Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A mechanic buddy had a black lab named "Diesel", it fit him well. He was a super dog.

"Camping places fix themselves in your mind as if you had spent long periods of your life in them.
You will remember a curve of your wagon track in the grass of the plain like the features of a friend."
Isak Dinesen

GB1

U
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
U
Somebody already said my suggestion- wait until you get the dog and let a name pop up. I've done that with all but two of the pups I've bought and they all seem to have worked out well. Just remember, the call name and the registered name do not have to be the same so if you are under any time constraints regarding registering the pup, you can send in one name for the papers and another one for in the field.

One can also do this with an older dog if you don't like its call name. Switch to the new name as if a puppy and he will quickly catch on. I've done that on many older dogs when their name did not fit their personality. Or when the call name was not appropriate for public use.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The best lab, in my opinion, that I have ever had in my kennel was named "Dane" Beautiful chocolate lab that had everything that a true hunting lab is supposed to have.

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by jimdgc
In naming a hunting dog, the important thing is choosing a name that is easy to scream and does not sound like some other command. 5 letters max, 3 is better and end in a hard consonant k, t, g, etc. Zak, Jet, Jack are all good. Sue will work in a pinch. Snookems or Puddles doesn't work.

Interesting; I read somewhere (some sporting dog magazine) that all dog names should be short, monosyllablic, and end in an "a" or "o" as to not be confused with commands.
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've followed that axiom for the past 30 years or so.

I named my first dog (American Water spaniel) "Nitro", short for "Swan Lakes Remington Nitro magnum".......However, he (and all my other dogs since) seem to think that their first name is "Dammit". eek
You didn't state whether your next dog was male or female...

Hows about: Turbo, Dymo, or Nitro?

My current Labrador (female) is named "Ziva" (yes, we got it from the NCIS TV show....wife liked it, so it stuck). Got to admit that I've never heard of anyone else with a dog by that name.....regardless of breed!

Last edited by 16gauge; 04/12/16.

"If you dog thinks you're the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!"
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My old lab identified the word "now" as his name...

NRA Life Member
IC B2

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
In my opinion your field commands should never involve the dog's name, so "here" should not be turned into "Spot, here" or "here Spot". For that reason, I don't think a short name is absolutely necessary. I have noticed some dogs seem to like hearing "S" sounds, like Susie, Sissy, Sweetie etc.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ingwe
Never could understand the yelling/screaming at bird dogs. seems to be popular though.....

I am used to working with various breeds of herding dogs, I don't know if the work they are bred for makes the difference or not ( they are basically meant to "hunt" pretty close and in conjunction with your efforts and not 'freelance') but I've worked with some big, 'hard' dogs, and they didn't require me to raise my voice.

Also FWIW, studies indicate the thing in a given word or command that a dog pays the most attention to, is the first syllable. Kinda like the old Gary Larson Cartoon. I could call my dog Rommel by saying " Herr Field Marshall Erwin Rommel" and all he would basically hear is "Rom"... grin
It's a hard habit to break growing up with a dad and grandfather both of which always kepts beagles around. They'd find rabbits much better than they listend! wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I use my dog's name to get his attention only. There are times that he'll hunt hard enough or be burried up and not hear a command so a quick shout of his name gets his mind on what I'm telling him. He hunts as hard as any dog I've seen, but he's still a pup at only a year and a half. The training collar has pretty well transferred to the attention getter at this point.

As to the naming convention, my son wanted to name him Truck. I couldn't really go with that, so we chose Duke. Short name with an attention getting hard consonant. When it came to his "paper name", Duke-N-Truck is in there. He's a dark yellow lab, and the name seems fitting.

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Beagles.

My Uncle had to train his Black & tan to fetch his beagles.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Bird hunted with a 'dude' a couple years back that let his wife name his GSP 'Waldo'. That dog was the farthest ranging dog I ever hunted around, preferring to roam in the next county.

It was kinda sad to see Jeff walking around yelling Waldo at the top of his lungs.

We didn't kill many birds that day.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RWE
Beagles.

My Uncle had to train his Black & tan to fetch his beagles.
Ha!! More than a thread of truth in that I'm guessing.

T
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by 16gauge
Originally Posted by jimdgc
In naming a hunting dog, the important thing is choosing a name that is easy to scream and does not sound like some other command. 5 letters max, 3 is better and end in a hard consonant k, t, g, etc. Zak, Jet, Jack are all good. Sue will work in a pinch. Snookems or Puddles doesn't work.

Interesting; I read somewhere (some sporting dog magazine) that all dog names should be short, monosyllablic, and end in an "a" or "o" as to not be confused with commands.
I don't know if it's true or not, but I've followed that axiom for the past 30 years or so.

I named my first dog (American Water spaniel) "Nitro", short for "Swan Lakes Remington Nitro magnum".......However, he (and all my other dogs since) seem to think that their first name is "Dammit". eek
You didn't state whether your next dog was male or female...

Hows about: Turbo, Dymo, or Nitro?

My current Labrador (female) is named "Ziva" (yes, we got it from the NCIS TV show....wife liked it, so it stuck). Got to admit that I've never heard of anyone else with a dog by that name.....regardless of breed!

I didn't mention gender because it wasn't for certain at that point, but the pups were born overnight last night. 6 males, I'm 4th in line for a male, so it's for sure a male I'll be getting. (Would have been a female if there were not 4 males.)

Since my 5yr old lab is named Quincy (came to us with the name, and it was unique so we kept it), I told my wife we should get two male pups and name one John and one Adams. Lame, I know, but I laughed. She didn't. Odd.

Anyway, the pup is a male, dark yellow/light red color on both mom and dad, so likely a darker yellow lab. Hard to really know from seeing him at this point what exactly he'll look like when he's older.

I've been sifting through names, although I do like the idea of getting to know the pup and letting a name sort of develop around him and his personality. I just want to be careful not to take too long and wind up with a dumb name out of necessity.

For some reason "Rufus" is growing on me, though.... Kind of one of those "it's so weird, it's good" kind of things.

I always thought I'd name a dog Jaeger, but there are a lot of Jaegers around, and I want something a little more original.

P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Trooper....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
B
B
Mine is Reggie. A #70 high roller black lab. I only use his name to send him on a marked retrieve. Never use it when giving a command.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by tddeangelo
For some reason "Rufus" is growing on me, though.... Kind of one of those "it's so weird, it's good" kind of things.

Well, "Rufus" when you're happy and "Dufus" when you're disgusted. Should work.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Gretzky.

Jagr.

Gordie.

Sergei.

Pavel.

NRA Life Member
Had a yellow named Marsh along with a chocolate named Windy

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Jargo.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I am firmly in the one/two syllable camp. And something that doesn't sound like any basic command. And letting the dog name itself through looks or acts.

RS

79S Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Our yellow lab name is Keg and our chocolate lab name is Bocephus but we call him Bo..

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

572 members (10ring1, 16penny, 17CalFan, 160user, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 64 invisible), 2,423 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,218
Posts18,466,391
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.