Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Spotted Two Gobbler Strutting in the pouring rain out in the field. Never gobbled one time and there was two hens with them. I watched the hens leave them and they feed out the edge of the woods so i set up between them and waited and when the Gobblers saw the hens had left them here they came i let the smaller one feed by and then here come the other one at around 30 yards, he strutted a couple of times and when i raised the shotgun he caught it and raised his head and started to leave, but it was too late for that he went down and never even kicked. I was using the Old Winchester Single barrel Model 37 with the standard Federal 2 & 3/4 inch 1 &1/4 oz Number 4 shot. Beard was 9 inch's and Spurs 1 and 1/4 inch long. I'm guessing the weight was 20 plus pounds. Never had to make one call.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
NICE!

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
First shotgun I ever used. The model 37 in 12g. It belongs to my uncle. Harvested my first ducks and pheasants with it. He let me borrow it when I was 10 years old.

After I received a Springfield Model 67 pump 12g with vented rib for my 12th birthday, my uncle asked for his Model 37 to be returned.

He's never used it since. Not having any children of his own, I sure hope he leaves that thing to me when he departs this mortal existence.

Thanks for displaying the picture. Sure brings back some memories from my youth.

Jeff

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
One reason I use the old single barrel is because it takes me back to when I was a Kid and a Teen. I have many shotguns but like the old ones every now and then, because they work just as well now as they did 50 or more years ago.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Nice tom. Congrats!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Something wrong here, you killed a gobbler with a 2 3/4" shell and a standard full choke !! smile Everyone knows it takes a 3.5" shell & a $50 choke tube.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Location Location Location
You put yourself in the best location and it sho-nuff paid off. Well done brother!

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by colorado bob
Something wrong here, you killed a gobbler with a 2 3/4" shell and a standard full choke !! smile Everyone knows it takes a 3.5" shell & a $50 choke tube.

Forgot to mention I had to beat him over the head with a big rock after shooting him with a standard rabbit load. He didn't last long because i invited him to supper.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice Tom and nice shotgun - congratulations!

One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.
Archibald Rutledge

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Good fortune and good bird.

Eating fried chicken and watermelon since 1972.

You tell me how I ought to be, yet you don't even know your own sexuality,, the philosopher,,, you know so much about nothing at all. Chuck Schuldiner
IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Awesome! I don't mind a rainy day in the woods. You don't have to get up as early, they hang in the fields, and you can be quiet as a mouse!

Congrats!!

Camp is where you make it.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good work, Bea.

Woodsmanship pays off.

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nothing wrong with that one brother!

Lowcountry Wildlife Management
Knowing Wildlife Beyond Science
[email protected]
Genesis 9;2
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Congrats Bea!

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Yumm! Please post your recipe. I usually just bake my birds, but your plate looks very good.

Good work. The birds out here are usually very quiet in the rain. They explode as soon as he sky starts to clear.

"Whether you think you can or you think you can't, you're right."
Henry Ford

If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Congrats on your Tom Turkey. Please make sure you clean that shotgun thoroughly. I might be able to convince you to sell it to me some day. smile

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Something wrong here, you killed a gobbler with a 2 3/4" shell and a standard full choke !! smile Everyone knows it takes a 3.5" shell & a $90 choke tube.

Fixed it. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Congrats on a nice bird!

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
N
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Nice!

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by taz4570
Yumm! Please post your recipe. I usually just bake my birds, but your plate looks very good.

Good work. The birds out here are usually very quiet in the rain. They explode as soon as he sky starts to clear.

Soak in salt water for a few hours cut the breast in strips, fill gallon bag full of seasoned flour and add black pepper and fully coat the strips in the bag, then get the oil in the skillet hot enough to bake the coating on the meat as soon as you drop it in the oil and fry to completely done and brown.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice bird. Looks like it has a cuppla heavy-duty spurs.

Steve.

"I was a deerhunter long before I was a man." ~Gene Wensel's Come November (2000)
"A vote is like a rifle; its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." ~Theodore Roosevelt
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
That's why I use an old 30" F&M double. They pattern great, and I like the choice of chokes for those close encounters. I have a CE grade fox 26" bbls F&IC that is ideal, but I only take it on flat country. I fall alot in the mtns. Use a $350 Fulton by LC smith.

Charlie

bea175 Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I love my LC Smith doubles, I have both the 12 and 16 GA's

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bea175

Forgot to mention I had to beat him over the head with a big rock after shooting him with a standard rabbit load. He didn't last long because i invited him to supper.

[Linked Image]

You tell it so well, I can actually see it all happen. Congratulations doing it the old way. Old STILL works. this I know.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Single shots are my favorite turkey guns.....nicely done!!!

Lloyd McCarter and the Honky Tonk Revival
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

571 members (2500HD, 219 Wasp, 1234, 17CalFan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 41 invisible), 2,658 guests, and 1,119 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,291
Posts18,467,947
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.