Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I bought an SPS 700 in .243 awhile back because it was on sale. Dropped it in an edge. Bedded it. Talleys and a Leupie. It honestly doesn't even shoot half as well as the old Stevens 200 .243 that it replaced. Tried several loads. Also, the balance is a little muzzle-heavy with the edge stock.

So I'm thinking a new tube is in its future. Thinking a Rock #2 at 22", but can't decide on chambering. I've always liked 7-08's. 120's @ 3100, 140's @ 2850, and 162's @ 2700 don't suck. Had one. Wouldn't mind having another. Worth it to AI? But I also have a nice m70 FW 30-06, and not sure what a 7-08 would do in a hunting rifle that the '06 doesn't...

Also like .243's. 105's @ 3000, 80 ttsx's @ 3400, and 55's @ 4000 if I ever felt like it. But I also have a howa mini .223 for little bullets, and not sure a 105 is any better than a 6.5. Which leads me to...

I've never owned a 6.5mm other than an old surplus 96. The Creed probably interests me the most. I wouldn't hate a 6.5x47, and it would be nothing to drive the 30 minutes to Gre-Tan and get my firing pin bushed. But the .260 offers potentially even more, and also could be run AI... Seems like any of them would get 123's close to 3k to match the .243/105, a 129/130 at 2900 to match/best a .284 140 in hunting bullets, and 140's at 2700+ to match 162's with less recoil. Looks like you could even run a 100 Barnes at 3300ish.

So what does the fire say? Is there a majority vote on the most bang for your SA 700 buck?

Oh, planning on having a Wyatt's mag box installed regardless of chambering.

Last edited by seven_miller; 04/13/16.
GB1

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
6.5x47 Lapua...

Tony.

I may not be as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If going with factory magazine length, 6.5x47.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
+1

If you want to go .260 or AI, you could look at a Wyatt's extended mag box or a Bainey box for a longer COAL. You might have to have the bolt stop cut back for a longer bolt throw. Not sure on that as I have never used an extended box with a 700, only a custom 700 clone.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
By some strange coincidence, an 8 twisted bartlein 6.5 barrel just hit my doorstep. 6.5x47 soon to be twisted on.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6.5 Creed or 6.5x47 Lapua would be the direction I'd go. No flies on either of them. Haven't heard or seen too many (if any) reports of either of these not excelling in the accuracy department - custom built or factory spawned.

BTW, the OP mentions having the firing pin bushed and moving to a 6.5 in the same breathe. No need to bush the firing bin in the process of stepping up to a 6.5 unless the OP wants it done as part of the re-build.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
260AI

Screw mag length.

So the bullet intrudes on the powder column a little - so what?

You've still got more usable capacity than a CM or a the itty bitty Lapua, no need to jack around w/ small rifle primers and run high pressure. High quality Lapua brass available.

David

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Billy club?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
6.5 Creedmore is what I would do. Same capacity as the .260 a little more juice than the Lapua and no worries over the small primer if using ball powders. Brass if not available can be formed from .250 savage or others.

260 may be easier to get components for and same performance.
As far as field performance there is very little difference in all the medium 6.5s. Not until you go .264 Win or Nosler would there be much difference.

If I ever get around to a similar build it will be a .243 with a Bartlein 0 contour 1&8 twist in a Bansner stock. But then I just got a new 6.5x55 so I almost have the total gun looney redundancy covered at least for the mid calibers.

No wrong choices.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I had a Rem 700 youth in .243 Win. It was a piece of junk. It rusted in a few days and the best groups were 3" @ 100 yds. I sold it for a Tikka T3 in .270 Win. This was supposed to be for my son cause his H&R .243 super light shot even worse. After the Tikka T3, I wish I would have just bought it in the first place.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
fwiw,
No authority, however, concur on 6.5x47 Lapua for a .473". Would go .223 AI or Mk262Md1 spun 1-7"ish if SBF...

I've actually got a SA 700 stainless .384" BF and I do believe it will go much the same as my BAT VR 6.5x47 Lapua route, only setup for Mk262 Mod 1... Though I am already setup for .223AI. Just want to be sure the chamber puts the 77 grain Sierra HPBTs into or right on the rifling from an AI magazine...

Bartlein 5R SS Remington Varmint 22-23" Fluted
McMillan Sako Varmint, OD Gelcoat, Anschutz Rail, Badger M5 Enhanced Bottom Metal
Bix'n Andy Remington 700 Varmint Trigger at 12 ounces or so
Schmidt Bender PMII running an H-59..

