Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
I
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I
My wife just got an offer to subscribe to Field and Stream for a year for $8.00 "Senior Discount."

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
BP-B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
All print media is hurting since this internet came out.

Here in CT a cities newspaper building is for sale. There is no paperboy.

I used to subscribe to mag's like Rifle, Handloader and before that to Outdoor Life, Field and Stream etc. along with 'Sail' for boating and Road and Track etc for cars.

The Rifleman and Am. Hunter still come with the NRA memberships.

We can do a search on the net for what we are interested in.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guns And Ammo, $6.00/year $.50/issue...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Shades of the mid '60's off the magazine rack at the "Tote Sum" quick stop.

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Things are a little tougher in the magazine business these days, but the largest circulation magazines (such as F&S and G&A) have offered very cheap subscriptions for many years. They make a large part of their money on advertising, and ad rates increase with circulation.

Which is why smaller magazines normally charge a lot more for subscriptions: They don't make as much on advertising, so depend more on subscription income, plus selling individual copies in stores.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R

About 10 times what it's worth, to my notions. It hasn't been worth a dime since Cooper left the first time. Last time I read one, they did something called "shooter's impressions" and had four or five of their staff writers write glowing reports on what was clearly a hunkajunk.

That was the last time I even looked at one.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Savage_99
... The Rifleman and Am. Hunter still come with the NRA memberships...

Three renewals back, I got brave and did it online. In a clever attempt to catch people who didn't read the whole form, the default choice for the magazine subscription was to get the bleeping, damned online version. If you wanted a for-real, honest-to-God magazine, you had to change the choice. This I did, but then messed up something on the form and had to begin again. Lacking in basic intelligence, I thought that previous information (the choice of a magazine) would stay the same. Of course, I was wrong. In the two renewals since, filled out on paper at gun shows, I have indicated my desire for a magazine to hold in my hands. I continue to receive the bleeping, damned online version.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The bargain of the year, though, has to be getting the .pdf version of Rifle, Successful Hunter and Handloader for $14.95 a year!

I keep my copies on my laptop's hard drive and never have to worry about the magazines stacking up in the corner. Plus, I can take a break from work any time I want and open up a copy from 3 years ago!

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing -- Edmund Burke
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Get those bargain offers every week. Sometimes I bite, but I seldom renew.
Too little of the content is of interest to me anymore. JB is all over, and his stuff is always good, but even he can't carry an entire magazine. Unless I'm careful, I blow through a typical monthly in about 15 minutes. Rifle takes longer, because I stretch it out. Handloader seems to be the meatiest, and if forced to choose just one, it would be that one. I also look forward to the Hodgdon annual.

One good thing about the Hodgdon annual is that you can compare test results from real guns in the articles with the test barrel figures in the data section.

What fresh Hell is this?
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
czech1022,

Yeah, the on-line subscriptions are a good deal for the smaller magazines that tend to charge more for subscriptions. They're a LOT cheaper because the company doesn't have to pay for printing or snail-mailing.

Another very good bargain is GUNS magazine, which doesn't charge anything for on-line copies. They just post them every month on their website.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It seems like any more there's about 3-4 articles and the rest is pure advertising. You shouldn't have to turn 20 pages to get to the first article. The field reports are interesting to read, but one has to wonder to what degree they are pandering to their advertisers.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I must be in the minority. I currently subscribe to FS, OL, Rifle, Hand Loader, Peterson's, Successful Hunter, and Sports Afield...plus the NRA rag. Honestly I enjoy all of them. I think Petzal in particular is a brilliant writer and thoroughly enjoyable to read...though I don't always agree with him. JB is fantastic of course. One writer i truly miss is Jim Carmicheal from OL. He was great...the new guy isn't bad either.

I also enjoyed reading Greg Rodriguez immensely and very sad to hear of his murder.

-Joe-

The "Anti-Tactical"

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

Articles like this may be why readers have left the magazines...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Not to mention credibility being in theshitter. Everything they test is better than everything they tested on the previous article, then it will change again.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I subscribe to a few outdoor/hunting mags.

The part I hate the most is that you can't get an honest review anymore. Because these writers are getting the equipment for free, and they don't want to get cutoff, they give glowing reviews.

While a few will still give an honest, or close to honest review, most are just doing it for the "freebies".

JMHO

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I won't say that never happens, but I doubt it's widespread. Many times I've read reviews where the writer closes by saying they liked something enough to send a check instead or returning the gun, and since the guns are used, they may well get a deal on price, but that ain't free. If you're reading stuff that's obviously biased or misses obvious faults, you need to find some better magazines.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Shrapnel,

I remember that article! Circa 2001?

I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Owl,

In my experience, "freebies" in non-expendable stuff like firearms and optics were far more common before Barack Obama became the greatest-ever salesman for the shooting industry. Nowadays manufacturers don't have to be that generous, because shooters are still buying LOTS of stuff, and that will continue if a Democrat is elected president this fall.

Instead, some (but not all) magazines run very favorable reviews of equipment because it's harder to sell advertising these days, thanks to the impetus Obama has provided to the entire industry. So some magazines run favorable reviews to entice manufacturers to continue advertising.

As far as expendable items like ammo, bullets and powder, manufacturers will provide free samples IF they have any. For a while it's been a crapshoot whether even they will have any on hand, the reason some gun writers (especially those who do it for most or all of their living) have been buying ammo, powder, bullets, etc. over the past few years, "hoarding" it to be sure they can have some on hand when they need it for an assignment.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Now I know where all the TAC and Big Game is...............(grin).

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bellydeep
Shrapnel,

I remember that article! Circa 2001?

This is the cover in October 1995, and Carmichael was a clown to have written it and the editors were worse for not catching the huge mistakes...

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
173 members (12344mag, 257robertsimp, 160user, 257 mag, 10Glocks, 2UP, 15 invisible), 1,846 guests, and 854 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,728
Posts18,400,783
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.