Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
No, those are double-d down there. grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Ingwe,

Canada has Starbucks too. Tim's coffee is bad, but Starbuck's is worse! wink

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by BC30cal
... there are 4 Tim's shops - and always a line up if they're open. It's a license to print money up here I tell you.... funny coloured money of course and it's only worth $ .75, but still ... Dwayne

Dwayne, the only Tim's with which I am familiar is the one in Dryden, at which we stop when visiting your beautiful country. I very much like the pastries and the coffe. I am not sure if all of the properties are set up the same, but from my experience at this one, the thing that I find most impressive is the design of the traffic "flow" entering and exiting the property. If a person were to set out to design a parking lot/drive-through that was intended to mimic an old-time fish trap, he could not do better than follow this lay-out. I am quite sure that there are many vehicles that will be abandoned there as the owners eventually give up and walk away.
Best, John

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
5sdad;
Thanks for the reply John, I trust this finds you and yours well.

It's heartening for me to hear that the Tim's franchise sticks to a set pattern or at very least objective in the drive through design.

In the small city mentioned - Penticton, BC - the Tim's drive through set ups have at least two, if not three ways of entering the parking lot/drive through area.

These are set up at oblique angles and with tight enough turning radii - yes plural - that it's a trick to maneuver them in our short box full size 4x4 pickup. In the work truck I'm often in - an F450 full crew cab with a 12' deck - well you don't even try....

Oh and if it's early and only the takeout window is open, they won't serve you on foot - even if you point to the parking lot and show them that you're there with said F450 and towing a 24' tilt deck trailer...... no, no rules are rules you see..... frown

So the layout favors a smart car sized vehicle, but of course the take out window is placed in a sufficiently lofty position that you can't reach your coffee in said little commuter car without unbuckling the seat belt and stretching upward for your dose of Canuck caffeine.

Lastly and perhaps I shouldn't even post this on public forum as it may well be considered treasonous - but I prefer McDonald's coffee if I'm buying coffee, which I rarely do.

Anyway sir thanks again for the reply and all the best to you folks this Sunday.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Don't forget Dominion Ammo... And remember when the saying was: Do you know what I mean...? Someone told me it was a common jail term...lol

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ive not rad all the posts on this. But I believe that it is a little know. Fact that the spelling of Canada is a gross misunderstanding.
It was supposed to be Cnd, but it came across wrong.
The way they originally spoke the spellng was:

C (AYE) N (AYE) D (AYE)

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Bugger
Ive not rad all the posts on this. But I believe that it is a little know. Fact that the spelling of Canada is a gross misunderstanding.

C (AYE) N (AYE) D (AYE)

I thought it was spelled C (eh)N(eh)D(eh)....

I gotta get this right cause Im going back up there in August....might be cool enough in the evening by then to need a bunny hug...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gee, I'm just going by a notable authority, but he may have mispronounced the 'eh'.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
35 years ago I lived in BC for a few years, and there are terms that are uniquely Canadian that I still use once in a awhile.

Some people look at me funny, and others know what I'm speaking about.

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I just checked on provisions for this years trip to fish for pike.

Rickards Red is available in bottles.

Good to go! laugh

IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Originally Posted by Bugger

C (AYE) N (AYE) D (AYE)

I thought it was spelled C (eh)N(eh)D(eh)....

I gotta get this right cause Im going back up there in August....might be cool enough in the evening by then to need a bunny hug...

Your spelling is correct, yer Poobahness!

The pronunciation is a lot different than most 'Murricans can handle, though.

I'm booked to hunt bear in northern Alberta in a couple months, and after I talked to the outfitter a couple weeks ago I slipped into my northern Alberta accent sort of by accident, and cracked up The Redhead and her son. They're not used to it by a long shot!

You have to talk a lot faster, and put a lot more lilt in yer lingo up there. I lived most of my life in Southern Alberta (Calgary), so my "accent" was/is similar to an American Midwesterner's speech. But I spent enough time up nort' to become fluent in northernspeak... to my ear, it sounds pretty much the same from Ft. St. John all the way across PA (Prince Albert), to Flin Flon, and into Northern Ontario. Now that my ear and my tongue are more accustomed to the slower speech of my fellow Texicans, the northern accent is really noticeable to me. Sounds a lot more Newf than I realized!

So practice yer speech, Poobs, when you go up there fishin' fer pickerel and jacks. You don't want to be mistaken for a noob.

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by ingwe
Yeah, I stopped at a Tims last year for the first time....it wasn't at all what I expected. Kinda like a Canadian Starbucks....

Tim Horton's seems to have some regional variation in franchise quality. In Ontario and Alberta, they used to be damn good donut shops. Good coffee, and donuts so good that Krispy Kreme actually copied them, I'm told. We had Timbits (donut holes) and coffee in Banff last summer and they were as delicious as I remembered.

Nother thing that's different is what they call different brands of beers. Rickards Red used to be one of my favorites, but Big Rock Traditional (Trad) ruled the roost in southern Alberta. Labatt's Blue is called "Pil" everywhere but Alberta, where "Pil" was reserved for Lethbridge Pilsner, a label that Molson's took over. Canadian is called Canadian everywhere. And O'Keefe's Extra Old stock (7% alcohol) was always Hi-Test. Dunno what they call anything nowadays, though. You guys still livin' nort' of the Medicine Line will have to weigh in here.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by DocRocket

So practice yer speech, Poobs, when you go up there fishin' fer pickerel and jacks. You don't want to be mistaken for a noob.

The main thing Ive noticed and need to work on is an upward lilt to the voice at the end of each sentence, as if each one were a question....

And we won't be fishing for pickerel, just jackfish eh! grin

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I always giggle under my breath every time I'm in Canada. Can't say I've ever had a bad time there, but they sure do talk funny.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I would go live in Calgary again in a heartbeat. I might be without wife though.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by wabigoon
Now, the old joke comes to mind.

This Iowa farmer wears his bib overalls to Canada on a two week fishing trip, with a hundred dollar bill in a front pocket and doesn't change either the entire trip.

Wabigon, you're referring to the common "Striped Whistler," a farmer from Iowa in his pin striped coveralls. He wonders into a shop in one of the provinces, sees an item he likes, and asks, "how much is this?" The clerk answers and the SW whistles loudly and goes, "kinda high aint' it?"

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by EdM
I would go live in Calgary again in a heartbeat. I might be without wife though.

Ha! That would definitely affect one's decision-making.

I wouldn't though, despite living there from age 7 until age 42, with a couple brief hiatuses in northern Alberta. Calgary has grown enormously, and I just don't care for big cities at all any more. It's not the same town I grew up in, and hasn't been for a long time.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Greg_S
Pea-meal Bacon is Pea-meal Bacon and is indeed back bacon inside the pea-meal. I was told by Ontarioian that it is as Canadian as could be but had NEVER heard of it out west. Had it/saw it for the first time in my mid fifties on a visit to Ontario.

We use to call is "chicken feed bacon" in our family.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Ingwe,

Canada has Starbucks too. Tim's coffee is bad, but Starbuck's is worse! wink

Micky D's is better than both. Small coffee and a muffin for under $2.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (444Matt, 44automag, 35sambar, 10gaugemag, 12 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 775 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,662
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.