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
6.5 Rem Mag. Have the bolt face opened.

“Lighten up Francis”
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by WiFowler
6.5 Creed or 6.5x47 Lapua would be the direction I'd go. No flies on either of them. Haven't heard or seen too many (if any) reports of either of these not excelling in the accuracy department - custom built or factory spawned.

BTW, the OP mentions having the firing pin bushed and moving to a 6.5 in the same breathe. No need to bush the firing bin in the process of stepping up to a 6.5 unless the OP wants it done as part of the re-build.

fwiw,
Bought a BAT VR for my 6.5x47 Lapua/Sako Vamint project... Unreal piece of machining(imho). Noticed slightly larger than SFP hole (usually .0625") and measured .070" which is in between small and large...afaik. Called BAT and expressed concern. Learned BAT has ONE firing pin hole dimension and .070" is it... From 6PPC actions to .338 Lapua Magnum they one run diameter and have zero issues. The man spoke with conviction, the machine work is unlike anything I have ever seen, and I am tending to believe the man knows what he is talking about... Time will tell.

Regards, Matt.

NRA Life Benefactor Member
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My 6.5x47L on a 700 had to be bushed. But I'd go that route again, as I like the chambering. Nice brass and good performance from not a lot of powder. Mine makes 2,900fps with 129gr bullets from a 22.5" barrel. And I can easily work from the lands with a 2.82" mag box. I consider it a sensible choice for a handloader looking to make an easy-shooting 6.5 on a short action.

Now with even more aplomb
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
When I bought a short Remington 700 I had the bolt opened up to fit a .378 Weatherby. The 7mm barrel was chamber to fit a .378 Wea with its 45* shoulder pushed back to make a case 2 1/4" long with a 1/4" long neck. It held the same amount of powder as my 7-.300 Weatherby. I called it Short Fat Seven decades before short and fat was in.

So that's one thing you can do.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a .25 souper barrel put on a 700sa easy to form cases and light recoil. But I do like my .260 on a Ruger 77 also easy to form cases.

There is a war on America and America is losing
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Setting up for the 6.5x47. New reamer in bound with .2944 throat and .167 free bore. Got some good info from a fellow member. Looking forward to giving this round a go. 140 vld getting first at bat once it is screwed together.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Fishing sinker?

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
A couple of other options to ponder.... 250 Savage twisted 1-9 is a great option for a SA as is a 1-8 22-250.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Best use of a Rem 700 is to kill stuff with it.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have one custom SA.

It is a 264 Lapua.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I had the same dilemma.

Sent a 700 SA with a Brux #2 6.5mm 8 twist to Chad Dixon to build a 6.5 Creedmoor. Now in line with the Manners group buy for a EH-8 ADL config stock. Should be a sweet rifle. Seekins base, seekins rings, and scope will be either a LRHS 3-12 or a SWFA 6x MQ.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by 280Ackleyrized
Fishing sinker?

I was thinking a tomato stake. I can't believe the money people spend to polish a turd. I just can't stand the 90 degree bolt throw.

Welcome to TN - patron state of shootin’ stuff
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by cotis
Fishing sinker?

I was thinking a tomato stake. I can't believe the money people spend to polish a turd. I just can't stand the 90 degree bolt throw.

I'll bet you pink slips.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
cotis,

I just can't stand the 90 degree bolt throw.

You're a man after my own heart. smile

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
I would recommend you bush the firing pin if you choose the 6.5x47 L as that small primer will exploit any extra gap between the pin and bolt face. The diameter of the pin is less important than the clearance. I have shot three barrels out on the 6.5 L and have watched a bunch of others shoot, stock Rem 700's and Savages will often blank without GreTan's work.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Firstly,I'd nip mechanics on your existing system and grant it opportunity to do what all Big Green OEM 243's do and that's dazzle. Start at the fhuqking start and all will fall into place. Hint.

My "trouble" is that I shoot a fhuqk of a lot and bang for the buck as meaningful BC's go on a .473",it's tough to whoop Hornie 105 HPBT's,mainly because you can't. They'll kiss your existing OEM throat and just happen to nestle your existing OEM mag confines too and for less than 20 Clams a can. Hint.

That is a schit ton of Precision,a schit ton of Oooomph,a schit ton of ready to roll HIGH quality logistics and it'll save one a schit ton of loot. I'm fairly certain,that none of them attributes is a concession. Plus they're Skookum in the Terminal Affects Department too. Hint.

