Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by dmentzer
Have a Montana on the way and I need a scope. Was thinking of a Night Force 2.5-10x32 but was wondering if this scope is too heavy for a lightweight gun like that. Didn't know if it would screw up the balance. My other choice might be a Leupold 2.5-8. Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

It makes zero sense to go with Night Force and weight has nothing to do with it. To make it worthwhile Night Force must be mated to marksman rifle to be used by expert marksman. While I can not make assumptions about your shooting skills because I do not know you I'm pretty certain Kimber Montana is mass produced hunting rifle.
Light weight Leupold is good match for your Kimber Montana.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I've read all of the posts and I agree that a scope choice is a personal thing.

Still, I cant get the image of a monkey humping a football out of my mind when I think Montana and Night Force together.

It's official. I missed the selfie deadline so I'm Maser's sock puppet because rene and the Polish half of the fubar twins have decided that I am.

ΜOΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Slavek
Have a Montana on the way and I need a scope. Was thinking of a Night Force 2.5-10x32 but was wondering if this scope is too heavy for a lightweight gun like that. Didn't know if it would screw up the balance. My other choice might be a Leupold 2.5-8. Any opinions welcome. Thanks.

It makes zero sense to go with Night Force and weight has nothing to do with it. To make it worthwhile Night Force must be mated to marksman rifle to be used by expert marksman. While I can not make assumptions about your shooting skills because I do not know you I'm pretty certain Kimber Montana is mass produced hunting rifle.

A few Montana groups from a couple of different rifles/chamberings. Each was shot from prone, off of either a pack or a piece of denim filled with beans, in varying terrain (aka no benches- field-esque conditions)...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
.....I'm pretty certain Kimber Montana is mass produced hunting rifle.

I'm pretty certain you haven't shot one.....

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I went from a 6x Leupo to a 4-9x SWFA on an 84M. Add me to 4-9x SS fan club, who already responded. It did not throw off the balance one bit, and is probably similar in weight to the NF.

If anything, the added weight has made my Kimber EASIER to shoot. With the lighter scope there was considerable muzzle jump. With the SS and Warne rings & bases, it's a tack-driver with noticeably less jump (i.e. straight back recoil).

I'd consider the 6x, 4-9x, and 1-4x from SWFA for your Endless Mountain hunts. The 1-4x might be perfect but I don't have one yet. If you don't need turrets or mil-based reticle the Leupo 6x42 is a good scope.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/17/16.
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I guess i would have to disagree with this.

Nothing wrong with a conventional light scope on a Kimber or similar rifle...but if we think that a NF or SWFA SS or similar scope won't help extend the range of the light rifle that has been properly tuned, and at the expense of a little extra weight.....forget it.

I am late to this game but can see already that modern scopes make hitting at distance far easier than ever before...even with light rifles. I am certainly no expert rifleman!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by smokepole

There are some exceptions out there....

This is more advanced design than Kimber. The barrel is inserted into heated receiver and the bolt probably locks directly into the barrel shank.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by smokepole

There are some exceptions out there....

This is more advanced design than Kimber. The barrel is inserted into heated receiver and the bolt probably locks directly into the barrel shank.

And what is your point?

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The top of his head.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You suckers are gonna make me buy a new rifle with all this Montana talk....

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Higbean, you guys get excited about those big erectors <g>....

I'd trade some erector travel for a lighter scope, IF it had the mechanical precision. Not shooting my Montana 2314 yards anytime soon.

Nobody is surprised that you won't be shooting.

I was in Sportsmans a while back and some guy was standing by the powder all excited he found a pound of H4895. I pointed to the 8 pound jug on the top shelf.

"That's too much shooting" says the guy.

Yeah, too much.

Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Higbean
I switched out 6x Leupolds for 6x SS MQ's on two Montana's. I fought it pretty hard too as I was not wanting the extra weight. They weight 7 lbs 1 oz with the scope and DD rings and bases. I'd only go back to the Leupolds if they tracked as good and had the MQ reticle with the same amount of travel in a light weight package. Not gonna happen.

I backpack hunt a few times every season and will gladly schlep the extra weight for all the extras it affords me.

Higbean, what's the eye relief on the SS scopes?

Heck if I know. Not as awesome as the Leupold 6x but it isn't tough to get behind.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 4th_point

I went from a 6x Leupo to a 4-9x SWFA on an 84M. Add me to 4-9x SS fan club, who already responded. It did not throw off the balance one bit, and is probably similar in weight to the NF.

