Print Thread
Hop To
B
Bitter Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Well with states starting to release draws, looks like I will have a unit 27 early archery bull tag from Arizona!! Cant wait, for Sept 16th to get here. Havent hunted that unit before, though cant wait to get a crack at it. Should be good rut activity with the later dates this year for archery, though the rifle hunt prior will probably push them around some. I have been looking over google maps, and other maps trying to pin point some areas I want to check out. Hoping to get up there a dozen times or so prior to learn the land a little. Hopefully later in summer can get some bulls on trail cameras too. I know the Wallow fire changed the landscape a bunch, though hear its getting somewhat back to the way it was. As far as elk patterns and such, though it will take a long time to recover Im guessing.

Has anyone hunted this unit either early rifle or bow before? Any pointers? I know it rough country, and that is just fine with me. I can also trade some info for coues deer if anyone is interested? Like I said I got several spots already picked out I want to check out, though wont turn down first hand knowledge.

Hopefully the draws in NM and CO go in your favor! Dont forget about NV!

GB1

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Well with a news like that you would think that might change your profile name grin . Any other draws did you get?

B
Bitter Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Smallfry,

Still waiting on NM results (Put in for Elk, Auodad and Ibex). I put in for BP's in UT just building points there. Ended up putting in for PP's in CO since I drew a elk tag in AZ. Waiting on WY Mt. Goat draw, and just put in for NV. I ended up tagging out on a 105" Coues deer in January so come AZ deer draw I will just be getting a BP.

How about you? Lmao, my profile name is my name 😛

Good luck to everyone in the draws.

Last edited by Bitter; 04/17/16.
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Always best to have previous year's rut activity knowledge for a unit. Bulls leave their home turf to be with cows and often cows congregate on ground that seldom sees elk except the rut.

Don't scout bulls... scout country and cows, feeding, water and bedding. Have to have all three.

Good luck.

Kent

B
Bitter Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Kent,

Thanks for the info! Im trying to talk to anyone who has hunted that unit during the early season last year or even years before to gain some knowledge. I found some areas on google earth that look good for bedding/feed/water, though I want to get boots on ground to verify what Im seeing on google.

IC B2

Owl Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats Kent !

James Pepper: There's no law west of Dodge and no God west of the Pecos. Right, Mr. Chisum? John Chisum: Wrong, Mr. Pepper. Because no matter where people go, sooner or later there's the law. And sooner or later they find God's already been there.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bitter: Good for you and good luck come fall!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dude, that tag is the Grail.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Was just there for the late rifle hunt with my son back in late November. I don't know much about how to hunt the rut, but I can tell you which roads and areas they were getting bulls from. Shoot me a PM.

B
Bitter Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
MuskegMan, sent you a PM! Thanks

IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

105 members (7mm_Loco, 007FJ, Algotguns, 10gaugemag, 35, Akhutr, 9 invisible), 1,516 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,564
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.