Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I am not a fan of muzzle brakes. I don't own any. But I have a few grand into a 300 Ultra Mag that kicks my fhphucking azz. I've never been Bit til last week. I didn't think I was cut til I felt the trickle down my nose.

I've had 375 Ultra, 375 Ruger and lots of 338s. But this rifle/stock combo is brutal. It's a custom lefty so I'm in it too deep to trip it

It's a Pac Nor #4. So I think it mic's .650 or so at the muzzle. I've not found a brake this diameter.

Is it possible ? I really don't want a bulbous wart on the end of my barrel. But not many options left other than stick it back in the safe again.

Last edited by Jesse Jaymes; 04/17/16.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

T
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
A radial hole brake with small holes could be turned down that far, look at Rifles Inc brakes for examples. The problem is that with less surface area for gas to act upon they aren't as effective as a larger diameter brake, would probably still be better than MagnaPort.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Contact Nathan at muzzlebrakesandmore.com he makes a four port brake that can be turned down to .700 and then tapered in. Here is one I installed on a 300wby with a .630" barrel @ 26"

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Very effective brakes, can shoot it one handed off the bench now and watch hits.

Last edited by Danny1788; 04/17/16.
S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Well I have to say it. That looks like a field piece; the very bulbous affair the OP wanted to avoid.

I hate brakes, I hate the way they look and doubly hate the way they sound.

The OP has hit the nail on the head. Poor stock design. I once had a 416 Rem that was miserable to shoot. I was done shooting it after the three shots, but to be honest was flinching on that shot already. I put it in a custom, Classic style stock of dense English walnut and it was a huge improvement.

Try finding a scope with a whole lot of eye relief and mount that thing as far forward as needed or make it a "safe queen" until the economic situation of having that gun sitting vs recouping some of the loss by selling the stock or keeping that stock for a softer kicking custom in the future materializes.

My opinion is just like everyone's. We all have one and everybody else's stinks worse than mine. Free too by the way.

PA Bear Hunter, NRA Benefactor Member
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
High Tech Customs in Colorado will match your barrel contour with his brakes ...I have a couple !

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Danny1788,

That really looks nice.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Jesse Jaymes,

If you get a brake, make sure you tell the 'smith to make the inner hole, where the bullet travels, only .010" - .015" larger than the bullet. I have a recoil slide and occasionally do recoil testing. Also with ports angled to the rear they work better than when the ports are perpendicular to the barrel.

I use electronic hearing protectors when I'm hunting. Not because I use brakes, but because I'm old and don't hear as well as I used to. But I really like the idea they turn off at the shot.

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
It is no problem to make a brake at .650 diameter. The only issue, if one wants a perfect match at the muzzle, is for the gunsmith to ensure that the threads, hence , the bore, is concentric with the bore of the barrel while the outside is concentric with the outside of the barrel. The two are not always the same. In fact, they are seldom the same. The ideal is, of course, to install the brake, turn it as close as possible, then polish it and the barrel together and bead blast (if stainless) or blue afterwards. If a thread protector is desired for when the brake is not used, it can also be matched to the barrel OD and should be made to approximate the weight of the brake. This minimizes POI sfift with/without the brake. I like to make the brake with a bit of an expansion chamber which, in the case of a .650 brake, would be about 3/8" diameter. GD

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I am not a fan of muzzle brakes. I don't own any. But I have a few grand into a 300 Ultra Mag that kicks my fhphucking azz. I've never been Bit til last week. I didn't think I was cut til I felt the trickle down my nose.

I've had 375 Ultra, 375 Ruger and lots of 338s. But this rifle/stock combo is brutal. It's a custom lefty so I'm in it too deep to trip it

It's a Pac Nor #4. So I think it mic's .650 or so at the muzzle. I've not found a brake this diameter.

Is it possible ? I really don't want a bulbous wart on the end of my barrel. But not many options left other than stick it back in the safe again.
I use these most often:

http://www.kdfguns.com/KDF%20MB%20Layout.html

These can be easily blended in to your muzzle diameter and do a very good job.. Also, they can be removable and replaced with a threaded cap. I've been installing these for years now..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Williams Gunsight has a brake that is barrel contour.

[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Pictures are from a post on the Nosler Reloading forum. Poster says it works well on a .338UM

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Mitch that looks EXACTLY like what I would want. No ports on the bottom and the slots usually get much better reviews than simple holes.

I'll look into that one.

And thanks to the other poster for realizing I did in fact NOT want a brake larger than the barrel diameter and tapered to fit

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
By the way,
Last week I was shooting a .570 diameter brake on a 30-338 I made and it was effective and as attractive as a brake can be so .650 is certainly no problem. GD

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Williams says the above brake is the Tactical brake and is not available in small diameter.

Got transfered 4 times and nobody really cared to answer the questions very well.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I made a similar brake but with only four gills, biased toward the top, and two holes in the top. This was for a Steyr 30/06 which I had turned down to .560 at the muzzle and the owner learned that light rifles buck a bit more. Anyway, it worked fine.
Did another integral to the barrel and made with a sleeve which could be inserted to turn it "off". Again, both built with an expansion chamber with the latter having a plug threaded into the end to produce the restriction at the front or which could be removed and replaced with the sleeve.
There are a ton of gunsmiths, and probably in your area (Eastern Washington, North Idaho, western Montana), who could easily make what you want. GD

Last edited by greydog; 04/18/16.
A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Look at the Vais brakes!

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I made a small mini slimed down to barrel diameter..installed on my 300 wby...works great....you won't find a remade one I know of...any one with a lathe and some basic skill can do it..

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Here is the same exact brake I installed on my brothers 270wsm #4 barrel.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Its pretty "bulbous" looking on a #4? These brakes work way better then a vais or drilled hole brake. Plus they are half the cost.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Looks much better there.

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
But my muzzle for certain mic's .650". I'd really like to get it down to match. Most of the reports of brakes similar to the one above are very very good. That's the style I want. No bottom holes, and slots.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just got another from Nathan that was .670" in 7mm.

.670-.650=.020/2 that's only .010" each side could blend that in easy and never even notice it. Just give Nathan a call he's an awesome guy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

690 members (16Racing, 007FJ, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 1234, 66 invisible), 2,976 guests, and 1,332 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,578
Posts18,454,049
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.