Wyatt boxes suck ass. Full stop,end of story.

Though Mike is no longer in the picture,Rock spouts easily remain my favorite cut tube,mainly because I got 'em all. Greg has bushed better than a dozen bolts for me and I couldn't say enough good thangs.

Don't be in a hurry to get "tricky",just to fhuqk easy schit up. Revisit what is already in your mitts. Re-hint.

What are you driving for mounts/rings/glass as currently configured? Purty safe bet,that the front base screw is deadheaded into the barrel shank. Hint.

Now falling back to the Hornie 105 HPBT(because it's ALL about the boolit),the 6XC is viable,if you gotta have a new spout/chambering. Tough for me to pass the Lapooey 243 brass to the side,in order to suffer Norma or worse in the XC...though one could certainly neck up Lapooey 22-250 to get there. The 6x47 Lapooey would rate a thunk. I rather love my 20" Brux no-turn 1-8" 6BR and 105's at 2700fps,but feed/function would stump you,unless you went DBM(AICS poly's converted). I'd not be above having Greg bush it,take the boltface down to .378" and build a 20" 1-8" or faster 270,as my 1-8" Bart' 18.5-incher is a phenom and I've a "long" 19.5-incher being built this second. Feed it DBM in AM steel 5's as a default and keep a coupla MDT 10rd polys in the pack for Play and you will hate everything else. Hint.

Bang for the buck,the 243Win STEALS the fhuqking show and nothing else is even in the same realm. Doubly so,when whatcha' already got,only needs a minute of time and a shred of sense to sing.

I'd DD the bitch and the 6xMQ is a given.

Hint.

You've been led to water..........................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Why not just tell the guy that 105 Hornadys are a tried and true fix for a .243 instead of all the other non eloquent BS. HINT......

Custom Strings/Tuning
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I speak matter of factly,mainly because facts fhuqking matter. Hint.

I'll feign my "surprise" that your Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqkery and Cluelessness,is only over shadowed by your being a Lying Piece Of Fhuqking Schit. Congratulations?!?

The Hornie HPBT is viable in more than a few platforms,but no joy ion others due to twist rate and/or COAL latitude. No need to wax eloquent on how little you "know" or "do",nor obliviously quantify the inherent hilarity of your "means","abilities" and "comprehension"...let alone the EPIC fhuqking humor of your "knowledge","experience" and "results". Hint.

PLEASE find me "mistaken" and I'll certainly use words small enough,that even a Day Dreaming Dumbfhuqk such as yourself,can understand.

I'm torn on which is funnier,the pending Silence,Whine or Dumbfhuqktitude. Go for the throat and be sure to fling lotsa pictures. Laughing!

Bless your heart...you Amazingly STUPID Fhuqk.

Wow +P++!

Laughing!.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Larry, go home. Youre drunk. Now i remember why i like certain other parts of the fire.

Custom Strings/Tuning
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Muzzle heavy can be cured with a little metal loss be it length, diameter or flutes. If you're going to abandon ship on the 243, whack an inch off at a time till you like the balance.....might make a shooter or you'll know what you want for contour.

If I were moving out of the 243 I'd look at a 260 or creed for a hunting accuracy gun, an ai or x47 for more targets and less hunting only. Chasing your tough to find brass is no fun. I have a passel of 260ais and they do 140s @ 2875 all day long and accurately. They don't feed as slick as a 260 or creed though.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Larry, go home. Youre drunk. Now i remember why i like certain other parts of the fire.

280DUMBfhuqk,

Your keyboard is slurring(again). Congratulations?!?

I'll feign my GREAT "surprise",that your innate and copious Dumbfhuqktitude,precludes your lying lips or trembling fingers from making mention of ANYTHING The Rifle,in the first hand. I "wonder" why that is? Laughing!

Nothing is fhuqking funnier,than you CLUELESS Window Licking DUMBFHUQKS...trying desperately to Imagine and Pretend a First Fhuqking Clue. Hint.

Bless your heart.

Laughing!......................

'country,

Balance can be yielded a number of ways. As an opening move I'd trip the EDGE and go gelcoat,mainly because it vastly superior.

With the jingle saved,upgrades becomes "free".

LW's are sadly an easy pass anymore(I've broken too many,as have pards) and assuredly the OP has the fore fastener stabbed into the barrel shank. Hint.

