Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter
Some years back there was a box full worth of plated, once-fired .375 H&H brass laying on the ground at my range. I picked it up and still have it even though I don't - and probably never will - have a rifle chambered for that round. My preference, in fact, would be a .375 Ruger if I ever choose to buy a .375 bolt rifle.

Practicality is also why the .300 H&H has such little appeal to me. Yes, as others have pointed out, it feeds slicker than snot. (Yawn.) Brass for the .300H&H is about 2-1/2 times more expensive than .300WM and there are fewer options. Midwayusa.com currently lists 5 types of .300WM brass as in stock with only 2 types for the .300H&H. The story on loaded ammo is about the same with loaded .300H&H ammo costing about 3 times as much as for the .300WM and much more limited in both options and supply. Midwayusa.com currently lists 47 types of .300WM ammo in stock, almost 8 times more than the 6 types in stock for the .300H&H.

For handloaders or aficionados none of this matters much, and that is OK. If I had a shotgun I didn’t want I might trade for it myself. From a purely practical standpoint though, I don’t see the value. The .300H&H won’t do anything useful that a .300WM can’t do as well or better and as a handloader with multiple .30 rifles from .300BLK to .300WM, there isn’t much of a niche left anywhere in the middle. Practicality only goes so far though and scratching an itch is a perfectly valid reason to buy a particular item, be it a rifle or something else. If the OP likes the rifle I hope he gets it and gets a lifetime of enjoyment out of it.

Great post. I've contemplated buying a 300 H&H many times as different rifles presented themselves. Most of the ones I've seen have been pre 64 model 70's. Talking to a few members here, they explained to me why the 300 H&H may not be the best rifle to buy. I've listed reasons above in an earlier post. Regardless, a few mangina's got bent out of shape: Redneck, the casings of the 300 H&H will not last as long as a comparable 300 win mag or its ballistic twin, the 300 WSM. Pretty plain and simple fu cking truth, that may be hard to swallow. It's not about it being a "belted mag", it's about case taper and mechanics. Hint... As long as I have a good 30-06 and 338 win mag in the stable, I don't need a 300 magnum of any kind. To the OP, buy it if you want it. They are fun and also have some pros to consider, as I also pointed out in my previous post. It's your money and not my hard earned money, so you need to do what's right for you. Often times, we look for support from other members here to help spend our money. I think this is one of those times... laugh

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The issue with the cases is that a 300H&H headspaces on the belt. Most newer magnums have a shoulder that controls/or can control headspace. As long as one ONLY neck sizes the case and uses the same case in the same rifle then at least for myself I never had issues with brass. Most cases were loaded more than 7 times before any issues. One will see where it stretches just before the belt, leave it stretched and only neck size and it is not an issue. When the bolt is just a bit tight on chambering you have sized the case correctly. Of course if one loads to the max every time case life is shorter.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
Originally Posted by lotech

The cartridge is an excellent one and my pre-'64 M70 .300 H&H is among my most accurate rifles.

I bet gun nuts from back when would like to have their pre-64 .300 Wby's back in original .300 H&H configuration. Punching the M-70 H&H to Wby was popular back in the day.

Not too many rounds cycle slicker than an H&H, .300 or .375.

DF

I've got one DF. Wouldn't give it up for three times what I paid for it. Still feeds those WBY cases really slick.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Now that's a bad azzed rifle Scotty. You should post pics of it in the Winchester forum. "Let's see your model 70's"....When did you get that one and how does she shoot????

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It's been kicking around for awhile BSA. Haven't done a whole lot with it yet to be honest. I'll post it up over there though.

I like the rifle, metals pretty good, functions nicely. Stocks refinished but pretty decently done. It's a elk rifle so it's not likely to stay in that stock anyhow, but I'll keep at it a little at a time. For the pure P64 guy it's a travesty, to me, it was a score. I like the 300 WBY and I love P64's....

Semper Fi
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
It's been kicking around for awhile BSA. Haven't done a whole lot with it yet to be honest. I'll post it up over there though.

I like the rifle, metals pretty good, functions nicely. Stocks refinished but pretty decently done. It's a elk rifle so it's not likely to stay in that stock anyhow, but I'll keep at it a little at a time. For the pure P64 guy it's a travesty, to me, it was a score. I like the 300 WBY and I love P64's....

Hey, throw that one in a McMillan and rock on. It will take care of elk almost as well as your favorite elk rifle... wink. I'm liking that one.. and if the diminished collectability of the rifle bothers you that much, next time you are down visiting your buddy in Lyle look me up. I'll take it off your hands... laugh . Not much that rifle can't handle with 84 grains of IMR7828 and 180gr. Nosler partitions...

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They are great rifles. I had one that dearly loved the 180 grain Winchester factory load and like a big dummy I traded it off.

