Hmmmmm

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by smokepole
You have your head up your ass. But you're right about one thing, it's not hard to figure out.

Some jobs are traditionally compensated at least partially by tips. Everyone knows which jobs these are. If you want to avail yourself of these services, you should expect to pay a tip, and figure the cost of the tip into your total cost.

If you're such a cheap SOB that you're unwilling to pay a tip, don't try to rationalize it by saying the rest of the world should change.

Look in the mirror instead. That's where the problem is.

Those who work jobs that are "traditionally compensated" by tips..... used to understand that those tips were directly related to the service being provided. Now, it seems those who work for tips..... feel they're obligated to receive those tips.... regardless of the quality of the service or experience.

I don't tip schitty waitresses......

I don't tip the cab driver who makes me put my own bags in the trunk....

To Insure Promptness...... that's what TIP means.....

It was..... is..... and always should be.... directly related to the level of service you received.

If you want to work in an industry that is "partially supported" by an unagreed upon arbitrary amount of "additional" dough..... then you better provide exemplary service.

To expect to get paid the "industry standard"..... without providing an experience that's ABOVE that standard.... is pretty Bernie....

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by tedthorn
I brought this topic up in this mornings shop meeting.

In the meeting of 4, I was the only person that has been on any guided hunts. So tipping a guide was news to the rest of the tool shop.

One guy snickers.....then asks

"Tomorrow is trash day. Should I tape a $5 to the can? My guy works hard and I am sure he doesn't make much money"

Then another toolmaker added several other services in our weekly life we are leaving out of the loop.

I think it's funny you tell this story which has nothing to do with anything and then go on guided hunts after proclaiming you make less than the guides but then arguing you shouldn't tip?

Something doesn't make sense in your thought process.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Dogshooter, no one said any different, you're way off base. No one has argued that guides or wait staff should be tipped the industry standard for schitty service.

Go back and read fireball's post, which is what I responded to.

He's trying to make the case that tipping should not exist, and should be rolled into the cost of the service.

I said right up front that a guided hunter should set aside the 10%, but the guide still has to earn it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by GregW

In the meeting of 4, I was the only person that has been on any guided hunts. So tipping a guide was news to the rest of the tool shop.

"Tomorrow is trash day. Should I tape a $5 to the can? My guy works hard and I am sure he doesn't make much money"

Then another toolmaker added several other services in our weekly life we are leaving out of the loop.

I think it's funny you tell this story which has nothing to fo with anything and then go on guided hunts after proclaiming you make less than the guides but then arguing you shouldn't tip?

I was thinking the same.

But I do have a funny story. I was at work the other day, talking with the guys about tipping on guided hunts. And then one of them said, "wait a minute, why are we talking about this, none of us have ever been on a guided hunt?" So I said "good point, but bear with me, I need an anecdote to tell the guys on the 24-hour campfire."

So he said, "OK, tell us about guided hunts" and I told him what I knew. Halfway through, he stopped me and said "let me see if I've got this straight--the guides are responsible for making sure nothing bad happens to you, they take care of your basic needs like food and shelter, they are responsible for the success of your hunt, which depends on their skill and how hard they work, and they work for tips?" "Yep." "And you're asking if you should tip them?"

"That's right."

They just shook their heads, turned around, and walked off. I heard one guy say "well, that explains why he never picks up the check at lunch....."

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think it's funny you tell this story which has nothing to do with anything and then go on guided hunts after proclaiming you make less than the guides but then arguing you shouldn't tip?

Borrow the money and go. Seems like a great idea except that tips get to be a lot more than 10% when you're paying interest on them grin

Sorry but the old "if you can't afford the extra 10% don't go" is phugging bull chit..

Some.....most people have to save for years or even pull bank loans to hunt far off places

The 10% mark is become the standard?

Nuts IMO when factoring in all aspects

By all accounts there are many people in your everyday life that "we" need to be giving the 10% gratuity too....

Lots of low wage people in our lives that work hard for us....think?

Last edited by huntsonora; 04/12/16.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, the 10% "standard" is "phugging bullchit" and nuts in his opinion, but he always tips that amount.

Makes perfect sense to me.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by huntsonora

Borrow the money and go. Seems like a great idea except that tips get to be a lot more than 10% when you're paying interest on them grin

Sorry but the old "if you can't afford the extra 10% don't go" is phugging bull chit..

Some.....most people have to save for years or even pull bank loans to hunt far off places

The 10% mark is become the standard?

Nuts IMO when factoring in all aspects

By all accounts there are many people in your everyday life that "we" need to be giving the 10% gratuity too....

Lots of low wage people in our lives that work hard for us....think?

Drum.....text Chad (our mutual friend)

He will confirm that I have indeed pulled a 60 month loan to hunt Africa

I had an opportunity to go and not enough money

And as stated....I have always tipped my guide

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yep, the 10% "standard" is "phugging bullchit" and nuts in his opinion, but he always tips that amount.

You sure are disgruntled over this

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
This thread is getting crazy. If you have to take out a loan to go on a guided hunting trip, you have no business going on that trip! I hope you don't have a family you are supporting!

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
You seriously took out a loan to hunt Africa? Seriously?

At least it makes sense now. I wouldn't want to keep paying interest on guide tips either.

After all, they're just hunting guides.

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

You sure are disgruntled over this

LMAO, not at all Ted. I just know that most guides work hard, and don't make much money. And that people who may go on a guided trip one day are reading this.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
How can you tell if a guide is alive? You can hear them bitching about money.

This applies to both fishing and hunting guides, as I know a few.

I recommend tipping heavily, and not paying attention to the whining.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
LMAO, not at all Ted. I just know that most guides work hard, and don't make much money. And that people who may go on a guided trip one day are reading this.

So, then, you're an evangelist for guides. Who would have thought it?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Smokepole is just a cover. His real name is Guido Evangeline.......

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You guys are pretty good entertainment

I come here for two things

Gain knowledge from members in the know and entertaining stuff like this

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Backroads

What a dumbass blanket statement. I guarantee if you came and hunted with me, I would not be the one whining.

Tanner

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Tanner

What a dumbass blanket statement. I guarantee if you came and hunted with me, I would not be the one whining.

Tanner

You would after you saw the tip!

Some of the thinnest skin is apparently also found on guides.

H
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
H
How do you all feel about tipping owner-operator type outfits.

I have hunted with a few solo outfitter/guides types in the past few years.

Do you feel as obligated to give a 10%+ tip when you know all the money you plunked down for the hunt and/or trophy fees is going into his pocket minus expenses?

I tipped them all well but did not feel as obligated to give 10%.

Semper Fi

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Tanner

Tanner

You would after you saw the tip!

Some of the thinnest skin is apparently also found on guides.

I really can't give a schit, but it appears you associate with the wrong guides. Not really surprising, though.

Tanner

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

626 members (10Glocks, 160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,737 guests, and 1,205 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.