Print Thread
Hop To
C
cisco1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
I am disappointed in scope mounts for new Lowalls.

Have leupy mounts and there are 2 problems.

1) need 0.125 shim to bring mounts in plane.

2) cannot move leupy 3X9 scope rearward enough to have anywhere near full field of vision. Cannot creep up enough for scope to be at all useable.

Because the tapered octagon BBL. places the leupy mount too far forward….I will mill off the rear of the mount to create clearance so I can turn it around . I still need 1 1/2" more rear movement. I may try a leupy ring extension.

Winchester has Tally making bases for the 1885. However, the ring position is the same as the leupy…. above the screw holes.
I spoke with winchester ….and for sure they have the same problem. Tally has worked up their base to Winchester specs.

Engineers must have worked for John Deere in the past.
Yes ,I know I can get a scope with a longer tube. I may have to.Not crazy about leupy anyway.

Last edited by cisco1; 04/01/16.
GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I looked at the bases on a .223 Browning low wall and they are Leupolds but are offset quite a bit from the mounting screw locations. Have they changed the location or spacing of the screws so that the offset Leupold bases won't fit the new model?

C
cisco1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C
stantdm,

I don't know what the Low wall centerfire rifle screw spacing is.

However on the rimfire the leupy and the Tally mounts place the front ring directly above the screws, which is the problem. The scope will only move rearward up to the front bell.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I put Leupold mounts and STD rings on my .22 WRM with a Nikon Prostaff 4X RF scope.

Works well for me, although I may have to get medium height rings--there is very little "thumb clearance" below the scope for cocking the hammer with the low height rings. I can do it, but it's kinda slow.

Not usually a problem because I'm in the habit of carrying the rifle with the breech open when hunting and closing it is as fast as cocking the hammer. We'll see.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cisco1
Engineers must have worked for John Deere in the past.

I have tried to teach myself enough mechanical engineering to make scope mounts.

A big help was a guy who is an engineer at Caterpillar posting on practical machinist about the limit of strength of screws. He said to keep the female threads from stripping, the length should be 1.5 times the root. Longer than that and the screw breaks in tension. I always thought it broke in torque, but that is not how it works. Since then my brother, a retired machinist, says that everyone knows that.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

This is me making a combination scope mount, bi pod hanger for 1885 falling block 257 Roberts Ackley Rimmed.

There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self. -Ernest Hemingway
The man who makes no mistakes does not usually make anything.-- Edward John Phelps
IC B2

C
cisco1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
C

Nice combo.
The proper tension, or " stretching" of a bolt is the factor by which said bolt stays tight.
And , to be sure, the proper length and depth are a part of the formula.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
"Fastener technology"--a fascinating field. If you do it right, things don't fall apart. If you don't, well....I wouldn't fly in your airplane. Or hunt with your rifle.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by cisco1
Because the tapered octagon BBL. places the leupy mount too far forward….I will mill off the rear of the mount to create clearance so I can turn it around .

Talley cut mine into two smaller bases, polished & re-blued at no extra charge.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

662 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,492 guests, and 1,262 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.