-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
This article was hilarious. Still laughing. "Animal Rights" activists use the post-Cecil effect to stigmatize and curtail hunting (also flight and trophy restrictions) then human-animal conflicts increase. The inevitable answer must boil down to...Get this...racist farmers. Think it's time for the lib-tards to find a new card in their deck.
Only surprised they didn't fit global warning into this cluster mess of a headline.

Shall post the link first, then paste the article. Enjoy.

Racist Farmers Cause of Upsurge in Human Animal Conflicts

Racist farmers in Africa are causing a surge in human-lion conflict

Niki Rust, The Conversation UK
22h 32,495 42

Reuters/Noor Khamis

Predators like lions and leopards are becoming more populous in Namibia due to the success of recent conservation measures.

These wild animals are unfortunately causing increasing problems on livestock farms, as some of them prefer to eat beef steak for dinner rather than gamey venison.

This, unsurprisingly, annoys ranchers, who can turn to their guns for a short-term solution.

Conservationists have been trying to reduce this “human-wildlife conflict” for decades now.

They’ve dabbled with livestock-guarding dogs to scare away predators, put up fences to keep livestock away from wild animals, given compensation to reimburse farmers for killed cows or sheep and even marketed “predator-friendly” beef that gives a price-premium to farmers that don’t kill carnivores.

But farmers in Namibia are still reporting increased conflict. Why is this?

Previous research has looked into the environmental factors that affect the situation, such as the number of wild prey animals available for predators to eat or the types of habitats around the farms. But these studies often ignore the most critical part of all conservation issues: humans.

I spent almost a year living on a livestock farm in Namibia in order to understand how political, economic, historical and social drivers might be influencing human-carnivore conflict. I visited many farms and interviewed the managers and their workers, and started to notice a trend: those farms that reported no issues with carnivores tended to be well-managed with happy, motivated workers.

The historical backdrop of the country, particularly its era of apartheid, still looms over the farmlands like a foreboding shadow. The owners of these commercial farms were invariably white and, without exception, the workers were black. We started to ask farmers and their staff more about their working relationships and how they felt about working on farms.

What we discovered was there were farms where the managers were both racist and violent towards their workers, which demotivated employees to perform well at their jobs. Racist managers also tended not to see the benefits of training their staff in more effective livestock husbandry, meaning employees were not skilled in protecting their cows and sheep from predators.

Many of the workers were also very poorly educated and some didn’t even know how to count properly. The farmer was asking the workers to go out and move a 250-herd of cattle from one field to another and check that none had been left behind, but you cannot expect them to do that if they can’t count to 100. This meant the livestock that were left behind were more likely to be eaten by predators.

But what’s more, on these farms where workers were badly treated, staff sometimes resorted to revenge tactics for the violent treatment received from the farmers. Employees would poach oryx, zebra and other game animals either for food or to sell on for money, especially when they were not paid well. Reduced wild game numbers meant that carnivores were more likely to target livestock, making the conflict with carnivores worse.

On top of this, workers sometimes stole livestock to sell on for profit and, to try to cover their tracks, told the farmer that a predator had come in the night and taken his calves. The farmer then thought he had a worse problem with predators than he really did, and it was all because of the racist, negligent treatment towards the workers.

So how can we tackle the problem? Conservationists are not trained to deal with racism, human resources or to improve unequal societies. But our research has shown just how ingrained the conflict between carnivores and livestock farmers is: we cannot rely only on technical measures to fix this issue.

Our work adds to a growing number of studies highlighting how problems of people-wildlife coexistence can be caused by conflict within humans. To figure out how to live peacefully with lions and leopards, we have to understand the deeper socio-cultural drivers that may underlie such conflicts and develop policies that resonate with the values and aspirations of farmers as well as conservationists.

We must start digging deeper into the human dimensions because, after all, if it weren’t for us humans, we wouldn’t need conservation. That’s why we need to work more with social scientists, historians and psychologists. If carnivores are to have a hope living on this planet, it’s up to us to save them. And to be successful at that, maybe we could imitate hungry hunting lions: collaboration is the key.