The "Leupie" is dubious sounding at best and when conjoined with the other glaring maladies,the rifle NEVER had a chance. The inherent goodness is there,but the OP is making great strides to preclude it seeing the light of day. Hint.

Pass the $20 a box of Hornie 105 HPBT's,3050fps,issued OEM box/throat Smooch,DD rings/bases,6x MQ,Lapooey Virgin false shoulders and Sig Kilo LRF...in the parcel already in her mitts.

Pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess.

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
The problem with the 243 is it doesn't have enough killing power. It falls shy of the bear eradication device diamond d is so successful with.

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Everyone is on the fast twist 18" 270 kick,for some reason.(grin) 880yd steel in more than a "breeze",as seen through the Illuminatti on my BABY 270. 105's slap schit around more than just a little bit good. Crazy!

I could shoot cleans on it with both the erector and freeballin' the 270's windshield,as per my whim. With the 105 'Max at 2525fps launch,every 1MPH of 900yd line wind,drifts 8.85". Sporty Spice couldn't miss either,with 75 'Max at 3150fps launch,every 1MPH of 900yd line wind,drifts 7.56". Tried it with Heavy Hart with 50 V-Max at 3750fps and couldn't get hold of it...though every 1MPH of 900yd line wind,drifts 14.85" with it. There was much more than 150" of drift going on. Someone once mused that boolits matter and they mighta been onto sumptin'.(grin)

'Bout 12 Mils to starboard of crosshair intersection and wind direction was a right angle,starboard to port.

[Linked Image]

'Course everyone shoots at least one fast twist 243AI too and has a SAAMI version kickin' around as well. Figured my 1-7" 20" SAAMI 243Win SPR Krunchenticker spout,mighta been here by now...but can wait until next pass to get it barking.

Had a coupla 18" 270's in tow yesterday,squirtin' 105A-Max,though the wind was doing no favors and not much got stretched past the 1250yd line. There were (3) Hummers in the crummy and they got a purty good work out though and they're never not a riot.

Pard was confirming dope on his Ruger 77/22 Hornet setback lop/chop to 19" and punched KHorn,wearing an Illuminatti glued to subtend with the erector at 4x yesterday. It'll shoot better than 1/2" on 100yd paper and he had the shot of the day,with a CBS stroke at the 610yd line,holding (7) Mils of wind. MPAJ'd hood ruck poke. Funny schit!

[Linked Image]

My "long" fast twist 270 1-7.75" Benchmark MTU contoured 19.5" bitch oughtta be here,before I get back from work and I look forward to stretching it out. 10x MQ 'Horn rings and 2pc 1913 bases,so as to hopefully eek full erector travel,on the otherside of a 200yd Hornie HPBT 105 zero. 70 MOA total inclination,generally puts me on the last spin of the erector's total travel,though it varies due to bridge height geometry,etc. I'd forgotten I had the receiver at the Plumbers,so will gun it for an R&R,then send it out to get TIG'd,threaded and bushed...so as to not fret showing it mercy.

The "problem" with the 243,is that noone has a fhuqking clue about rifles,bullets,mounts/rings or glass. Self-Shucker 105's at 2900fps+ in a 20",will fhuqking blow minds.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I hear good thangs about 'em in 700's too and may have shot one once. In bang for the buck,as per the OP...NOTHING can begin to hang with it. '17 will grant 3050fps easily and with a 250yd zero,the 6x MQ reticle alone,gets a guy to the 1150yd line(9.8 Mils). 5 Mils of 10mph full value wind doesn't transpire until the 1675yd line and as opportunity/utility goes,she's more than a touch capable. The 2000yd line is a paltry 36 Mils of ele and that's EASILY arranged on the erector alone,with but a shred of sense. 900yd line 1MPH drift is 6.44",which is fairly slippery. Hint.(grin)

The Sig is THE ticket.

[Linked Image]

If only because they are AMAZING in every regard and just might be handy in their relative sizing too. 10rd '10 Krunchenticker ASC mag for comparison. Prolly money well spent,for an under 400 Clam Entry Fee. Re-hint.

[Linked Image]

Funny how it's all settin' there as low hangin' fruit,but folks wanna step around it and do something fhuqking STUPID instead. Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't.

I can only lead 'em to water and assuredly cain't make 'em drink...nor would,if I could. The humor is simply too fhuqking EPIC!

Laughing!..............

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Stick, I missed it somewhere, but what exactly 270 are you running...I assume it is a hybrid of some fashion...

