Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
And I'm still happy with it. So much so in fact that I'm struggling with the idea of buying a new one. It still looks and functions like new. It's a Hoyt Xtec XT1000 limbs. 70 lbs and 26 1/2 inch draw. It's incredibly accurate, I have to be very careful while practicing cause I can easily ruin a mess of arrows/fletching.

Recently I took it in to have it restrung and the guys at the archery shop tried to convince me it was time for a new bow. They almost made me feel guilty, but after shooting a good number of very expensive new ones I came away unimpressed.

I am happy with what I have but they got me thinking as I drove away. Am I a dinosaur? Should I get with the times?

Last edited by Dryfly24; 04/12/16.
BP-B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If it ain't broke...

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
Screw 'em.
My bow (only 2nd season with it for me) was made in 1972.
If it works good for you, run it.
Deer don't care how much you spend.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
And I'm still happy with it. So much so in fact that I'm struggling with the idea of buying a new one. It still looks and functions like new. It's a Hoyt Xtec XT1000 limbs. 70 lbs and 26 1/2 inch draw. It's incredibly accurate, I have to be very careful while practicing cause I can easily ruin a mess of arrows/fletching.

Recently I took it in to have it restrung and the guys at the archery shop tried to convince me it was time for a new bow. They almost made me feel guilty, but after shooting a good number of very expensive new ones I came away unimpressed.

I am happy with what I have but they got me thinking as I drove away. Am I a dinosaur? Should I get with the times?

If you ain't impressed with the other options, don't change. When you are, do.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I shot my Hoyt Cybertec for 12 years and I loved it. It shot better than I do and I killed a bunch of deer with it all over the country. About 3 years ago, I started wondering about the same things you are. If it ain't broke.... I finally broke down and bought a Hoyt Carbon Spyder. I set it up exactly the same way. Same rest, sights, quiver, etc. With the same draw weight. Shooting the same arrows, it's 35 fps faster, much quieter, has no vibration and weighs a lot less. I know it will be a lot more comfortable to carry when it gets cold. I can't wait to hunt with it . Technology has come a long way in 13 years. I love my old bow and its there if I need it but I've been wondering lately, why I waited so long. Good luck with your decision.

Deadlines and commitments, what to leave in, what to leave out...
IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Bobmar
I shot my Hoyt Cybertec for 12 years and I loved it. It shot better than I do and I killed a bunch of deer with it all over the country. About 3 years ago, I started wondering about the same things you are. If it ain't broke.... I finally broke down and bought a Hoyt Carbon Spyder. I set it up exactly the same way. Same rest, sights, quiver, etc. With the same draw weight. Shooting the same arrows, it's 35 fps faster, much quieter, has no vibration and weighs a lot less. I know it will be a lot more comfortable to carry when it gets cold. I can't wait to hunt with it . Technology has come a long way in 13 years. I love my old bow and its there if I need it but I've been wondering lately, why I waited so long. Good luck with your decision.

The Carbon Spyder the one I've been eyeing for the very reasons you specified. But after shooting it I didn't feel enough of a difference between it and my old bow to sway me. A lot of good advice received here. I guess I'll just keep shooting my Ol' reliable until it quits being fun. . .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dryfly,
I doubt you'll get to the point where shooting your bow quits being fun. The only other observation I had was, that it took a while for me to notice the differences, other than speed. It took shooting it over about 10 days for everything to become clear. I say all I have about this new bow, never having hunted with it. The jury is still out but I'll know for sure in September.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Bob,

There's no doubt the Spyder is a better bow than my old Xtec. I could feel the differences when shooting them back to back - especially in speed, weight and let off - but it just wasn't enough of a difference for me to justify the expense.

Plus, I'm sure the sentimental value I have wrapped up in this bow probably has a lot to do with it as well. No doubt I'll get another bow eventually, but it's just not time yet. I'm still enjoying this one too much. . .

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the speed, weight, and let-off become enough to justify the expense (especially if/when you can find one on a deal), then make the switch to the new bow as being the "primary". Having "ol' Reliable" as the "back-up" is never a bad thing.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm completely agree with both of you!

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
New isn't always the answer, but it isn't really bad either. You should look at the Mathews line and in the Halon in particular. The advances in bows over the past 12 years is worth consideration.

I had a Hoyt Trycon in 2007 and tried the Mathews "Drenalin" and it was an improvement over the Hoyt. I have had several new bows since, but with the Monster "Chill" I have been pretty happy. If I can sell it, I will buy a new Halon, if not, I will keep it.

