Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Took the new Ruger out for it's first run today.

Shot cast 200gr SWC .452" from the ACP and Colt case, and shot some 230gr XTP from the ACP case. All were fueled by Unique.

Range on all the paper was 25 yards. Was sitting in a folding chair, with wrists resting over a knee. Pretty stable position, but wind was about 20 mph from 9 oclock.

Everything shot reasonably well, and the 230gr XTPs stood out for tigh grouping. Here are a few targets.

This was the first rounds fired. 200gr SWC over 6.4gr Unique in the 45ACP. I fired 12 rounds that were centered but low (the circled holes). Made an elevation correction and fired the last six into the square.

[Linked Image]

Second target is 12 rounds 45 Colt, 200gr SWC over 8.0gr Unique. Not horrible, but a bit looser than the 45 ACP with the same bullet.

[Linked Image]

The 45 ACP with 230gr XTPs over 7.4gr Unique were the last I put on paper. They shot very tight.

[Linked Image]

Out of curiosity, I tapped a .452" cast bullet through each of the cylinders, and they both were .4515 after. Not sure of exact bore size, but there was no leading to speak of.

After checking accuracy on paper and getting the sights dialed in, I did some rock plinking at distances out to about 100 yards. Overall I'm real happy with it.

[Linked Image]

Shane

BP-B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks a good range trip to me. Some pretty fair shooting too. Nice gun.

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Looks like you got a winner to me. Good job.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm going to come up with a dedicated load for the 45 Colt.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a 270gr Keith, and 9 or 10 gr Unique for somewhere in the 900-1000 fps range.

Shane

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm going to come up with a dedicated load for the 45 Colt.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a 270gr Keith, and 9 or 10 gr Unique for somewhere in the 900-1000 fps range.

Shane

I think you'll like that thinking. A 270 WFN over 10.0 grains is a very controllable load at the top of that velocity range.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
B

I need to find one of those convertibles.

When I die I hope I don't start voting democrat.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i haven't seen Unique in years. had to go to with Green Dot lately.

my 4 5/8" Blackhawk started letting the base pin walk out. the Belt Mtn pin and new latch parts fixed it.

yours looks good with those grips. i may scare up a set for mine.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by toad
i haven't seen Unique in years. had to go to with Green Dot lately.

my 4 5/8" Blackhawk started letting the base pin walk out. the Belt Mtn pin and new latch parts fixed it.

yours looks good with those grips. i may scare up a set for mine.
Unique is common around here, at least it was the last time I bought any powder, which was probably about a year ago.

Those are the standard grips for Blackhawks now, straight from the Ruger factory.

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
i have the same gun. changed out the grip frame to a bisley and my groups were cut in half, recoil becomes much more manageable with the bisley frame when using full heavier loads as well.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Try the RCBS 270 SAA slug and you will not use anything else.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Tim M
i have the same gun. changed out the grip frame to a bisley and my groups were cut in half, recoil becomes much more manageable with the bisley frame when using full heavier loads as well.

[Linked Image]

A
acy Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
MontanaMarine, my next handgun is going to be a 4 5/8" Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Kind of going back and forth between the convertible and the 45 Colt only. I reload everything, and can load the Colt to acp/original Colt velocity, or up to heavy loads. Since you are also reloading, do you anticipate using the acp cylinder much? Already loading for a 1911, so have those dies/components anyway, just not sure about the extra cylinder. Thanks, Al.

M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
Al,

I imagine I'll use the 45ACP cylinder a fair amount.

I'm already loading for a Glock 45ACP, so figure I'll shoot a fair amount of the Glock loads (the 230gr XTP and 200gr SWC) in this revolver as well.

I found this one on Davidson's (Gun Genie). There were a few more in stock.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
And look at Accurate#5 for your Acp loads.tried it and found a winner with 200 SWC's.

Bangflop! another skinning job due to .260 and proper shot placement.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Daverageguy
And look at Accurate#5 for your Acp loads.tried it and found a winner with 200 SWC's.

I have been using AA5, AA7, and AA9. I have been casting 270 to 180 gr flat point and hollow point and powder coating them. The AA( with the 280 gr and AA9 shoots real well.

AA9 and 350 gr Keith style are fun too.

I did not get the convertible but have the same Blackhawk and I have over a hundred pieces of 45 Auto-Rim brass I am thinking of loading up with 230 gr cast just for fun.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Good shooting and nice revolver MM.

If that were mine, it would never see the 45 LC cylinder.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
M
I'll probably shoot more ACP through it than Colt. I already have the SBH 44 dialed in with a T-Rex load.

This thing is just fun with the ACP, and is accurate.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the grips. Too narrow for my taste, and the checkering is sharp enough to feel after a few cylinders. But i'll be putting some nicer grips on it.

Another little thing I like about the shorter ACP case is that the ejector rod pushes it all the way out.

Shane

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I scrounged up a SBH hammer/trigger for mine somewhere along the line.

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'll probably shoot more ACP through it than Colt. I already have the SBH 44 dialed in with a T-Rex load.

This thing is just fun with the ACP, and is accurate.

The only thing I'm not too keen on is the grips. Too narrow for my taste, and the checkering is sharp enough to feel after a few cylinders. But i'll be putting some nicer grips on it.

Another little thing I like about the shorter ACP case is that the ejector rod pushes it all the way out.

Shane

I really like those narrow grips myself. I agree that the checkering is brutal for a good while though.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Very nice shooting...for the .45 ACP cylinder to do that well at 25 yards...you have a winner.

My guess for the .45 Colt is that you used the same bullet that you used for the .45 ACP loads. If there is not a crimping groove in that bullet my guess is that there was not enough crimp on the bullet and it caused inconsistent ignition or if the bullet was roll crimped the deformation caused the inaccuracy.

I think you are on the right train of thought about buying a heavier 240-300 grain bullet and running it about a grand...

As to the grips...the last Ruger SA I bought was a Flat Top .41 with the smaller XR3 gripframe...had those grips and was miscible to shoot...

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
730 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 204guy, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 73 invisible), 2,935 guests, and 1,294 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,774
Posts18,401,552
Members73,823
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.