Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using the standard Bohning fletching jigs for about 25 years or maybe longer? I've fletched an amazing amount of arrows during that time. I was never really happy with the way it worked, but it was more or less the industry standard tool.

Today on an whim, I bought an Arizona Easy fletch tool. WOW

I'll never use this old one fletch at a time clamp system EVER again! I wonder how many hours of my life I've lost fighting with the Bohning system when I could have been using this Arizona clamp design?

If you have ever considered fletching your own arrows, it's a simple effortless process with the Arizona EZ fletch product. A few suggestions though, keep your fletching glue in the fridge when your not using it. I have found that over time the drying process or the speed that the cement sets up gets longer and longer after it's opened unless it's kept refrigerated.

The next thing, get a bottle of acetone. You should use this to wipe down the jig after each set of fletchings. It will dissolve the cement and prevent any buildup. Plus it will stop the fletchings from sticking to the jig too. Just use it on a Qtip or cotton ball.

Another thought for brand new un-fletched arrows, use some fine 600 grit sand paper to rub the shaft a bit where the fletching will go, and then wipe it of with denatured alcohol. This will get the glue to adhere better.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B

The sand paper pre-treatment is great, for aluminum shafts, not carbon. Don't do this to carbon, you actually weaken the shaft, carbon has enough texture to have the fletch grab it anyway.

I've used the Jo-Jan for years without issue, one fletch at a time, but 6 arrows at a time!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have used a Bitzenberger jig since the early 80s. It works great.
The past few years I have gone to wrapping my arrows with a bright colored wrap. That in my view makes fletching and re fletching easier.
By the way, if you want reasonable priced wraps, go to onestringer.com.

NRA Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Bitz for me as well. I do have a couple Arizona minis and a bohning Helix. But prefer the Bitz

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I've been using the EZ Fletcher for near 20 yrs now.

-Ken

IC B2

JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Bob,
I would not use a belt sander, but most need a slight roughing of the surface.

Gold tip XT may not they have pure raw shafts. But bemeen hunters have some type of coating that makes the adhesion less then perfect.

Speaking only for myself with my personal fletching experience the fine 600 grit lightly covering the surface of the shaft has been an improvement to my fletching work.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have used the Bilz for years and will stick with them. As of Lately I have been using the Quick Spin Shink on that you use boiling Water to install and they work great.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Do my stuff at home on a Jo Jan (have since '85).
Shop I shot for and another I worked at, both have Bitz.
Nice stuff. Big rotating wheel of many jigs, all dialed to be the same (PITA but great when finished)..........was awesome when using slow to cure adhesives.

Now with super glue a single fletcher is downright speedy.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
There is the Bitzenberger and then there is everything else. It has always worked; it ain't broke; and I ain't going to fix it.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I have been using the Arizonas for a while now. They are great for sticking in a hunting kit with a small tube of cement and a few feathers (vanes for the training wheel users grin )

Using the Carbon arrow version to fletch kids Easton aluminum arrows is a breeze, too.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BobWills
There is the Bitzenberger and then there is everything else. It has always worked; it ain't broke; and I ain't going to fix it.

The Firenock jig and the LCA Vanemaster are definitely steps up from the bitz and on my want list. But for the vast majority the bitz is tops

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Jo Jan's since the 80's. I'm usually not in a hurry.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use the Arizona Mini for all my fetchings on my arrows.

The land of the free because of the brave.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I have an Arizona -still in the wrapper since I bought a pack of Starflight FOB's -just saying .

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I have bee using Hoyt Tri-Heli fletch since the 80s .Was given to me by Earl Hoyt .

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Do you have any pics of the Hoyt fletcher? Never knew such a thing exists. Be interested in seeing it if thats ok

Custom Strings/Tuning
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
ill send a pic to rock chucker have him put it on .

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
[Linked Image]

FJB
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I'm a wimp. I use fletch tape with a Bitz.

I have found my unused tape remains good longer than my unused glue.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rockchucker
[Linked Image]

I know where 3 of these are still in use fletching feathers only.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

569 members (12344mag, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 160user, 007FJ, 55 invisible), 2,302 guests, and 1,182 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,609
Posts18,454,873
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.