I Hunt and I Fish, If I Need to Get Away. If You're Finding Fault With Me, Moaning More Than I Can Stand, I'll Tell You What...For a Little While I'll Go See the Outdoor Plan. -Hank III
GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Now I've heard it all!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That author should invest $400,000 and start his own farm in Africa.

- he doesn't know how to farm

- he doesn't understand Africa

- he doesn't understand Africans, or how they think or how to manage them

He'd be frustrated in one season and bankrupt in two and he'd be the "racist" after that because of his frustration and inability to manage the farm and the labor

There are endless stories about failures of people strait from elsewhere coming to Africa. The ones that bring extra humanitarian efforts that fail are endless.

Like the ones that build the staff nice little quarters only to see the African staff strip the dwellings of wooden door jams and window casings, not to mention the furniture and burn it as fuel. Door jams and window casings as well as wooden chairs are stupid where they come from and have no value beyond fuel.

The stories like the landowner who builds a bridge over a gully or river bed only to see the locals dismantle it and steal the wood.

The dude that tries poultry only to have the staff steal the chickens left and right.

It goes on and on and on. Africans are not Europeans and absolutely don't think like Western man. It doesn't matter if they go to Oxford or not. If they were born and raised in that culture, they always will have that as a foundation for their morals. That is why the dictators and politicians in Africa are consistently corrupt and rob the country blind and punish their own countrymen of other tribes.

I will give you a tip. Substitute the word clan for tribe and you have just described Arabs.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Unphucking believable!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Hatari good post ..

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
[Linked Image]

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
What an Idiot, the writer is. He spent almost a year there and did not learn a thing. He obviously went there with an agenda, against farmers. Too bad a Lion didn't eat him !

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Stupid bloody Pom, the fool probably thought that the farmer spoke to his staff in their native harero to intimidate them...

These slimy bastards crawl from the gutters of some crapy British slum, Then go to Africa to "lord it" over the locals - like their ancestors did, when it all goes tits up, they blame the farmer for being racist - what a bloody wanker!

This where I come from - http://youtu.be/KJr9jvsXFN4
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Haven't heard the term Pom since I was in Zim. My PH referred to a bunch of limeys as Poms....I had to explain it to a dude from New Jersey...

Course you have to explain everything to folks from New Jersey...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

Actually he is somewhat correct...if the Africans didn't blindly hate the whites so much the place would still be run in a manner that would allow game and profit to proliferate.

As it is the ruling tribal nuts bend over backwards to get the Chinese in for a thorough raping and memorable pillaging.

The people at the bottom of the heap are still getting it in the neck.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
I suspect he is a good example of what is known as a educated idiot.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In response to article: Oh good grief!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JSTUART

Actually he is somewhat correct...if the Africans didn't blindly hate the whites so much the place would still be run in a manner that would allow game and profit to proliferate.

As it is the ruling tribal nuts bend over backwards to get the Chinese in for a thorough raping and memorable pillaging.

The people at the bottom of the heap are still getting it in the neck.

So true!

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by hatari

- he doesn't know how to farm

- he doesn't understand Africa

- he doesn't understand Africans, or how they think or how to manage them

It goes on and on and on. Africans are not Europeans and absolutely don't think like Western man. It doesn't matter if they go to Oxford or not. If they were born and raised in that culture, they always will have that as a foundation for their morals...

Sound Familiar ? ?

it doesn't stop at the African shores! ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For lack of a better word - heritage.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
next door neighbor spent 3 years in ZIM as a gyno Dr. in the bush. she got so disgusted with the people and the bleeding heart un people she came back.
said the UN blood drippers would come in and plant Maize for the villages that lived across a road from a river.
100 yards away. villagers would let the crop fail rather then carry water to it, or figure out how to get water to it.
of course the UN idiots didn't think that far ahead.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

189 members (300jimmy, 12344mag, 22kHornet, 10Glocks, 257 roberts, 2UP, 22 invisible), 2,234 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,281
Posts18,467,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.