.

Clark

"Windy" does not sufficiently describe it...

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ben, I posted this on another thread today.

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Month or so back. Most of the bucks we bumped were still adorning headgear.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
2010 21 brown elk antlers

2011 20 brown

2012 26 brown

2013 19 brown

2014. 14 brown

2015. 2 brown

2016 0 brown thus far

Have seen fewer bulls this spring than ever before. They are most all gone from this neck of the woods. Good luck out there fellas. If you live in elk country enjoy the good days of picking up brown bone. It will soon be over for you as well.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
What's the story, Timber?

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Too many hungry critters have moved into the neighborhood. Finding lots of skeleton and fur piles but not seeing many bulls anymore or finding as many sheds as years gone by. Im actually contemplating going to Utah or Nevada to shed hunt. Have some friends that go over there now and do ok. One friend describes shed hunting now in SW MT as " a hundred people out looking for one bone".

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

3-7-77
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Why not come join the masses here in Utah. I know guys who take more vacation time to hunt sheds than they do during hunting season. Its getting ridiculous how many people are on the mountain going off trail with ATVs, sitting on an animal until it drops one side then harassing the animal until it drops the other side,flying the country with drones or even ultra light planes, trained dogs, etc etc etc.
I guess at $15 a pound you can pay for an airplane.
Please everyone, if your going to hunt sheds, be mindful and considerate of the animals and the environment.

rant over

Everyone is pretty on the internet!
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Sweet pics Ben, always a little rush when you spot a decent elk horn!

Roundoak, super sheds, wow!

Fishnut, that is insane.

People always come ask my dad to poke around and look for sheds. He's always cool, yeah sure.

Last month some assclowns took a couple full skulls right from an obvious 'display'. One decent 5x5 I shot 3-4 years ago and a similar size pick up.

I had them wedged in a barbwire fence by an old road sign and wagon wheel, right by the gate less than 200 yards from the house....

Seriously stupid.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I haven't done so well yet this year.

Last year was great. I found 9 nice big sheds prolly 280 or better including a 7x pair and lots of smaller non-typical stuff.
Followed that up with a few while hunting - a couple dead heads and a nice trophy pair.

Pair of deer sheds last weekend as they lay. Sorry to admit that's the best thing I've found this year.
[Linked Image]

My dead head collection grew by a couple while hunting last fall
[Linked Image]

This was a nice find, 6x7 pair (last fall though)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
2015 I was pretty lucky. Had a lot of fun roaming around with my blue heeler.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This (barely) 7x7 pair was nice enough to nail to the barn. (last year)
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes. Maybe I'll still run onto something this season.

N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Nothing here yet.

Saw 60+ elk last weekend. 6 were bulls with full headgear.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Great pics Alamosa! Some dandies there....

Sam that stinks... I can't stand knuckleheads like that. Nash and I went out a couple days ago, hiked a few miles back in some fairly gnarly breaks..... Didn't find anything but 4 wheeler tracks, literally on every ridge and in every coulee we walked.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by mtcurman

Sam that stinks... I can't stand knuckleheads like that.

+1
My thoughts also.
I really enjoy when someone remembers an animal that way, creates a landmark, shares his icon on a fence or tree or old building.

Years ago I read in Bugle where the elk themselves would return to the site of old dead heads that hunters had placed on trees.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mtcurman: The field adjacent to my house had 138 Mule Deer in it this morning and not one antler to be seen on a head anywhere.
Yesterday (April 18th) I answered an "emergency" call from my rancher friend who's two best ranch dogs were missing over-night.
I took my optics to some high ground over-looking about 1/2 of his ranch and out of 400+ Whitetailed Deer I saw just one smallish buck with antlers afixed was seen.
His dogs were also spotted swimming in a creek and rolling in mud.
The critters have "shed", for the most part in my area, (SW Montana) anyway.
I sold several antlers (and refused an offer for a shed Moose antler I found this spring) to a roadside antler buyer this past Sunday and his pickup bed was at least half full of fresh sheds when I got to him.
Its becoming quite a business in these parts.
My friend just 28 miles north of me sold $1,700.00 worth of Elk, Mule Deer and Whitetail Deer horns last year and that did not count the "nice" ones he kept!
Good luck to you all.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Fishnut: I know a fellow here in SW Montana that flies an ultra-light plane to spot Elk and Moose sheds.
He does well!
He marks their location on a G.P.S. and then comes back later afoot and retrieves the previously spotted sheds.
He enjoys the flying, the Hunt for sheds and then the exercise to retrieve them.
I don't think I have ever heard anyone complain about his type activities - that is, until YOU referenced them.
Hmmm...
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mtcurman: A friend of mine was Hunting sheds South East of Ekalaka, Montana last week and came upon some folks who had trailered horses over 1,100 miles to Hunt sheds there!
Rumors abound around here that "unscrupulous" shed Hunters are now using infra-red night vision goggles to steal sheds off of private lands!
I don't know?
But I do know a rancher that used to pick up 200 to 300 sheds a year and as of the last few years he gets maybe 20 a spring!
Shed poachers are suspected because if anything he has many more Deer on his ranch than he did in the past.
The reason he picked them up in the past I guess they would harm his farm equipment and tires and they sold for a couple bucks a pound?
He did start selling them on a yearly basis some time ago but now he finds so few he only sells them every few years.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

591 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,247 guests, and 1,144 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,205
Posts18,466,093
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.