Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by lotech

The cartridge is an excellent one and my pre-'64 M70 .300 H&H is among my most accurate rifles.

I bet gun nuts from back when would like to have their pre-64 .300 Wby's back in original .300 H&H configuration. Punching the M-70 H&H to Wby was popular back in the day.

Not too many rounds cycle slicker than an H&H, .300 or .375.

DF

Got that right.. I always scoffed at guys that said they had to pull the bolt back to make sure they chambered a round, because they couldn't feel it. Now I've caught myself doing the same thing on occasion with my 375. The H&H feeds like greasy sausages....They are also very accurate in my experience. Here's how I'd answer mr. Tatelaws questions:

1. Recoils a tiny bit more than a comparable weight 30-06.
2. If it's an XTR it should be worth approx. $750.00
3. Pushfeed Winchesters model 70's are known to be pretty accurate.
4. Ammo and brass is harder to find than other 300 magnums.
5. Brass doesn't last as long because of the case taper.
6. Ballistics are almost identical to the newer 300 WSM.
7. Capacity in some rifles(like the pre 64 model 70) is 4 in the mag box vs. other 300 magnums with 3.
8. Quality of that style of model 70 should be exemplary..

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Speaking of magnums...I think it was around the time Winchester did the push feed .300 H&Hs, they also did some in .270 Weatherby and I think, .300 Weatherby.

Probably not many of these around, either.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
As for.300 H&H brass having a short life span, it seems that should be so, just looking at the case shape. For me, that hasn't been the situation.

I guess I've made my contribution to the deterioration of this thread.

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Does anyone know what the production years were for the XTR models? Or at least when they quit making them?

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They were offered for couple years in mid 1980s. Based on body taper the case would need trimming after every firing. Not sure how that affects useful life because I do not reload. As I said the .300WinMag is far more practical caliber to own rifle in.

IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Last edited by 79S; 04/07/16.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The .300 H&H pushfeeds were originally a limited run done for Wammes Corp (now Acusport) in 1988. There was a "Standard Grade" and a lesser quantity of "Safari Grades" with upgraded wood. A couple years later they briefly added the H&H to the standard catalog for a short stay. Here's my Safari Grade from the Wammes run, easily one of my favorite rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by Slavek
They were offered for couple years in mid 1980s. Based on body taper the case would need trimming after every firing. Not sure how that affects useful life because I do not reload. As I said the .300WinMag is far more practical caliber to own rifle in.

What does this mean? Is it that the taper leads you to believe it'll need trimming every time? Have you actually observed this need to trim every time even though you don't reload?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Some years back there was a box full worth of plated, once-fired .375 H&H brass laying on the ground at my range. I picked it up and still have it even though I don't - and probably never will - have a rifle chambered for that round. My preference, in fact, would be a .375 Ruger if I ever choose to buy a .375 bolt rifle.

Practicality is also why the .300 H&H has such little appeal to me. Yes, as others have pointed out, it feeds slicker than snot. (Yawn.) Brass for the .300H&H is about 2-1/2 times more expensive than .300WM and there are fewer options. Midwayusa.com currently lists 5 types of .300WM brass as in stock with only 2 types for the .300H&H. The story on loaded ammo is about the same with loaded .300H&H ammo costing about 3 times as much as for the .300WM and much more limited in both options and supply. Midwayusa.com currently lists 47 types of .300WM ammo in stock, almost 8 times more than the 6 types in stock for the .300H&H.

For handloaders or aficionados none of this matters much, and that is OK. If I had a shotgun I didn’t want I might trade for it myself. From a purely practical standpoint though, I don’t see the value. The .300H&H won’t do anything useful that a .300WM can’t do as well or better and as a handloader with multiple .30 rifles from .300BLK to .300WM, there isn’t much of a niche left anywhere in the middle. Practicality only goes so far though and scratching an itch is a perfectly valid reason to buy a particular item, be it a rifle or something else. If the OP likes the rifle I hope he gets it and gets a lifetime of enjoyment out of it.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by SCGunNut
The .300 H&H pushfeeds were originally a limited run done for Wammes Corp (now Acusport) in 1988. There was a "Standard Grade" and a lesser quantity of "Safari Grades" with upgraded wood. A couple years later they briefly added the H&H to the standard catalog for a short stay. Here's my Safari Grade from the Wammes run, easily one of my favorite rifles.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Lovely!

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Brass on any belted magnum won't last long - UNLESS the shooter's a reloader and uses a neck-sizer after first firing.

On the H&H series the neck will stretch a bit quicker - but just pay attention to length and it'll be a piece of cake..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by SCGunNut

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Wow!

You done good...

That's a keeper, for sure.

DF

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Last year I tried to set up an identical 2nd elk rifle to my semicustom 700 chambered in 7STW. The 7STW came with a B&C stock with their Maxxguard (rubbery) finish that I really liked for our cold rainy elk seasons. I looked and looked and finally came upon another identical stock. Looking for barreled actions to put into it, I came upon a custom 700 chambered in 300h&h. I was excited as when I was growing up my Grandpa's only hunting rifle was a model 70 in 300h&h. This h&h has proven to be accurate, and its recoil shooting 168 E-tips noticeably less than any 300wm I've shot. Brass is easy to find, it might be a bit more than 300wm brass, but its a hunting rifle so I won't be exhausting brass every month. Lee even makes their collet die for it - though I'll full length size the brass before hunting with it, but its nice for making quick practice rounds. I have a ton of 168 nosler custom comp blems that I use for cheap practice.
Bottom line - its accurate, good power for the recoil given, its a little bit unique, and components are readily available. I like it.
[Linked Image]

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
IMO,buy the .300 H&H TATELAW.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by slm9s

Bottom line - its accurate, good power for the recoil given, its a little bit unique, and components are readily available. I like it.

These are basically the reasons the rifle interests me, the main one being I like older, less common cartridges. I prefer my 220Swift to my 22-250. I know the 300WM is more practical. I've had a couple and the recoil in a sporter weight rifle was more than I cared for. I won't own another unless it's in a heavy barrel, Sendero style rifle. I had a 300WSM. I don't know why, but WSMs just don't trip my trigger.

The H&H is pretty much the only 300 magnum I have any interest in owning, otherwise my 7RemMag will do anything I need from a magnum. I probably wouldn't be nearly as interested in this one if I had to buy it outright instead of trading a shotgun I don't use and some boot for it.

Last edited by TATELAW; 04/08/16.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by elkhunternm

+1!

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by EZEARL

+1!

Imagine that. Campfire members encouraging another member to buy a rifle. Who woulda thunk? crazy

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Originally Posted by TATELAW
Originally Posted by EZEARL

+1!

Imagine that. Campfire members encouraging another member to buy a rifle. Who woulda thunk? crazy
It's the only time the 'fire can agree on something! grin

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC

Ken
E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Hey,when it comes to spending someone elses money what's not to agree on?

IMHO those M70's are way underrated. And as far as .300H&H casings and reload tools go their available.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I've had a few Winchester Model 70 push feeds, and for the most parts they have been fine and accurate. Also had a pre 64 in 300 H&H, that one was very accurate. Like folks say more like a hot 30-06, more of a push than a smack for recoil. I would certainly consider a push feed in 300 H&H, they did not make many. Having said that the one rifle I never could get to shoot under 2" was a push feed Model 70 XTR in 243.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (338reddog, 257_X_50, 808outdoors, AB2506, 19rabbit52, 338Rules, 12 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,718
Posts18,457,116
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.