Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
T
First off, I want to make it clear that my intent in posting this is not to seek advice for myself. But if you have VALUABLE advice to offer for readers, I’m sure it will be welcomed. I’ve done the research and have narrowed the decision down to two, possibly three scopes and thought I’d share the information.

So, to start and based on comments from several experience shooters, I decided on a scope with at least an 80mm objective lens, preferring 100mm if possible. True or not, the general consensus was, a spotting scope with at least an 80mm objective lens was required to provide sufficient light gathering to successfully see and determine the changes in the mirage. In addition I set a maximum budget of $500, hopefully less (not including a tripod). Hence, my budget eliminated higher priced models from suppliers such as: Leica, Zeiss, Nightforce, Leupold, Kowa, Vortex and even Vanguard, leaving a couple of 100mm scope suppliers (Celestron Ultima 100 #52252, 22-66x100mm, Konus (Konuspot 100) #7122, 20-60x100mm) and several 80mm suppliers including the Bushnell LEGEND ULTRA, HD 20-60x 80mm 45°, with BaK-4 prisms and ED (Extra-Low Dispersion) glass. In my estimation it’s the highest quality of the ones I considered. BTW, having used spotting scopes with straight eyepieces and 45 degree angled eyepieces, I prefer an angled eyepiece and the ability to rotate the scope on the tripod mount to use for both offhand and prone. As an example, the Leupold 20-60x80mm SX1 Ventana did not make the list since it cannot be rotated on the tripod mount.

The Celestron #52252 is around $260, the Konus approximately $300 and the Bushnell Legend is listed on Amazon for $435. Other than the size of the objective lens and glass/light transmission quality, all three have almost identical specification. All are waterproof, have identical eye relief (a concern since I wear glasses) & the weights are very close. The exit pupil is determined by the magnification & objective lens diameter, therefore the 100mm scopes have a slight advantage. If I was a “birder” and very accurate color transmission was of high importance for viewing and photography, I’d pick the Bushnell Legend or even a more expensive scope with HD (High Density) extra-low dispersion glass & BaK-4 prisms. But in my estimation, for BPCR target shooting, the Celestron & Konus models discussed are more than adequate for the task. BTW, all have lifetime warranties.

I have not made a final decision at this time but I’m leaning towards the Konus. FWIW, I found that the best site by far to identify the various manufactures, models and compare specifications is http://www.opticsplanet.com/, which also offers excellent prices. I also ran across a good video on YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVupGY58q4M) comparing the Celestron and Konus 100mm scopes. In this case the comparison was to a Celestron straight eyepiece scope but the comments should hold for the angled eyepiece version. As to my earlier findings and comments, no doubt there will be readers with differing opinions.

Wayne

NRA & TSRA Lifetime member. NSSF member. Author & Publisher of the Browning 1885 BPCR book.
See www.texas-mac.com
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My spotting scope use is at the range with a 200 yd. max.

For years I used 60 mm spotters with almost enough resolution at 200 y.

The Konuspot 80mm 20-60X I have now is superior to the others.

If the bulk and weight of the bigger scope is not a problem it's well worth it.

Konuspot 80

$229.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Vortex Viper and their heavy duty tripod.

the most expensive bullet there is isn't worth a plug nickel if it don't go where its supposed to.
www.historicshooting.com

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 16penny, 55 invisible), 2,641 guests, and 1,117 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,310
Posts18,468,202
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.