24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I`m shooting a 12 yr old bow too. It has a life time warranty so I won`t be buying one any time soon. As far as I`m concerned they cost too much and depreciate way to fast.

BP-B2

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Aluminum is good in those old Oneidas.
String overtravel means they need a hefty spine.
Aluminum offers a wider variety of spine/weight and the old Easton charts were on the money.

Carbons can be a PITA, but once a setup is found, is pretty sweet. I run Goldtips.

Could NOT run 55-75 Goldtips in my 60-80# Aeroforce, even down at 70#. Only solution was to slap a short overdraw on it to cut/stiffen them up. Only OD I found was the longer PSE with big integral shelf/plate. Wanted the older one that took an extra bolt on for safety (which I never used- on the bottom it's worthless).

So maybe get another Aeroforce. Have had 2 Strikes, 3 Aeroforce and one Screamer. Fun bows. Rather have a Black Eagle 2 but not paying what the market says they are worth.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I do run GT 35-55 in my old 48# Blackwidow HF1225.
Manufacturerd in 1972.
Centershot OK, but had to add weight to insert for perfect paper tune. Dunno speed, don't care.
They fly great, FOC decent.........should work.

55-75 GT with 100gr insert, flew perfect from my 1983 Blackwidow HF58 (59#).

Now that the doc says I have arthritis, why I hurt all last yr, and has me on mild med that makes me feel pretty good.......I wish I had the HF58 back frown

[Linked Image]

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Yeah, that's a Ktech 3" stabilizer with Mathews S coil module. Helped balance that bow. Fun rig. Went to buy another one Monday and it was sold frown

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I shoot an older Browning compound. It's gotta be 15-20 yrs old now. Set to 53 lbs with a single pin sight, I am comfortable to just about 30 yds. I darn near take a whitetail or two just about every year with that old stick.

-Ken

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Hookeye

I also have a Strike Force. It's hanging on the wall out in the garage. I haven't used it much. I like the longer and heavier Oneida bows. They are very forgiving. The new short, light bows are not. But the Oneidas are nosey. You can see all of those Limb Saver silencers and brush buttons on it. And you are correct about using Fast flight strings on the Oneidas. You better have a stiff spine on your arrows, especially when you shooy a heavy, fixed blade broadhead like I do. I probably ought to try some of the newer folding points, but just haven't because the Snuffers work fine and I am not sure how the folding points will hold up shooting hogs. Maybe some of you fellas know about that and I would be glad to hear what your experience has been.

Gotta go on a long weekend turkey hunt now. I'll catch up with you fellas next week sometime.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Strikes are fairly quiet, small pylons and the swept limbs.
Rather have an Aeroforce and work on getting it less noisy.
Have not tried the stick tamer silencers.

Think next one will get bow hush on the string. LFM or BE2.

Cool mods can be made, have researched some at 5150 bows.
No skeletonized aluminum outers avail last I checked, so dumped my Aero. Was bought to hot rod.

I have shot Snuffers from recurves. Nice hole in and out of the deer. Not the strongest head though. Aluminum adapters suck. Those bend very easly. Next time I run any, will go with steel. Probably go with a harder epoxy and tweak as it sets up.

I like the G5 Striker heads, for a replaceable fixed blade.
Ran them from my wheeled bows. But got a deal on some Magnus Stingers, so ran them from both compound and trad.

Not much for compounds, as far as fingers shooters go. Older Oneidas could go 50% letoff. Huge brace height helped tame them, since they were fast for their time.

Almost bought a Monster (no cam lever bow) but couldn't get past the shoot through cables.

Wish they did a split power limb and cable guard like the Discovery. Bass Pro's boy bought Oneida, only offer 2 models now.............Kestrel and Osprey.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I get caught up in the buying of a newer "one or two year old bow" about every other year. I guess it's the same as rifles. Do I need to do so? No. I just like doing so. The major reason to upgrade to one of the newer bows, if you choose to do so, is because of the weight. It's amazing what difference one pound makes when hiking through the mountains (sitting on the couch for Big Stick) all day long.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Well, I just got back from the store and they got me. They put an Elite Impulse 31 in my hands and let me shoot the thing. I couldnt break the checkbook out fast enough afterwards. I'm amazed at how nice this thing is.

Smoothest bow I've ever shot. Rock solid back wall that feels like you could hold forever and man is it fast. Seems like I would barely touch off the release and the arrows would be buried in the target before it even registered in my mind that I had let go the string. Smaller, lighter smoother and faster. I guess now my old Hoyt will be relegated to back-up duty.

I said I wouldn't buy one till I found a bow that felt significantly different. I did. . . smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, it happens. The I31 is damned nice, as is the I34. I found the Primes, to me, to be just an RCH "better", but that is/was so subjective as to be silly. If I had it to do over, it'd likely still be a coin flip between the I31/34 and the Prime Impact/Rize.

