Hop To
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Brad
....I find it counter-productive to put a heavy 1000 yard scope on a lightweight 500 yard rifle.

I'm talking about on game, in the mountains, under ACTUAL field conditions. For that, a Kimber MT is not a 1000 yard rifle.

Not punching steel on the back forty... totally different.

I thought we were talking about rifles. A 1000-yard rifle is a 1000-yard rifle. Yes, it's harder for the shooter to hit in the field but if you can hit from 1000 at the range, the rifle/load doesn't lose its accuracy when it goes to the field. The shooter just has to be able to get into the right position, or not take the shot. Any 1000-yard shot, whether it's at the range or in the field is going to be from a very stable position, most likely prone with a bipod and a rear bag from a fairly level spot.

My NULA is a 1000-yard rifle and that's not just off a bench. Why would I want to put a 500-yard scope on a 1000-yard rifle?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Tanner what is that?

That's actually the very same 308 that EHG posted above before it got his makeover, with a 3-9 SWFA on top. I only killed one critter with it, a cow elk at 510 yards, but it's a great shooter with 155 Scenars.

Tanner

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
An awful lot of this comes down to hunting style. In my part of Montana, the frickin wind blows so much that I would never consider carrying a heavier rifle on a backpack hunt. The probability of getting an acceptable shot is just too small to justify the weight.

Anybody that reads this forum enough knows that attacking Brad for his lack of knowledge or skill or whatever is ridiculous. He posts photos of 6 pt bulls every fall. I can't recall any of those bashing him in this thread doing the same.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you're talking about me, I'm not "bashing" anyone and there's nothing personal in my posts. I'm just saying there's more than one way to look at scoping a light rifle. It all comes down to personal preference anyway.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Some NM Flat Land. Sorry for the Remy Ti, Kimbers moved in last year. These had Leupold 3-9's.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Bow flat land
[Linked Image]

Little pack in flat land fishing.
[Linked Image]

Flat land Barbary hunt.
[Linked Image]

I get lighter is better but 8-12 oz of scope will never be the reason for not being successful. I have 3.5-10's on my 2- Montanas and they are working but will be changed shortly. I have a 2-8 Leupy on a muzzy and agree with getting closer, but Nightforce is never the wrong choice IMHO.

Good Shooting!
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
There's no right or wrong answer.

100% subjective topic.

Like you say, it all comes down to hunting style.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by SamOlson
There's no right or wrong answer.

100% subjective topic.

Like you say, it all comes down to hunting style.

Prezactly Samo.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 1Nut
Originally Posted by Backroads

Not that you have to worry about friends hunting with you. whistle

Not a formal friend, but I'd hunt with Brad. wink

He only hunts solo, unsupported, mountain backpacking.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

And you know this how?

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

And you know this how?

Why else would you be so condescending? No one else can possibly hunt a Montucky properly.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My main concern, if hunting with Brad, is that he'd hike me into the ground. And I can hike.

Tanner- you SOLD that one-hole wonder of a .308 Montucky?! For shame! grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
LOL, you "see" what you want. Tell you what, PM me your contact information. I'll give you a jingle and when it works for us both, I'll buy you a beer. You can see for yourself.

Or if you prefer, a glass of wine at Plonk grin

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
BTW, I went back and re-read a few of my responses. You're right. Some were a bit abrupt and condescending. Wasn't my intention. Chalk it up to having driven all day and being exhausted. Not to self, don't post when tired and cranky grin

My apologies to those I've offended.

Larry excluded grin

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
LOL, you "see" what you want. Tell you what, PM me your contact information. I'll give you a jingle and when it works for us both, I'll buy you a beer. You can see for yourself.

Or if you prefer, a glass of wine at Plonk grin

Gonna skip the Plonk invite. Thanks.

It is hard to express sarcasm in print.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
BTW, I went back and re-read a few of my responses. You're right. Some were a bit abrupt and condescending. Wasn't my intention. Chalk it up to having driven all day and being exhausted. Not to self, don't post when tired and cranky grin

Larry excluded grin

Anyone that hunts in Montana is OK in my book. Except fat roadhunters.
Grin.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I switched out 6x Leupolds for 6x SS MQ's on two Montana's. I fought it pretty hard too as I was not wanting the extra weight. They weight 7 lbs 1 oz with the scope and DD rings and bases. I'd only go back to the Leupolds if they tracked as good and had the MQ reticle with the same amount of travel in a light weight package. Not gonna happen.

I backpack hunt a few times every season and will gladly schlep the extra weight for all the extras it affords me.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Higbean, you guys get excited about those big erectors <g>....

I'd trade some erector travel for a lighter scope, IF it had the mechanical precision. Not shooting my Montana 2314 yards anytime soon.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Higbean, you guys get excited about those big erectors <g>....

I'd trade some erector travel for a lighter scope, IF it had the mechanical precision. Not shooting my Montana 2314 yards anytime soon.

Yeah

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Higbean
I switched out 6x Leupolds for 6x SS MQ's on two Montana's. I fought it pretty hard too as I was not wanting the extra weight. They weight 7 lbs 1 oz with the scope and DD rings and bases. I'd only go back to the Leupolds if they tracked as good and had the MQ reticle with the same amount of travel in a light weight package. Not gonna happen.

I backpack hunt a few times every season and will gladly schlep the extra weight for all the extras it affords me.

Higbean, what's the eye relief on the SS scopes?

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Larry excluded grin

Looks like you are growing your mangina quite nicely Mac...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

596 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 67 invisible), 2,626 guests, and 1,329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,023
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.