Hop To
Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by waterrat

Originally Posted by Ready
[quote=waterrat]Jwall What you are missing is,, don't take a marginal shot! Wait as long as it takes to get a bullet into the vitals,, if not thats hunting.

Your not an expert at this!!!

Well put.

Originally Posted by jwall

That from my ZERO experience in bear hunting! I believe in being prepared for the worst case scenario !!
Jerry

How long did it take y'all to figure that out??

I ask Mule Deer a sincere ?

Sometimes in the real world circumstances dictate that you can not wait for your preferred shot.

My ? still stands for Mule Deer.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
GB1

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

There are a bunch of bullets on the market these days that do a good job of penetrating heavy muscle and bone on their way to the vitals. I know this because I've used a bunch of different bullets to hunt game larger than deer. But apparently because there are so many choices these days, many hunters like to pick one as the one and only.

It's a lot like arguing about cartridges, rifles, scopes, pickups, binoculars or anything. Some people think one is superior to anything else, or at least they feel compelled to pick one and let the world know about it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
jwall, I get where you're coming from, so I thought it was a legit question too.

I have come to realize that the 24HCF is full of self proclaimed expert handloaders, LR shooters, LR hunters, one hole shooters, etc, but in reality, occasionally shots don't go exactly where you want them too.......or so I thought.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you use any common sense it is hard to pick a bad bullet today and after that the three most important considerations are bullet placement, bullet placement and bullet placement.

A few years ago I had two ranching brothers from Colorado hunt brown bears with me. One brought his favorite 7mm Rem Mag and the other a 270 Win with 150 Nosler partitions.
The one with the 7 mag punched a single round clear through a big boar just behind the front shoulder for a one round kill and his brother place two quick hits in the same place with his 270 on this boar for a DRT kill.

[Linked Image]

And the comment about possibly not being able to make your preferred shot can be true but on any game, especially dangerous game, you still need to be able correctly place your bullet in a vital area --- Or wait until you can.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Jerry,

There are a bunch of bullets on the market these days that do a good job of penetrating heavy muscle and bone on their way to the vitals.

Thanks MD

Your FIRST sentence explains what you meant. There is more than 1 brand of bullet dependable to do the job.

Thanks for the rest of your response too.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks JG

I tried to describe my intent W/O writing a book.

Posted on P 4.....

I wouldn't be shooting at the lungs in all situations.
I would want a bullet I could count on to ANCHOR the bear.

I would choose one of the 175s already listed by SKane.

That from my ZERO experience in bear hunting! I believe in being prepared for the worst case scenario !!
That leaves OUT any scenar!!
Jerry

When hunting deer/grouse/nutria/squirrel et.al. If you don't get a perfect shot--it's no big deal.

Toothy critters don't always give you the opportunity to say, "Time Out", "No Mas", or "I'm leaving".

Worst case --could be-- you last case.

Thanks
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thanks Mr. S

I appreciate your answer and respect your experience.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 458Win
If you use any common sense it is hard to pick a bad bullet today and after that the three most important considerations are bullet placement, bullet placement and bullet placement.

A few years ago I had two ranching brothers from Colorado hunt brown bears with me. One brought his favorite 7mm Rem Mag and the other a 270 Win with 150 Nosler partitions.
The one with the 7 mag punched a single round clear through a big boar just behind the front shoulder for a one round kill and his brother place two quick hits in the same place with his 270 on this boar for a DRT kill.

[Linked Image]

And the comment about possibly not being able to make your preferred shot can be true but on any game, especially dangerous game, you still need to be able correctly place your bullet in a vital area --- Or wait until you can.

There is so much truth in what Phil says that it's hard to emphasize it enough IMHO.

I have only killed two Alaskan browns. My first one, I did not do a very good job,not because my rifle was too big or I could not shoot it well . I actually hit precisely where I intended...but it was the wrong spot. blush

It was a brief rodeo; I got lucky and it still ended well but it was a lesson I learned that I never, ever forgot...and that is that you have to be very precise with the first shot on any dangerous game.If the conditions are not just right you must not shoot. You can follow a wounded deer or elk with impunity but marginally hit dangerous game can ruin your day.

I vowed to never let that happen again if I could avoid it,and did not repeat the mistake on my second bear. It worked perfectly the second time around.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

When hunting deer/grouse/nutria/squirrel et.al. If you don't get a perfect shot--it's no big deal.

But with bears your first shot needs to be well placed and quickly followed up with additional ones as needed

Worst case --could be-- you last case.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
EXACTLY.

Thanks
Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
338s and 375s and excellent bullets have been responsible for their share of rodeos with bears, statistically perhaps more than other calibers.

.........though, of course, that doesn't mean the rifles or bullets are actually the problem. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Klikitarik
338s and 375s and excellent bullets have been responsible for their share of rodeos with bears, statistically perhaps more than other calibers.

.........though, of course, that doesn't mean the rifles or bullets are actually the problem. grin

I would bet that the 30-06 has probably killed more than either the 338 or 375 as it was the most popular guide's rifle well into the 1960's and is still a valid option.
[Linked Image]

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
FAA Master pilot

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I've always REALLY liked that pic.

Jerry

Last edited by jwall; 04/08/16.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've always REALLY like that pic.

Jerry

Yes I agree. Plus Phil ought to patent that camo pattern.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 458Win

I would bet that the 30-06 has probably killed more than either the 338 or 375 as it was the most popular guide's rifle well into the 1960's and is still a valid option.

wink

And still is considered a 'big rifle' in many parts...and used quite effectively.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
I've always REALLY liked that pic.
Jerry

Yes I agree. Plus Phil ought to patent that camo pattern.

With his endorsement, it outta sell !!

Well, that's the 'clean up' pic. <grin>

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Hey Phil,

Just for curiosity's sake, where would you draw the line and tell a client "no you are not allowed to bring that small of gun on a bear hunt"?

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
N
N
Way, way back in the day a 30-30 was magical medicine.
There isn't anything native to this continent that can't be taken effectively with a properly loaded 7mm Rem Mag., or 30-06 for that matter.
I have a 7 Mag because when I was looking for 'new' rifle a very friendly gun dealer I knew had one for sale that met all my criteria except caliber. He offered me the rifle for half of what I was willing to spend. Yes, he was that good of a friend. So, I decided to give it a try. It's VERY accurate and absolutely reliable. But, I still wish it was a '06.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NcWhitetail
Way, way back in the day a 30-30 was magical medicine.
There isn't anything native to this continent that can't be taken effectively with a properly loaded 7mm Rem Mag., or 30-06 for that matter.
I have a 7 Mag because when I was looking for 'new' rifle a very friendly gun dealer I knew had one for sale that met all my criteria except caliber. He offered me the rifle for half of what I was willing to spend. Yes, he was that good of a friend. So, I decided to give it a try. It's VERY accurate and absolutely reliable. But, I still wish it was a '06.

Howdy neighbor. You're right down the road from me. I'm in Hickory.

Page 3 of 19 1 2 3 4 5 18 19

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (222ND, 2003and2013, 10Glocks, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 60 invisible), 2,520 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,675
Posts18,456,159
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.