Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tuchodi Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
I have a 10/22 with a carbon fibre bull barrel and a last shot open bolt release. When I chamber a live round and remove the mag the bolt will not extract the live round. If I reinstall the mag the round extracts and ejects. Anyone experience this issue? Thanks

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Can't explain the business about the magazine's effect on extraction, but if your barrel is a aftermarket replacement with a tight "match" or Bentz chamber, I have read about, not experienced, the issue you decribe. The 10/22 I had was stock and shucked everything, but my CZ 453, a bolt action, had a tight chamber that required a little extra effort to chamber some ammo, notably CCI Velociters and some others with wide driving bands or lots of lube. Kinda comes with the advantage of tight chambers. You might want to experiment with different brands of ammo to see if it fixes things. Then again, ammo that wedges into the lands a bit may shoot better, in which case you may want to live with it and unload with the trigger.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish in the situation you describe. Why are you loading a round, removing the magazine and then trying to extract the live one? If you're just unloading with part of the mag still loaded, extract the round, hold the bolt back and drop the mag.

What fresh Hell is this?
T
Tuchodi Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Have tried several types of ammunition same result. I just like things to work like they are supposed too for safety purposes. Have three of these guns guns. All have extraction problems. Going to put in after market extractors. Hopefully that will work.

Agree with your comments about tight chambers and accuracy.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
My MR used to do this. Try shoving your rod into the chamber. Be sure and attach a bronze brush.

I don't think the mag has anything to do with it. I think it's coincidental.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Can't explain the business about the magazine's effect on extraction, but if your barrel is a aftermarket replacement with a tight "match" or Bentz chamber, I have read about, not experienced, the issue you decribe. The 10/22 I had was stock and shucked everything, but my CZ 453, a bolt action, had a tight chamber that required a little extra effort to chamber some ammo, notably CCI Velociters and some others with wide driving bands or lots of lube. Kinda comes with the advantage of tight chambers. You might want to experiment with different brands of ammo to see if it fixes things. Then again, ammo that wedges into the lands a bit may shoot better, in which case you may want to live with it and unload with the trigger.

Anyway, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish in the situation you describe. Why are you loading a round, removing the magazine and then trying to extract the live one? If you're just unloading with part of the mag still loaded, extract the round, hold the bolt back and drop the mag.

Only in West Virginia would somebody avoid a proper clearing procedure.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We tend to focus on using the correct ammunition.

Makes unloading using the trigger more certain.

Last edited by Pappy348; 04/12/16.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Did you check to make sure the extractor lines up with the notch in the barrel?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Pappy348
We tend to focus on using the correct ammunition.

Makes unloading using the trigger more certain.

Hey now. To be fair, he was told the .223AI works just fine on elk. It just doesn't work too well in a 300 win mag rifle... shocked

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You have the gist of the story, but are mistaken as to the cartridges involved. Not even Travis would mistake a .223 (AI or not) with any .300, except possible a .300 Savage, which I'm pretty certain ain't to be found in his arsenal.

The subject wouldn't have come up if he hadn't cast aspersions on my adopted state. We reserve that privilege to ourselves.

What fresh Hell is this?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (257robertsimp, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 01Foreman400, 13 invisible), 1,320 guests, and 804 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,058
Posts18,463,241
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.