You've done very well, and that will serve you a decade, easily. In another ten years, comparing that I31 to the Hoyt you have, just imagine how much better things will be and what might be possible (dead quiet, dead in the hand, smooth, solid back wall, 400 fps IBO? Maybe...)

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 4ager
Yep, it happens. The I31 is damned nice, as is the I34. I found the Primes, to me, to be just an RCH "better", but that is/was so subjective as to be silly. If I had it to do over, it'd likely still be a coin flip between the I31/34 and the Prime Impact/Rize.

You've done very well, and that will serve you a decade, easily. In another ten years, comparing that I31 to the Hoyt you have, just imagine how much better things will be and what might be possible (dead quiet, dead in the hand, smooth, solid back wall, 400 fps IBO? Maybe...)

Lol, I thought the same thing. I'm good for another ten or twelve years now. . .

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Years ago I had a Hoyt Super Slam Elite. This was one of the Chuck Adams series bows, as I recall. The thing was so stupidly easy to shoot well that I couldn't shoot the same spot at 40 yards without busting off nocks. Of course, I eventually decided that I needed something different so I bought a used Oneida Screaming Eagle. What a turd. Got into traditional after that and really enjoyed shooting a recurve.

I got back in to bowhunting a few years ago and the newer bows are really pretty amazing. Very quiet and vibration free and loads faster. I especially like the solid back wall and smooth draw cycle on my current Obsession. It shoots really well (though my eyes won't let me shoot as well as I once did). It'll serve me perfectly for many years. Nothing wrong with it at all.

Of course I had to go and order a new bow this year... grin Oh well. I do enjoy screwing with them in the off season.

RLTW
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Screaming Eagles were the hot rods of the day.
They drew smooth and had minimal shock at release.
Most folks didn't know how to tune them.
Made them really loud.

Like the advancements on the Aero. The grip is fat though.....really need aftermarket thinner. Flare at casting at front of shelf still annoying. Dunno how grind would affect integrity.

Think LFM or BE the way to go.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Even the new stuff, has a lot going on.
Probably not the most robust of arrow delivery systems.
But a BE2 is still a good fingers bow, speedy and smooooth.

Wish somebody made fingers rigs these days.
The lack of such has driven Oneida prices to silly.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
If I got a NEW bow, it'd be a Blackwidow PCH.
3 kids in college this fall...........no new bow for a long time.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Mine are not all that old but the newest was a 91 model....haven't had the need to buy since then.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ive had several several bows over the last few years. Mathews, PSE, Bowtech and now Obsession. On my 5th Obsession in 2.5 years. But im a dealer. Pretty much always been a speed bow guy. Im a short DL. I do shoot 30" ish(give or take a couple inches) ATA bows with 6" BH really well. I started the year out with a Def Con 6. Now I have the K34. 34ATA/7" BH. Got it becauae the cam system is a touch "different" and i wanted to get to know it better. I wasnt prepared for what i got. 27/65/350grn @301.6fps. Yeah speed doesnt matter to most but i like to know what my bows shoot. And thats my target arrows. I have shot every 2015 and 2016 out there for the most part. The 34 is my fav Obsession to date. Period. Dont see me going back to a short ATA/6" BH bow anytime soon. Its just that smooth and quiet. And i really love the grip. The Primes do have a following but with DL changes being so expensive and string sets being so expensive due to the 2 extra "yokes" required its a turn off to me. Yeah i know they have a string program but i only use one brand of strings. The impulse while "smooth" is rather stiff. And i cant justify giving up an inch of BH for less performance. Just my $.02

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hookeye
Even the new stuff, has a lot going on.
Probably not the most robust of arrow delivery systems.
But a BE2 is still a good fingers bow, speedy and smooooth.

Wish somebody made fingers rigs these days.
The lack of such has driven Oneida prices to silly.

What would you classify as a fingers rig? Know the "norm" used to be around 40ATA and 7"+ BH. Is that still pretty much how it still is? Would also think lower letoff with cable stops vs higher letoff and limb stops to ensure clean release

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
And I'm still happy with it. So much so in fact that I'm struggling with the idea of buying a new one. It still looks and functions like new. It's a Hoyt Xtec XT1000 limbs. 70 lbs and 26 1/2 inch draw. It's incredibly accurate, I have to be very careful while practicing cause I can easily ruin a mess of arrows/fletching.

Recently I took it in to have it restrung and the guys at the archery shop tried to convince me it was time for a new bow. They almost made me feel guilty, but after shooting a good number of very expensive new ones I came away unimpressed.

I am happy with what I have but they got me thinking as I drove away. Am I a dinosaur? Should I get with the times?

Add 10 years to that here.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
I just noticed that should have been 28" draw.

At any rate, I'm starting to go bow crazy. Now I'm looking at the new Hoyt Defiants. . . It's a sickness!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
741 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,705 guests, and 1,364 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.