Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
I currently have a 5 yr old lab I adopted at 8 months old, so he came "pre-named".

We're getting another lab pup in June, and my wife and 3 daughters all have various ideas on dog names, most originating from Disney movies of some sort. Ugh.

I'm trying to think up good hunting dog names, as I'm the one who will be training and working with the dog, and I'll be actually saying the dog's name the most, lol. The dog won't be hunting waterfowl, as I'm just not a duck hunter, but will be doing some upland hunting.

If it wasn't used so often, I'd be all about Jaeger, but it seems like there are a lot of hunting dogs named Jaeger, Remington, Winchester, Ruger, etc.

So...looking for unique/interesting hunting dog name ideas. It'll be a male yellow lab, from a dark yellow mother and fox red male. It will be either the typical yellow lab color or darker, possibly fully fox red (think Irish Setter color, if you've never seen one). Just sorta depends on how the genes played out.

Thanks!

GB1

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Names are always fun.

We named our Cocker "Brindamour", but we call her Brindie.

The spastic Fox/JRT rescue hyena/dingo was called Maddox, but now he just gets called "Mad dog"

I was always in favor of 2 syllable names, with a hard seperation in the middle, because I found dogs with those types of names always responded better to their name at a distance (we did a lot of coon hunting when I was younger)

That said, I always wanted one named "Boo Yah"

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rigby

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
A couple of my favs are: Scout and Ranger for a bird dog.

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
In naming a hunting dog, the important thing is choosing a name that is easy to scream and does not sound like some other command. 5 letters max, 3 is better and end in a hard consonant k, t, g, etc. Zak, Jet, Jack are all good. Sue will work in a pinch. Snookems or Puddles doesn't work.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I like German words for names!

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by jimdgc
In naming a hunting dog, the important thing is choosing a name that is easy to scream and does not sound like some other command. 5 letters max, 3 is better and end in a hard consonant k, t, g, etc. Zak, Jet, Jack are all good. Sue will work in a pinch. Snookems or Puddles doesn't work.

Good Point. cool

I hunted grouse one day up here with a guy who had a runoff English Setter named "Lovely Lady" (his wife named her) smirk

She bolted as soon as the leash was slipped and we spent the next two hours "lost dog hunting" instead of grouse hunting.

I will never forget that morning going through the woods with that guy plaintively wailing "Lovely Lady" , etc , etc endlessly. sick

NRA Life Member
"Use Enough Gun"- Robert Ruark
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I would get the puppy and let it name itself. It just takes a bit of time, but the right name will appear that matches his personality.

You also need to think of what kind of personality you most desire in him because you will subconsciously mold him into that where possible. A name should represent both who the dog is, and what you want him to be.

For example, no one expects the same behavior out of a dog named "President" compared to one named "Joker." Your training will mold him into one or the other. You will subconsciously reward/punish him into his name. So it is best if his name matches his inborn strengths that you enjoy.

My current dog is named "Sprite." She isn't named "Steady." If she were, I would not enjoy her antics as much. As it is, her name fits her personality, it's a good name for calling her, and I'm always happy when she's acting out her inborn personality.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Buck, Yardly, Sam, Max, Bo, Mack, Ruger, Kimber, Chester, Browning, Tracker, Smokey, Hike, Magnum, Killer, SOB, Shreader, Jake, Gunner, Ranger, Dakota, Moe, Jack, Rambo, Goose, Echo, Tango, Bravo, Sierra, Vic, Zeus, Appolo, Nightrider, Kitt, Kipp, Karl, Marx, Stalin, Sam, River, Elam, Nicholas, Miguel, Kane, Corky, Biscuits, Elvis

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
magnum
champ
duke
captain

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I prefer 1 syllable names for my hunting dogs.
I'm quicker with them and they seems to respond quicker, too.

Ray
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nitro, Purdey, Westley, buckshot, gunner, Sig, trigger... or maybe name him after your favorite drink or beer.

Guinness, Foster, Pabst, Busch, Dragon, Hacker, Moose.

Tequila, Gimlet, Joker, Mojito, Blinker.

Or maybe after your favorite ammo: Olin, Jamison, Cor-bon, Norma, Lapua, Nosler, Ramshot, Varget.

Maybe after your favorite cartridge: Lott, Ackley, Swift, Ribgy.

How about your favorite author: Boddington, Massad, Cooper, Elmer, Skeeter, O'conner, Capstick.

Or maybe a favorite movie character. We used to breed and raise border collies. If the the client spoke for a pup before we had to send the registration papers in, we would let them name the dog. If not, they all received names from characters in John Wayne movies: Duke, Chance, Maggie, Quirt, Jake.

Maybe your favorite movie character. Josey, Cisco, Hopalong, Quigly, Hannibal.

Or maybe your favorite city: Nash(ville), Vegas, Berlin, Dublin, Cork, Reno.

With a little imagination you could name your dog with an "original" that most people wont have already used.

Good luck !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I prefer one syllable and absolutely no more than 2. That whole yelling/screaming the name discussion above. We ended up with Hank.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Never could understand the yelling/screaming at bird dogs. seems to be popular though.....

I am used to working with various breeds of herding dogs, I don't know if the work they are bred for makes the difference or not ( they are basically meant to "hunt" pretty close and in conjunction with your efforts and not 'freelance') but I've worked with some big, 'hard' dogs, and they didn't require me to raise my voice.

Also FWIW, studies indicate the thing in a given word or command that a dog pays the most attention to, is the first syllable. Kinda like the old Gary Larson Cartoon. I could call my dog Rommel by saying " Herr Field Marshall Erwin Rommel" and all he would basically hear is "Rom"... grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ingwe
Kinda like the old Gary Larson Cartoon.

The old "blah blah blah GINGER, blah blah blah blah, GINGER cartoon?

Interesting you had the dog take on that one.

I had a girlfriend named Ginger. That's why I remember it.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Thats the cartoon!

Was Ginger like that too? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

guage

Have Dog

Will Travel

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The e-collar ends the screaming.

Originally Posted by 16penny
If you put Taco Bell sauce in your ramen noodles it tastes just like poverty
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
finnly or finn

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by kingston
The e-collar ends the screaming.

Have to agree with that.

My 5 yr old lab is e-collar trained. If he doesn't come when I call the first two times, he will be hoofin' it by the third time I call.

And honestly, I haven't had to issue a "correction" to him since I can't remember when. Warnings are enough 99% of the time.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 48 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.