If anything, the added weight has made my Kimber EASIER to shoot. With the lighter scope there was considerable muzzle jump. With the SS and Warne rings & bases, it's a tack-driver with noticeably less jump (i.e. straight back recoil).

I'd consider the 6x, 4-9x, and 1-4x from SWFA for your Endless Mountain hunts. The 1-4x might be perfect but I don't have one yet. If you don't need turrets or mil-based reticle the Leupo 6x42 is a good scope.

Jason

That'd be ok by me! I had to more or less stop shooting for a couple years to heal up an injury. My Montana has been a bit of a PITA to get back in the saddle with. 7 WSM W/162's or 190 Bergers; she has some recoil.

One big reason a Montana can be a very accurate rifle is that trigger. Set it real light... fantastic trigger.

You guys are digging that 4-9x SS.... grin....

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Higbean
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
Higbean, you guys get excited about those big erectors <g>....

I'd trade some erector travel for a lighter scope, IF it had the mechanical precision. Not shooting my Montana 2314 yards anytime soon.

Nobody is surprised that you won't be shooting.

That's funny.

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stereotypes are funny because they are true.

And they save time.

Be careful not to stereotype Indians however, because they will shoot you with arrows.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I shoot all the time, but it's your story as they say. smile

The CENTER will hold.

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The If/Might/maybe Chronicles are fhuqjking hilarious! I'd be curious to know who shoots less than Brad or Jeff-O? It don't get any fhuqking funnier,then a coupla Brokedick Turd Polishers,trying to talk Rifles. Laughing!

I enjoy Brad's Whine and her grasp on Physics,as weighting the fulcrum now "changes" balance. Funny schit!

Never been tough to cypher who shoots and who don't. If one bolted "all" of Brad's Outdoor "Experience" with Jeff-O's,factored how "much" a rifle was schlepped during that paltry sum,it'd make a Texan think they'd done something. Laughing!

I reckon I'll fuel those Do NOTHING Dumbfhuqks Imagination and Pretend some more,with yet another slice of Reality...so pardon the facts. Reupold simply don't make anything that'll hang with a Fixed Fhuqker or The Illuminatti. Sad but true and that a $300 glass so RELIABLY crushes them,is more than a wee bit fhuqking funny to boot. Hint.

I've yet to see a single soul who's gunned one of my Montuckys with a Fixed Fhuqker,not IMMEDIATELY order one on the same day as their exposure. There isn't a higher density of Fixed Fhuqers anywhere on the fhuqking Planet,than my AO. Why is that? Because folks ACTUALLY fhuqking Hunt/Shoot and the sanctity of rugged reliability,bolstered with huge amounts of erector travel and a reticle that smokes everything else,is simply impossible to not incorporate. Read that again. Now one more time. Hint. Laughing!

Reupolds BEST Killing Glass has always been the 6x42 and 3.5-10x...unless you wanna count the somewhat rarified MK4 M3 6x.

Hint.

[Linked Image]

I've faith in the MK4 M1 3.5-10X's,as I've yet to fail one. Haven't managed to break a MK4 M3 3.5-10x either,but they simply suck ass and are horribly crippled in erector travel. Exceed that magnification and everything is a steaming pile of schit. As me how I KNOW. Hint. Laughing!

[Linked Image]

Now I'm at a DISTINCT "disadvantage" from Brad and Jeff-O,as I can only extrapolate in the flesh,side by each comparisons of 100's of rifles,which ain't very fhuqking "fair",though I don't feel compelled to apologize for the fact. Hint. Laughing!

I shot more yesterday,than both of those Dumbfhuqks bolted together,do in a year. Might of even had a Montucky or two in tow.(grin) The weather was only fair to middlin',so I didn't stretch my 18" 270 and Illuminatti out beyond the 1485yd line,which is just a chip shot for it,due the splendor of the parcel. Hint.

The 14 ounce Illuminatti,do what Reupold couldn't begin to DREAM of fhuqking doing. 'Course that rifle and scope,has sold ALOTTA rifles and scopes,the magnitude of which...The Paper Hat Brigade could not begin to fathom,with their Fish Knockers and Flatlanding "Adventures". Laughing!

