Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In case turkey hunters here aren't checking the classifieds, maybe you'll want to know about the turkey call I make. It's a unique scratchbox and here's the link in the classifieds:
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...Northern_Scratchbox_Turkey_#Post11092799

I think you'll like it. Waiting for the season to open here, making calls while I wait.

Thanks.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I'll take one. Pm sent in a few minutes for address. Love stuff like that. I bought an old heaters scratch box at a yard sale last year, it sounds ds ok but I bought it as a collectable. I have a Doug Champ box and a Eddie salter box too. I love wooden calls of all types. I will use this one though.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
EH,
Can you expand on your statement that not many wooden calls can make a two tone yelp?

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
If you run the soundboard in a circular motion on the strikerboard, you cover the areas that make both the high and low pitches. It takes a little practice to get the right spot, but I know of no other wooden call that can do it.

Thanks for asking.
Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm not all that familiar with a scratch box but run box calls and pot/peg friction calls pretty handily. Two note yelps are easy peasy with the latter two and it surprised me when you made that statement. I just wasn't aware that the typical scratch box was incapable of a two note yelp.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Are you sold out?

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Doing a seminar this week for a crowd of about 625 people on Thursday, then another for about 150 on Saturday. I should have enough to get through those two events, plus some mail orders.

I have about 50 ready for final sanding, finishing and tuning. So even if I run out, any orders that come in will be filled quickly.

Thanks.
Steve.

A
A
Steve, ordered one last week, approx. how long before shipping, Turkey season in Alabama in full swing.
Thanks

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I ordered one last week, he shipped on Sat and i got it yesterday. who would have guessed that the USPS could get it done that fast!

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by alphapi6
Steve, ordered one last week, approx. how long before shipping, Turkey season in Alabama in full swing.
Thanks

Did you send a check, or order by PayPal? The only order I've had from Alabama was a PayPal order under the name "April." It was shipped on Saturday by First Class mail and the tracking number says it was delivered yesterday to the mailbox. Hope it's yours; if it's not, then I apparently didn't receive your order.

Let me know if there's a problem.
Thanks.
Steve.

IC B3

A
A
Steve, you were correct got it yesterday have not had a chance to look at the call, had a Gideon meeting last night and yes the pay pal account is in my wife's name. Thank you very much.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Great. Thanks.

Steve.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm a little ahead of the game -- I have about a dozen finished right now and 25 more will be ready by the end of the week. Thanks to all who have expressed interest and the many who have already purchased one of my Northern Scratchbox calls.

All have a Pennsylvania Black Cherry body with a cedar soundboard.
www.everydayhunter.com/turkeycall.htm

Steve.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Scratch calls are are about my favorites

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Very impressed with the calls. Easy to use and great sounding. Fast shipping as well. I'm about to order two more for friends!

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sand_Man
Very impressed with the calls. Easy to use and great sounding. Fast shipping as well. I'm about to order two more for friends!

Just filled your order of one Cherry and one Maple. Although they sound the same (both have a Cedar soundboard), the Cherry is much more popular. You got the last Maple for a while.

Thanks. Don't forget to have your friends view the instructional video on my website, www.EverydayHunter.com/turkeycall.htm.

Steve.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

Just filled your order of one Cherry and one Maple. Although they sound the same (both have a Cedar soundboard), the Cherry is much more popular. You got the last Maple for a while.

Thanks. Don't forget to have your friends view the instructional video on my website, www.EverydayHunter.com/turkeycall.htm.

Steve.

Appreciate it Steve, and thanks for the fast shipping. We are always looking for calls with a different sound or tone. I actually thought the Cherry had a softer tone over all than the Maple. I liked both calls. Figured I'd get one of each and let them decide which call they want. Hopefully I can put up a long beard picture this weekend killed using the call!

Russ

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Appreciate it Steve, and thanks for the fast shipping. We are always looking for calls with a different sound or tone. I actually thought the Cherry had a softer tone over all than the Maple. I liked both calls. Figured I'd get one of each and let them decide which call they want. Hopefully I can put up a long beard picture this weekend killed using the call!

Russ

The difference in sound is more likely to come from the fact that the grain in the Cedar soundboard is slightly different. I can tell when I'm tuning them if the wood is a little harder or the grain is a little tighter. That will have at least as much difference as the main body of the call, because the main body isn't the part that vibrates. But then, your ears may be better than mine.

I've made a few dozen with walnut soundboards, but the harder woods are much more difficult to tune because it doesn't vibrate as much over the short span of the scratchbox size. When the walnut works, it has a higher pitch than the Cedar. I don't like to make the walnut version because I throw more of them away that I successfully complete.

Thanks. Hope to see your success photo.

Steve.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Everyday Hunter

The difference in sound is more likely to come from the fact that the grain in the Cedar soundboard is slightly different. I can tell when I'm tuning them if the wood is a little harder or the grain is a little tighter. That will have at least as much difference as the main body of the call, because the main body isn't the part that vibrates. But then, your ears may be better than mine.

I've made a few dozen with walnut soundboards, but the harder woods are much more difficult to tune because it doesn't vibrate as much over the short span of the scratchbox size. When the walnut works, it has a higher pitch than the Cedar. I don't like to make the walnut version because I throw more of them away that I successfully complete.

Thanks. Hope to see your success photo.

Steve.

I can see that. Appreciate the insight from a builder's perspective. Look forward to using my call this weekend. I think it's the most versatile call in my vest now.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've filled all the orders and received some pretty good feedback like this:
"The call is very versatile compared to others I've used for many moons. You can almost carry on a conversation with its range of tone to give the birds exactly what they want to hear! Many thanks Steve for a great product."

Another buyer reported three kills one morning with my Northern Scratchbox call. I have about 10 ready to go, and another 15 I'll have ready in short order, so if anyone still wants one I can fill the order.

If anyone has a success photo they can post, I'd appreciate seeing them. The Pennsylvania season begins Saturday. Hoping to post my own picture soon.

Many thanks to all, and to those who have yet to order -- www.EverydayHunter.com/turkeycall.htm.

Steve.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

424 members (10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 19rabbit52, 49 invisible), 2,537 guests, and 1,177 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,713
Posts18,456,982
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.