"Mark the birds and handle your Dog"
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Stick- thanks for weighing in.

Said Leupie is a mark ar 3-9, mil/mil, with a zero stop on top. Was trying to keep it lightweight. Haven't cranked it yet, but it did put 10 87 grain hornies under an inch at 100 with the very first load of h4350 I tried when the rifle was stock. Oh, and I filed the front screws for the Talleys as soon as I took them out of the package.

I was planning on shooting the .243 barrel out first, but it hasn't shown great potential since having the lugs lapped, received squared, and Timney/Edge added. It's actually shot worse than when it was stock. I bedded the Edge, but am in the middle of a move and haven't shot it yet.

Also, she seems to prefer amaxes to the bthp so far. Have only tried Retumbo, though. I've got some '17 to try, and a shop I visit has '26 in stock... Oh, and I'm just using Nosler brass because it was available locally.

Why does the Wyatt's box suck? Seriously, I haven't seen one yet.

And if I can get the factory tube to shoot 105's, what chambering would you personally go with when it's done? I seem to remember you liking the 7-08...? Or do another .243? As much fun as I'm sure they are, I'm not interested in a BR or a x45...

Greg is right up the road if I wanna bush the pin.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
If it shoots worse after the work, then sumting wong. That should help.

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Well it's not like it's a dog. Just wouldn't replicate the 10 into an inch. Like I said, I bedded the Edge. Hoping that helps.

Last edited by seven_miller; 04/25/16.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
'FAN,

The 6x45 = 270. It is a SNEAKY bastard and noone sees it coming. Brass abounds,bullets obviously abound,COAL is forgiving,powder appetite is hilariously modest...as anytime you are making better than 100fps per grain of powder,mannerisms are rather forgiving.

Shot out the OEM spout on my SAAMI 223 Montucky(Samtucky) and had a hunch that a 1-8" 270 for 105's,would do alotta nice schit with a smile on it's face and it easily exceeds that. Replicated OEM contour,minimized the shank a smidge,crowned at 18.5" with a 1-8" Bartlein 2B carved down to my specs. It is simply a fhuqking HAMMER and will Agg in the realm of stupid,with amazingly trite ES/SD values.

Had a 6x MQ on it to start with,in Posi-Lign DD's,with a shimmed rear base for 70 MOA total inclination and after a 200yd zero,it retained 42.3 Mils on the erector. Swapped it out to scratch an itch and went Illuminatti pinned to subtend erector value at 4x and due the fact that it houses more internal adjustment(62 Mils ele),I gained 7.2 Mils total erector travel in the swap to it...with 49.5 Mils on tap,not counting 10 on the windshield. Could shim more too recover a greater portion of the 62 Mils total erector travel and knowing me,prolly will.(grin)

It's Adirondack-esque,though I prefer the Ti Tac handle.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

As compared to a SAAMI 243Win.

[Linked Image]

Just do it.

Hint.......................(grin)

seven',

Never had any luck with said glass tracking,repeating or holding zero. The Illuminatti blows it outta the fhuqking water,in all regards.

[Linked Image]

I'm not an EDGE Guy so won't go there,other than to say I wouldn't go there. Undoubtedly something is amiss in the assembly or bedding,if not both. '17 is certainly where you wanna be and I'd be driving positive headspaced false-shouldered Smooches,to pinpoint EXACTLY where I was at. From there,it's just a simply matter of deciding what pressure level you want to operate at and once I saw 3050fps,I'd simply mass produce. 105 Hornie HPBT's for me,at that speed and I save the 105 A-Max for my 270 and 6BR.

Wyatt's are chickenschit phony fhuqkers and I'd wayyyyyyyyy rather DBM,than suffer that Goat Fhuqk. Easy to realize 2.950" COAL ala DBM,though I'd not go binderless mags unless mandated.

I've had too many LW's puke on me,so am done there. I had 30+ sets in service and am reeling 'em in,aborting the attempt.

