Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
So I just ordered in a barreled uppper reciever for my Palmetto State lower my son gave me. Total newbie to the world of AR's here. My first question is, if I choose to hunt deer with this, and want to try a different caliber besides .223, what calibers can I get and still use this lower without modifying? I'm wondering about 6.5 Grendel? I'd just purchase another complete upper as long as I could drop it on to this receiver.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by gophergunner; 04/14/16.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
ARIC

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Pretty sure it will work, but you'll need different magazines.

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
You can run anything that is in the AR 15 family 204,20 practical,6.8 spc 2,6.5 Grendel, 6x6.8,and alot more wildcat rounds.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking that Grendel would make a decent hunting round.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
If legal, where you are, 223 and good bullets will kill any deer that ever walked....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
If he's in Minnesota, it would be.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe Bob's has what appears to be a good deal on a 6.5 upper. Complete with BCG and charging handle for $500. No personal experience with that brand.

6.5 Upper at Joe Bob's

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If your deer are @150 yards or less, nothing will drop the hammer like the 450 Bushmaster. Should you run across a Moose, Bear or Velosiraptor, you're good to go.

Think blackpowder 45-70-300.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
As others have said, "IF the 223 is legal and you place your shots well", the 223 with proper bullets will likely work on reasonable sized deer.
The Nosler 60 grain partition and 64 grain bullets as well as the 64 grain Winchester bullets are purpose made for big game and I am sure others have suitable bullets.

That said the 6.5 Grendel will do it better as well as others, including the 7.62X39.

Course dead is dead

Some spelling errors can be corrected by a vowel movement.
~ MOLON LABE ~
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking about a conventional scope for hunting purposes, most likely a 3x-9x. Is there any advantage to the purpose-made scopes that have more of a military application? The gun will have open sights in addition to any scope I mount on it. My deer hunting is done in the woods and shots don't range out much farther that 100 yards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
My son has instructed me to make sure I don't buy any magazines without the non-tilt followers. How do I tell by the ads if the mags have these or not?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Also, what's everyone's thoughts on a verticle foregrip, considering I plan on hunting with this rifle?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
the Magpul PMags are very good, and very popular. there seems to be some problems with the 20 rd mags, but the 30 rd mags seem fine. i have NO experience with the 20rd PMags.

the anti tilt followers are a good idea. there have been several revisions, so a little research will help in finding the ones to avoid.

also, the metal usgi mags are good as well. D&H, is one brand that is well received.

as far as scopes go, lots of schools of thought. the best gets expensive, and if your life depends on it, you should get the best.

otherwise, there are a lot of options

http://www.at3tactical.com/blogs/news/11491881-ar-scopes-what-is-the-best-scope-for-your-ar-15

as for verticle grips, i don't like them personally. i have a friend who is a Green Beret, and he uses this:

https://www.magpul.com/products/afg-2

keith

if a man speaks, and there isn't a woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
For hunting out to "100 or so yards" I would lean towards a 1.5-5X or 2-7X in a more compact package. I would leave the irons off of a purely hunting carbine with a scope unless it was an out of town hunt or something.

Don't think a FVG would be much help leaning up against a tree or fence post or from a sitting position. Maybe sticks or a bipod.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
one can put as much crap on an AR15 as one wants, there are hundreds of suppliers with "great ideas" waiting for the next sucker to punch in their CC. Failure to understand that the bolt/carrier/barrel/LR parts kit/receiver tolerances have a lower limit of required quality and then hanging a ton of accessories on a poor base seems to be popular these days. Well it certainly will "look" good. For shooting deer a 5.56 using a 55 or 62 TSX bullet through the front half of the deer works. Different calibers are fun and more expensive, and for me don't bring that much more to the party other than trying something different. I quit reading posts where people claim DRT/hammer of thor a few years ago, shooting skill followed by leaking blood and lack of oxygen is what kills animals. Here is a .22 cal deer gun made by Colt.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I'm thinking along the lines of a 2x-7x. What about the front sight? I'm aware that I should keep the scope as close to the bore as possible, but if I do that, will I be picking up the front sight in stead of what I"m trying to sight on?

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
You learn to ignore the sight, its more visible on low X than high, but you can learn to ignore if if you don't have a detachable front sight...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You won't see it above about 3x.

If it does bother you, they're easy enough to shave down.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
I'm aware that I should keep the scope as close to the bore as possible
True on a bolt gun, but the unique design of an AR requires the scope to be much higher from the barrel than you are likely accustomed to, in order for the scope to align easily with your eye when coming to shoulder.

As an example, if you attempt to install standard weaver scope rings on an AR, the extra high are not high enough unless you also use a rail or some method to get them higher.

The one piece mounts made by various makers such as Burris, Primary Arms, LeRue, etc are the best way to go. With such mounts the only thing you need to be concerned about is the diameter of the tube, not the height needed to clear the barrel with the objective bell.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
R
Actually I have a couple of guns with just extra high rings and no riser and they work fine for ME.....

But I have the rest with an extra 3/4 riser and then normal rings or so... seem a bit easier, the just EH rings I do have to have a snug cheek weld, which isn't a bad thing either.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
631 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 12308300, 57 invisible), 2,861 guests, and 1,200 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,740
Posts18,401,149
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.