Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I took my trusted 15 year old Leki poles to Kodiak last Fall for a mountain goat hunt....when I slipped and started a long, dangerous side down a grass chute I jammed my pole into the rocks/grass to arrest my slide.
The weathered, old pole snapped in two, but I was stopped, safe and sound. Thankful to be okay.

I sent the poles in last month to Leki with a letter stating what happened and last week I received completely rebuilt poles.
The only thing remaining from the originals are the handles and top sections.
The two lower sections, anti-shock springs, carbides and baskets are all new.

kudos to Leki!

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That's good to know. Seems like they build a really solid pole.... Might have to try a set out this year.

Tanner

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A set of their folders will be my next set of poles

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I just retired my old trekkers with honor -- they failed on a pack (finally) and I collapsed them and left them in the boonies. I'll be surprised if anyone ever sees them again. Leki poles are on my list now.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I am adding trekking poles to my back country hunt this year. Any brand other than Leki worth considering? Black Diamond?

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by prm
I am adding trekking poles to my back country hunt this year. Any brand other than Leki worth considering? Black Diamond?

Black Diamond flic-locs will be my next pair.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'll second Black Diamond, and give Leki a -1.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
I use black diamond. Broke both on a brutal hike up a mountain last year. After I broke the first one, I figured the odds of breaking another one were low.. (grin) Took them apart with my eating utensil that happened to have a slot screwdriver built into it, cut new notches with a bone saw and they worked fine for the rest of hunting season.

Ordered the replacement sections needed, but I might just see how long my repairs hold for.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
BD flip locks are great, avoid the twist locks. My wife was using them on a steep downhill in Idaho this January when one pole collapsed and she did a faceplant and I couldn't stop laughing. Needless to say she got my poles and had to buy new ones.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
It's good to hear that you came out unscathed and got your poles fixed up broomd!

I bought what may have been the last pair of 14.3 oz Leki Carbonlite XL trekking poles from Basegear in Oregon recently, as I just looked and they aren't available any longer. It sounds like these should last me forever...

For those of you who may be looking they do have this 17.6 oz pair on clearance though:

http://www.basegear.com/leki-thermolite-xl-antishock-poles-2015.html

..."I will not tip toe through life, to meet death safely."
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Not hiking poles but backcountry ski poles. I stepped on one of my poles with my skis bent the tip and put a deep score in the tube with my ski edges (not to mention the bodacious face plant). Leki replaced the pole for me.

Good on Leki.

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
broomd Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Calvin
I use black diamond. Broke both on a brutal hike up a mountain last year. After I broke the first one, I figured the odds of breaking another one were low.. (grin) Took them apart with my eating utensil that happened to have a slot screwdriver built into it, cut new notches with a bone saw and they worked fine for the rest of hunting season.

Ordered the replacement sections needed, but I might just see how long my repairs hold for.

I had a pair of carbon fiber Black Diamond flik-loks. I used them for an Idaho mountain goat hunt in 2011. By the 6th or 7th hour of hiking in my wrists were killing me.
The rigid, non-spring-loaded carbon shafts were pulverizing my wrists. I grabbed the Leki's back from my wife, she didn't mind the Black Diamonds.
BD makes great stuff, but sometimes the bod tells us what is best.
The Leki's have never given me one hint of problem in 15 years and likely 1000 miles of hiking.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not sure that they are so gracious on the CF ones, but they fixed my AL ones likety split.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1minute, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 222Sako, 54 invisible), 2,795 guests, and 1,223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,710
Posts18,456,891
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.