Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I just flew Emirates Airlines through Dubai from Seattle to Johannesburg and was very pleased with the experience. I have never flown through London and I did not bring a rifle on this trip, so I can't make those comparisons. However, I've perviously flown to Africa on Delta and Lufthansa through Atlanta and Frankfurt and had good experiences. I can say that my Emirates flight was hands down the best economy class flight (domestic or international) that I've ever had. Especially considering that my ticket literally cost half as much as a Delta flight through Atlanta, it was a no brainer to fly Emirates.

Africa Hunting Safaris, Cape Buffalo Hunting, & Other Big Game Hunting Adventures
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Another plus is Jihadist haven't been targeting these airlines yet. LOL

It is better to be judged by 12 than to be carried by 6.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I fly united to Heathrow and SAA from Heathrow to Jo'burg. No firearm transfer fees that way. Check the gun at LAX, pick it up in OR Tambo.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
This is always an interesting subject for me. I'm in Phoenix, For Lusaka, BA was a great option. PHX-London direct non-stop, London-Lusaka, also direct non-stop. BA doesn't fly Lusaka any more (didn't) last time over.SO choices for Zambia are limited to Joburg-Lusaka on BA. Another benefit to BA for me is/was, when I arrive in PHX, I immigrate and I 'm home. The Phoenix customs guys never EVER check my 4457's when I get home. They just ask if those are guns, send me on my way

Delta has favorable schedules, relatively gun friendly BUT… don't we as sportsman remember they chose to boycott transporting any big 5 hunting trophies? We need longer memories. Personally, I fought a long hard but unsuccessful fight to get NRA and SCI to completely boycott Delta. they can KMA.

Emirates; I flew to TZ in October, chose to give them a try. Steve Turner handled the details of the letter of permission. Yes, another detail but not a huge problem. My route was Phoenix-Dallas on AA, Dallas-Dubai-Dar es Salaam. The only hassle was, I had to claim guns in Dallas and change terminals to recheck at Emirates counter. They were friendly, fast and showed no "gun" attitude. For someone to rule out Emirates "because they're Muslims" is silly.

Emirates is the finest airline I've ever used, The planes were new, nice and extra comfortable. The schedule was on-time, the service was exemplary.

Air France, I flew them to Bangui a couple years ago. I flew comfort economy. The seats were nearly first class, the service was incredible. I had to stop at CDG, they were friendly, and everyone spoke english. The flight attendants all appeared to be models and I would use them again, no gun issues.

Never used KLM, can't comment as to that route.

Picture is the business class "bar" on Emirates

[img:center][Linked Image][/img]

Last edited by Chipolopolo; 04/09/16.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Based on my personal experience I will not travel though London again with firearms. My traveling partner on way over had his scope rings losend and scope cover taken. As his bolt was removed in transport, they cocked the bolt. They couldn't figure out how to do much with mine but they took the rubber cover on the eye piece of my Leica scope.
On the way back home they took my partner off of the plane and tried real hard to make him miss his flight. They said his 458 Lott was a sniper rifle based on X-ray photo of the gun in the case because the rifle was scoped. This was even though we had proper gun permits approved and were on the way home. They were just trying to cause enough trouble so he couldn't make the flight and would have to stay there to be harassed more. My partner said he would only talk with a supervisor and they eventually reluctantly gave in and brought in the supervisor who allowed him to board at the last minute. It was just a stall tactic with those working in the airport.
After this I believe everyone's horror story about this airport.

Last edited by blaser_guy; 04/10/16.
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Chipolopolo

Delta has favorable schedules, relatively gun friendly BUT… don't we as sportsman remember they chose to boycott transporting any big 5 hunting trophies? We need longer memories. Personally, I fought a long hard but unsuccessful fight to get NRA and SCI to completely boycott Delta. they can KMA.

For someone to rule out Emirates "because they're Muslims" is silly.

Feel free to do what you want with your $$$, as will I. I don't like giving money to people (muslims) that are trying their best to exterminate us, but obviously YMMV.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Steve,

Same problem with Emirates and Air France, they will not transport trophies. From a USA article: Since the controversy erupted over Cecil's death, Air France, KLM, Iberia, IAG Cargo, Singapore Airlines and Qantas have joined South African Airways, Emirates, Lufthansa and British Airways in banning shipments of big-game trophies.

I was booked on Delta/Air France from LFT to Lusaka last year before all the insanity happened with a non-refundable ticket. Other than the politics the Air France Premium Economy was great. No firearm hassles at all. They actually confirmed the rifle was on the plane prior to me boarding.

Flying Delta/Air France again this year. Not many options to Brazzaville.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by blaser_guy
Based on my personal experience I will not travel though London again with firearms. My traveling partner on way over had his scope rings losend and scope cover taken. As his bolt was removed in transport, they cocked the bolt. They couldn't figure out how to do much with mine but they took the rubber cover on the eye piece of my Leica scope.

How did they get inside his gun case? I lock mine at the check in desk with three master locks and I'm the only one with the key.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Steve,

Same problem with Emirates and Air France, they will not transport trophies. From a USA article: Since the controversy erupted over Cecil's death, Air France, KLM, Iberia, IAG Cargo, Singapore Airlines and Qantas have joined South African Airways, Emirates, Lufthansa and British Airways in banning shipments of big-game trophies.

I was booked on Delta/Air France from LFT to Lusaka last year before all the insanity happened with a non-refundable ticket. Other than the politics the Air France Premium Economy was great. No firearm hassles at all. They actually confirmed the rifle was on the plane prior to me boarding.

Flying Delta/Air France again this year. Not many options to Brazzaville.

Didn't know that was the case Mike. Thanks for the info. There is little hope for the reasonably un-complicates safari's of days past. As we were discussing over on the other site, we are being bludgeoned from all sides.

Hey, I know...maybe if we post more trophy pictures. crazy

Steve

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Steve,

You are a funny guy.

This is the lion I chose for a canned hunt. He is not a trophy yet.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Fjold
[quote=blaser_guy]

How did they get inside his gun case? I lock mine at the check in desk with three master locks and I'm the only one with the key.

They do not have to open case. They have some type of X-ray that I guess is similar to how they check your bags when you enter the airport. It gave an image of a rifle with large bell scope on it. From the print out you could clearly tell it was a rifle and scope.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Fjold
[quote=blaser_guy]

They do not have to open case. They have some type of X-ray that I guess is similar to how they check your bags when you enter the airport. It gave an image of a rifle with large bell scope on it. From the print out you could clearly tell it was a rifle and scope.

The post that I asked the question of said;

How did they get in the locked gun cases to do this?

Frank

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
These were older style locks that were built in to the case. It doesn't take much to pick these locks. I have gone to hasp locks since

Like I said I will not travel through London based on my experience. You do whatever you want. I'm relaying my experience. I have other choices and London is not one of mine based on my experience. I cannot say it any clearer.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

602 members (1beaver_shooter, 17CalFan, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10ring1, 1337Fungi, 53 invisible), 2,719 guests, and 1,094 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,312
Posts18,468,262
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.