Not one of my stellar gun moments. frown

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
You will find the 300 H&H easy to shoot. It kicks much less than the 300wby, and is extremely accurate.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by beretzs

Hey, throw that one in a McMillan and rock on. It will take care of elk almost as well as your favorite elk rifle... wink. I'm liking that one.. and if the diminished collectability of the rifle bothers you that much, next time you are down visiting your buddy in Lyle look me up. I'll take it off your hands... laugh . Not much that rifle can't handle with 84 grains of IMR7828 and 180gr. Nosler partitions...

Yup, you are entirely correct. It's a neat rifle. Never been much of a 30 caliber nut.

Time permitting I'll work with it a little and see if it's worth the work. I'd imagine a McM or Legend would make it pretty darned good though.

Semper Fi
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Redneck, the casings of the 300 H&H will not last as long as a comparable 300 win mag or its ballistic twin, the 300 WSM. Pretty plain and simple fu cking truth, that may be hard to swallow.

If full-length sizing is used, you're absolutely correct.. But proper neck-sizing and trim will allow nearly an equal shooting number between the two before toss.

I've done it now for, oh, about 42+ years...and it's got nuthin' to do re: mangina... Sorry to disappoint.. laugh laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
IC B3

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Redneck: My experience with the .300 H&H brass coincides with yours. I neck size minimally and bolt closes with very slight resistance. After a number of firings, a full-length size may be required. I've never counted the number of times a case can be loaded, but it's comparable with other rifle brass.

Just guessing, but I'd say full-length sizing after each firing would limit case life to four or five loadings, particularly if a stout load is used.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by lotech
Redneck: My experience with the .300 H&H brass coincides with yours. I neck size minimally and bolt closes with very slight resistance. After a number of firings, a full-length size may be required. I've never counted the number of times a case can be loaded, but it's comparable with other rifle brass.
Exactly.

Just guessing, but I'd say full-length sizing after each firing would limit case life to four or five loadings, particularly if a stout load is used.
You're not guessing my friend - you're spot on. Full-length sizing for a belted magnum is honestly safe to 3.. I would not go over 4 before tossing and starting over.. But that's just me.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Thought I would update this thread.

The owner of the H&H traded it to someone else that I know and that I ran into last night at a mutual friend's place. The new owner evidently didn't realize the difference in a 300 H&H and a 300 Win Mag either. He tried to load a Win Mag cartridge and it wouldn't fit. He looked down the barrel and saw what he thought was the brass ring of a casing that had separated from the head and gotten stuck in the chamber. Instead of confirming this with a gunsmith, he decided he could get it out himself. He proceeded to run a tap up in the chamber intending to screw it into the brass casing and pull it out but it wouldn't come out. After he told me this story I offered to take the rifle to my gunsmith and see if he could get it out, if that was indeed the problem. I didn't tell him what I feared he had done.

After a quick look by my gunsmith today, he confirmed that there was no brass in the chamber and the chamber was ruined. Re-barreling is about the only option.

The rifle is indeed an XTR model, stamped on the barrel, and it is pristine other than the ruined chamber. Expensive lesson for him!

Last edited by TATELAW; 04/29/16.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by TATELAW

The owner of the H&H traded it to someone else that I know and that I ran into last night at a mutual friend's place. The new owner evidently didn't realize the difference in a 300 H&H and a 300 Win Mag either. He tried to load a Win Mag cartridge and it wouldn't fit. He looked down the barrel and saw what he thought was the brass ring of a casing that had separated from the head and gotten stuck in the chamber. Instead of confirming this with a gunsmith, he decided he could get it out himself. He proceeded to run a tap up in the chamber intending to screw it into the brass casing and pull it out but it wouldn't come out. After he told me this story I offered to take the rifle to my gunsmith and see if he could get it out, if that was indeed the problem. I didn't tell him what I feared he had done.

After a quick look by my gunsmith today, he confirmed that there was no brass in the chamber and the chamber was ruined. Re-barreling is about the only option.

The rifle is indeed an XTR model, stamped on the barrel, and it is pristine other than the ruined chamber. Expensive lesson for him!

Ohhh, that's gonna leave an impression with the new owner. I'll bet he wishes he never tried to do that.

I wonder if he could punch it to .300 Rum or .30 Nosler and clean the chamber up?

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I hope it costs him to be stupid.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Bubba is alive and well too bad he screwed up a nice rifle.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

T
TATELAW Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Originally Posted by TATELAW

Ohhh, that's gonna leave an impression with the new owner. I'll bet he wishes he never tried to do that.

I wonder if he could punch it to .300 Rum or .30 Nosler and clean the chamber up?

I took the rifle back to him and he has found a 300 Win Mag XTR barrel for sale on Ebay. That was the cartridge he wanted in the first place, he's just going to have a lot more money in the rifle than he intended in order to get it.

I thought about the RUM or 30 Nosler myself but I don't know that he could get peak velocity with a 24in barrel. Probably would be able to get 300WinMag speed with much more expensive ammo. He's not a reloader so he will be using factory ammo. I figure he'll be happy with the rifle after the barrel swap.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
I hope it costs him to be stupid.

I hope it hurts to be that stupid.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 16penny, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,222 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,208
Posts18,466,127
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.