The OEM spout will certainly shoot 105's,once mechanics are sorted,as it has the requisite RPM,throat and COAL latitude. The quicker you start thinking about and building around a bullet,the happier you will be. The SAAMI 7-08 and 162 A-Max at 2700fps is a phenom in a 22" spout('15),there's no doubt and it is simply SINISTER in the wind. I dig my 7-08AI with same at 2850fps in a 24"('17). All my 30-'06's except my Garand are stamped "7-08".(grin)

Nobody wants anything to do with a 1-8" 18.5" 270 or 1-8" 20" no-turn 6BR...until they shoot one,then everyone builds one. Seen it.(grin)

I'm happy to trade case length/capacity,to reap a superior projectile,because the bullet does all of the work and one will reap dividends at the finish line. Conjoin same with eerie Precision,glass that actually repeats and a monster LRF,then a whole lotta schit just got VERY fhuqking easy. Reduce recoil,reduce noise,reduce weight,reduce length and a whole lotta schit just got that much more fun. If you ain't careful,you'll get good with a rifle and then schit ain't even "fair",which is how I like to roll.

Bartlein 18.5" 1-8" 270,Brux 20" no-turn 1-8" 6BR,Mike Rock 21" 1-7" 223AI,Brux 22.25" 1-8" 6-06,coupla OEM Montucky 7Whizzums and a PN 1-9" 7Whizzum.

"Guess" which end of the spectrum gets shot the most and why? Hint.(grin)

[Linked Image]

If you shot either the Baby 270 or Baby BR,you'd simply flip THE fhuqk out,like everyone else and be cutting checks. Same goes the Sig,6x MQ and Illuminatti.

The kids love them for Bucks,especially on Christmas morning.

[Linked Image]

Hint.....................

S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Thanks.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Stick- Any 270s been built on a RAR? Is there a good reason not too? Due to stupid laws, can't use a .22 CF on deer here, but can a .243" bullet. Thinking my 8yo would find it totally suitable and leaning RAR because he shoots lefthanded.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Hey Stick - anything specific that you don't like about the Wyatt's?

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Wyatt's are not as stout as a factory Remington box and the factory 700s have to have a bit of milling done on them for the box to work. Additionally, they often need to be trimmed on the bottom to get them to fit the chosen action/stock/floor plate combo and may need some adjustments get them to feed as reliably as factory. If you don't like the protruding DBM and have oodles of patience, the Wyatt can be made to work and the extra COAL is useful but the DBM is an easier route to the same end.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the info John.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
pointer,

The 270 is great,in anything with 8" RPM or better and the COAL to grant 105 opportunity(2.450" is a ballpark-ish start there).

A RAR is tough to cuss for the loot and I'd be hip on punching a 8" 223 to 223AI...then gunning it in a MDT LSS Chassis(they are ambi too). You get the DBM,copious COAL and a solid platform which connects alotta dots.

Drive steel AM 5-rounders as a default and MDT 10rd ply's for niche applications.

If building/rebarreling,I'd rather go 700.

For the kids...Montucky or bust and I hear good thangs about a 270 in said platform................(grin)

'10K,

The Wyatt schit is fhuqking phony. Plus it often costs a round in the belly.

Other than that,they are "great"...but Tasco sells alotta scopes and that is "prudent" to some.(grin)

Wyatt is an EASY pass and I'm happy to report,that I've never lost a bet of that size............

'64d,

Wyatt is a series of heavy concessions,that inherently negates them as a viable option.

ADL or DBM for me. ADL for Lightweight Killing/Utility Rifles and DBM for Play Toys.

The 8" or better RPM 270,is a straight up Vulcan Mind Fhuqk. It is a pleasure to whistle 100's of 105's through in a day and it's mild manners are rather sumptin' else to behold.

Though I only shoot 270,BR,243,243AI,6mm,6mmAI,6-284 and 6-06 Custom Rifles,from which to extrapolate.

Hint.............

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ran a TCU in a 21" TC 12T yes ago. Mild bark and bite. Fun rifle but would never do another as the 45 is same same w less work and only if 8T which opens many doors. Run many BR's but the 45 is an easier prop to feed in a bolt.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Big Stick
pointer,

The 270 is great,in anything with 8" RPM or better and the COAL to grant 105 opportunity(2.450" is a ballpark-ish start there).

A RAR is tough to cuss for the loot and I'd be hip on punching a 8" 223 to 223AI...then gunning it in a MDT LSS Chassis(they are ambi too). You get the DBM,copious COAL and a solid platform which connects alotta dots.

Drive steel AM 5-rounders as a default and MDT 10rd ply's for niche applications.

If building/rebarreling,I'd rather go 700.

For the kids...Montucky or bust and I hear good thangs about a 270 in said platform................(grin)
Thanks for the info. May just go cheap and get a RAR in 243 and pull a couple of plug wires as the stupid law only allows .243" or .308" bullets. Wonder if I could Dremel a .243 over the 223 designator on a RAR... wink

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.