With a 200yd zero ala DD Signatures with 20MOA dumped in(the most possible) and 50 MOA in the rear base,that itty-bittyy MAGNIFICENT sonofafhuqking bitch coughs up 49.5 Mils remaining on the erector. I savvy how that is Greek to The Do Nothing Gang and that is the ONLY fhuqking reason,facts is so fhuqking funny! Hint.

Having 165 MOA+ on tap ala erector alone,is not a concession. Better read that again. Now one more time. Google it and nod your pointy head,like you've a fhuqking clue. LAUGHING!

'Course that don't take into account,the 10 Mils on the windshield,which in and of itself,smokes ALL things Reupold. Hint. Them windows of opportunity are of course gonna sail over pointy heads and that humor ain't to be slighted,mainly because these AMAZINGLY inept Clueless Fhuqks are doing their BEST. The only things they "shoot" are their mouths and Imaginations. Hint. Laughing!

So if one were to SteelBed both turrets on an Illuminatti into a fixed position,it would still simply stomp the fhuqking schit out of the POS Reupold 2.5-8x. How/why? It is VASTLY superior in zero retention,far more robust as a whole,hands 36MOA over on a Silver Platter and grants the option of Illumination if one is in the mood. 'Course they are HEAVY too,at the aforementioned 14 ounces. Read that again. Now one more time. Print it and paste it to the wall. Hint. Laughing!

If only to add insult to injury,the Illuminatti also happens to cost less,which is yet another bitter pill. Hint. Laughing!

So for Pavement Pounding Window Lickers everywhere,who's frettin' "weight",you've done been led to fhuqking water. Hint.

I also VERY much enjoyed the notion of bumping Montucky contours,as that certainly ain't no run of the mill DUMBFHUQKERY there. Hint. Laughing!

The Montucky only gets better,with a loss of length and a shank reduction...pardon my being afforded the luxury,of not being forced to guess. Tough to whoop a 18" Montucky,chambered in sumptin' GOOD and launching upper echelon BC's ala MQtitude. Hint. Laughing!

A few hard headed pards,learned some TOUGH lessons in the past coupla years,by fixating on weight,as opposed to rugged reliability. Reupold scope failures(outright pukes) were the common theme and more LW's met their Maker and compromised Hunts. Back up rifles from a partner,had to be incorporated to get the tags punched and that were a fortunate Plan B.

I aborted LW's first,as though I only had 3 dozen+ sets in HARD Use,I hit a 10% failure rate,which is more than I could abide. When your mounting system pukes,the party is fhuqking OVER. For some reason,there has been a mass exodus away from LW's and the warm/welcome return to DD Sanctity,is the best 2 ounce trade in da' bidness. Hint.

Now conjoin stalwart mounting systems,with glass that is far more rugged/reliable and one needn't fret prior concerns,because they are mitigated outta the gate. Them is nice "problems" to have.

So while I much appreciate the oblivious humor of Drooling Dumbfhuqks trying to talk Rifles,the astute will always be able to connect dots and Window Lickers "think" that they can.(grin)

It's a crying fhuqking shame that Reupold cannot even BEGIN to fhuqking compete,but facts is facts and vast superiority is an easy transition to make. The 6x42 with an etched reticle that were MQ-esque,would STEAL the fhuqking show,as it's eye-relief and ease of use remains THE pinnacle. Reupold simply has no answer to the MQ reticle,MQ tracking,MQ repeats,MQ zero retention and MQ reliability. None. That ain't no fun to say,but it's FACT. Hint.

Anywhoo...I'll let you Do Nothing Kchunts return to your nothingness and them who shoot,will simply be cuttin' checks and blowing their own minds. I've only got (3) more MQ's enroute and I doubt that'll put me over 50 total.

But it might.(grin)

Gotta 'load a bit more 270 and C-Note,then Cast & Blast until dark.

Hint.

GOOD talk.

Laughing!.......................

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's to hoping you learn a few things on your next range trip.

In the mean time, here is a video that looks like a step in the right direction for you.

H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H
Jordan- what app are you using? is it i phone supported??

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ballistic:AE for iOS

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If you want to drop the change, put the NF NXS 2.5-10 x 42 on it instead of the 32mm & never look back.......won't hurt the balance & besides balance is only relevant shooting off-hand.

Get the illuminated MOAR reticle; I have the non-illuminated version in one & like it but wish it was illuminated.

You could do a lot worse than the NF..........

MM

Page 7 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

667 members (10gaugeman, 160user, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,162 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,140
Posts18,464,822
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.