My oldest son is an excellent shot with a bow and won 2 bows in the last 3 years, shooting league. He got the Hoyt Carbon Spyder 2 years ago, when he was shooting a Mathews Z-7. He says that his Mathews was a better shooting bow, but since he won it at the shop, he should shoot it there.

This year he won a Bow Tech, but isn't going to open the Box, he will trade it in on the Mathews Halon and sell the Carbon Spyder.

New bows are easier to shoot, faster and more quiet, you really should consider a new bow, you wouldn't be sorry.

My son has also killed his share of nice elk with a bow, it isn't just for shooting at the range...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 04/13/16.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
I actually dislike many of the new bows draw cycles.
Yeah they can get good speed from 60# now (instead of running 70#) but it doesn't feel good to these old bones.

72# with Cam and a half Hoyt........is comfy to me. Prefer 65% letoff too.

Don't need the fastest rig out there. I don't compete at 3D. Gave that up some time back. Just hit a course once in a while now, for fun. Trad gear.

I demand a certain feel there too, and why I shoot one brand. Current model is old, slow B50 rig........but I always wanted one. Not as quiet or fast as the ones I had built. But I like it. Makes shooting fun.

And FUN trumps all else IMHO.

Used to buy 2 top end compounds a yr......glad I got out of that mess.
IIRC I've had 30 or so compounds, and as many recurves. Buds have all sorts of old and new rigs, that I get to try out.

Eh, Hoyt cam and a half (loved my Protec except for the weight).
Didn't care for my Mathews SBXT.
Maybe a new Blackwidow PCH sometime...

Last edited by hookeye; 04/13/16.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dryfly 24 your post is most WELCOME. I get so tired of hunting with people who look at my bow and ask, what in hell is that thing? I tell them Oneida Aeroforce. And they ask who made it. Then I have to say Oneida. Then they ask who in hell are they? That gets to be a pain. And things really get bad as soon as they see that I am still shooting aluminum arrows!!! GEEZE you would think that I was Jack the Ripper or something. I have a lot of those arrows because i bought them from an archery store that was going out of business for a good price. I fletch them myself and nock them and they shoot just fine. THEN they see my old 150 grain, three blade Rothar Snuffer broadheads and THAT USUALLY does it. They go off mumbling about the "werid" old guy with the "funny" old gear.

But I sometimes rifle hunt deer with an old 45-70 Sharps. Then everybody that sees it seems to think that old rifle is COOL and they want to see how it works. Some even want to shoot it. Why is it that having an old gun is cool but having old archery stuff makes you werid? I don't get it.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobWills
Dryfly 24 your post is most WELCOME. I get so tired of hunting with people who look at my bow and ask, what in hell is that thing? I tell them Oneida Aeroforce. And they ask who made it. Then I have to say Oneida. Then they ask who in hell are they? That gets to be a pain. And things really get bad as soon as they see that I am still shooting aluminum arrows!!! GEEZE you would think that I was Jack the Ripper or something. I have a lot of those arrows because i bought them from an archery store that was going out of business for a good price. I fletch them myself and nock them and they shoot just fine. THEN they see my old 150 grain, three blade Rothar Snuffer broadheads and THAT USUALLY does it. They go off mumbling about the "werid" old guy with the "funny" old gear.

But I sometimes rifle hunt deer with an old 45-70 Sharps. Then everybody that sees it seems to think that old rifle is COOL and they want to see how it works. Some even want to shoot it. Why is it that having an old gun is cool but having old archery stuff makes you werid? I don't get it.

I'm thinking this guy has been here before. Just a "general" suspicion.

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D

A lot of good stuff here. The dead deer won't care if he was done in by state of the art equipment.

Another good point you bring up - and I've often wondered about myself: Why is it that when you go out hunting with an old rifle people think it is cool; but go out with old archery equipment and people treat you like a leper?

D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'm confused by your post 4ager. ??

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dryfly24
Originally Posted by 4ager

I'm confused by your post 4ager. ??

Bob's posts are becoming remarkably more like someone who posted here before. The "general" was a hint.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have been here long enough to make 93 postings on the Camp Fire. I think there is some way that you can look all of them up, but I don't know how to do it. Anyway, here are my old bows. Try not to laugh.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
[Linked Image]

And here is the required photo (of a photo) to show that I am a real bow hunter. I see that some of you have a lot of postings. You have been around a long time. I've been around a lot of years so I am not new to anything and neither is my equipment. If you boys have some kind of forum initiation that I have to do, then lay it out. It may be fun.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Bowshops are in the business of selling new and expensive equipment.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
277 members (1minute, 204guy, 257_X_50, 10gaugemag, 280shooter, 29aholic, 39 invisible), 2,165 guests, and 982 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,726
Posts18,400,633
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.