Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Have a Montana on the way and I need a scope. Was thinking of a Night Force 2.5-10x32 but was wondering if this scope is too heavy for a lightweight gun like that. Didn't know if it would screw up the balance. My other choice might be a Leupold 2.5-8. Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Go with the Leupold. Why buy a lightweight rifle and then mount a heavy scope on the gun? Defeats the purpose of a light rifle.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Agreed, night force is too heavy. If you are looking for something above the leupold range, the Swarosvki z3 I believe is also on the lighter side yet an excellent piece of glass.

If you died tomorrow, what would you have done today ...
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Both Leica and Vortex have just released high end 1.5-8X32 scopes that are light weight.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I wouldn't listen to the naysayers, the NF will work very well on your Kimber. I have tried a variety of optics on my Kimber and finally settled on a SWFA SS 3-9x42, a scope similar in size and weight to the NF you are considering. The rifle balances and carries well w/ the SS.

[Linked Image]

David

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Sure it will work,you just have to decide how light you want it to be. If you go NF, I hear the 42mm getting better reviews.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Sure it will work,you just have to decide how light you want it to be.

Exactly. For those who say "why buy a light rifle and put a heavy scope on it," my answer is, so that the rifle/scope combination is a pound or two lighter than it would have been with a heavier rifle.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would say it depends on if you plan on twisting turrets often for making shots? If so, I say get the NF. If not, I'd get the Leupold, though I'd opt for a fixed 6X.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by smokepole

Exactly. For those who say "why buy a light rifle and put a heavy scope on it," my answer is, so that the rifle/scope combination is a pound or two lighter than it would have been with a heavier rifle.

Yep!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

Yep. Besides that, a heavy scope is built heavy for a reason. It has heavy (read that durable) components. There is no free lunch. A NF or SS is heavy and will take a beating. A Leupold is OK for a light scope. You can only do so much with light components.

Pick your tradeoff. Personally, I am done with light rifles. I will take a medium rifle with a heavy scope any day for the ease of shooting and dependability. But then again, I don't mind packing a little extra weight while hunting, either.

You did not "seen" anything, you "saw" it.
A "creek" has water in it, a "crick" is what you get in your neck.
Liberals with guns are nothing but hypocrites.
IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I say put whatever you want to on it, for whatever reason you want, and don't give a crap what anyone else thinks about it. It works for me pretty good.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks for the replies. This gun is pretty light and I just thought I should get a scope that can hold up.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dmentzer
Thanks for the replies. This gun is pretty light and I just thought I should get a scope that can hold up.

What caliber is the rifle? How do you intend to hunt with it? Will it be a long range shooter where you will need to dial or use a ranging reticle? Will it be a stand gun or one you will hike with quite a bit? All those questions will decide what scope you need.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm of the opinion that the Leupold 2.5-8x36 and the Kimber MT are a match made in heaven. But I've only owned 17 Kimber MT's so I'm not very well informed.

Send the 2.5-8x36 to Rupold and have a CDS installed.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Brad
I'm of the opinion that the Leupold 2.5-8x36 and the Kimber MT are a match made in heaven. But I've only owned 17 Kimber MT's so I'm not very well informed.

Don't give up Brad - one day you'll find a rifle/scope combination you like well enough to keep...

wink

Ever try a NF on one of your 84m's?

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Canazes9

Don't give up Brad - one day you'll find a rifle/scope combination you like well enough to keep...

wink

David

I've got two Kimber MT's, neither of which will ever leave. Especially given Kimber has bubba'd the current one's. Mine, if they ever get changed, will be due to re-barrels.

As to scopes, I love NF's... have used them. Perfect for what they are, and designed for. But a 19+ oz scope doesn't belong on a svelte Mtn rifle.

Ever carried an actual Mountain Rifle on a mountain in Montana?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 2.5-8x Reupold is a Goat Fhuqk,in that they don't hold zero,track or repeat. Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't...and I've only shot out a few Montucky barrels.(grin)

Pass glass that'll do all the things the 2.5-8x won't/can't and then some,be it Montucky or otherwise.

Hint.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Though I've only bought a coupla hunnert scopes to compare/contrast and the R&D is NEVER fhuqking ending.

[Linked Image]

Hint.

Laughing!..................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Yeah, but you don't hunt on actual mountains and only hunt off logging roads.

HINT.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

wink

David

I've got two Kimber MT's, neither of which will ever leave. Especially given Kimber has bubba'd the current one's. Mine, if they ever get changed, will be due to re-barrels.

As to scopes, I love NF's... have used them. Perfect for what they are, and designed for. But a 19+ oz scope doesn't belong on a svelte Mtn rifle.

Ever carried an actual Mountain Rifle on a mountain in Montana?

Nope, sorry you lost me at "in Montana". It's on the list though....

David

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

Nope, sorry you lost me at "in Montana". It's on the list though....

David

Figured...

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (12344mag, 11point, 160user, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,958 guests, and 1,231 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.