Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
I took one for a test drive yesterday and am really considering this truck. The particular model I drove had the 5.0 V8, I had to look at the dash to see that the engine was running it was that quiet. Driving it on the highway and around town was very impressive.

All the trucks on the lot were way more loaded then what I needed so I will have to most likely order it . I love my 2014 Tacoma but for road trips there is no comparison.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 2014 F150 Supercrew 4X4 with the 5.0 and really like it. It's my second as I owned a 2012 as well. My '14 has about 41K miles on it with no issues. I use it to tow my boat, camper, and horse trailer and it never complains. This is a recent road trip:

[Linked Image]

Mercy ceases to be a virtue when it enables further injustice. -Brent Weeks

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I've been researching the F-150 Supercrews. Go to you tube and there are hundreds of videos comparing various vehicles. If you don't tow more than 6000-7000lbs the new 2.7L turbo will get 23+mpg hwy and will out run all other engines. It is also cheaper to buy.

The 3.5 turbo will tow the most weight 10,000-11,500 and still get 22 MPG hwy. It is the most expensive option.

The 5.0 is rated at either 19 or 21 MPG depending on the rear axle. It will tow 8,000-10,000 lbs depending on the axle ratio. It is the mid-priced engine and the slowest.

A lot of people feel it is the safer bet long term. Lots of folks are still concerned about the small V-6 turbos in the long run. I've gotta admit that is in the back of my mind too. But on the other hand the 3.5 has been around since 2011 and I'm not aware of any problems.

I've been looking at 2012-2014's but so far none are priced enough cheaper than a new one to justify buying used. I really can't justify a new one right now and unless a screaming deal just pops up on a used one I may wait another year and buy a 2017. Or look for a good deal on a 2016 after the 17's hit the lots.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by JMR40
I've been researching the F-150 Supercrews. Go to you tube and there are hundreds of videos comparing various vehicles. If you don't tow more than 6000-7000lbs the new 2.7L turbo will get 23+mpg hwy and will out run all other engines. It is also cheaper to buy.

The 3.5 turbo will tow the most weight 10,000-11,500 and still get 22 MPG hwy. It is the most expensive option.

The 5.0 is rated at either 19 or 21 MPG depending on the rear axle. It will tow 8,000-10,000 lbs depending on the axle ratio. It is the mid-priced engine and the slowest.

A lot of people feel it is the safer bet long term. Lots of folks are still concerned about the small V-6 turbos in the long run. I've gotta admit that is in the back of my mind too. But on the other hand the 3.5 has been around since 2011 and I'm not aware of any problems.

I've been looking at 2012-2014's but so far none are priced enough cheaper than a new one to justify buying used. I really can't justify a new one right now and unless a screaming deal just pops up on a used one I may wait another year and buy a 2017. Or look for a good deal on a 2016 after the 17's hit the lots.

Yes you are correct on all counts. I am a little leery of the turbos and the V8 is a proven design . They are really trying to push the 2.7 but I don[t know it still has a lot of power but that small an engine in a truck that big somehow doesn't make sense. I am looking at 2015 certified and not even worth the trouble since I save so little. I am going to stay with my Tacoma and maybe another year down the road I will look at them again. I am very impressed with them .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The new Ford F-150 isn't just the most advanced full sized truck on the market, it's now rated as the safest!

Ford has gained a big advantage in one of the most competitive segments in the auto industry.

The company's F-150 SuperCab was the only one of nine pickup trucks tested by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety to earn a "good" rating on an influential new crash test. The vehicle joins its SuperCrew sibling as the only large pickups to earn the organization's "Top Safety Pick" award when equipped with a collision warning system.

"Ford is leading the way among large pickup manufacturers when it comes to protecting people in a range of crashes and offering technology to warn drivers of imminent frontal crashes," said Raul Arbelaez, vice president of the IIHS Vehicle Research Center.

This is the first time the overall pickup class has been put through the new small-front overlap test, which evaluates how vehicles withstand crashes in which their front quarters strike a fixed object. Except for the F-150, all the pickups allowed moderate to severe intrusion of vehicle structure into the cabin, putting occupants at risk for injuries.

This is the first time the overall pickup class has been put through the new small-front overlap test, which evaluates how vehicles withstand crashes in which their front quarters strike a fixed object. Except for the F-150, all the pickups allowed moderate to severe intrusion of vehicle structure into the cabin, putting occupants at risk for injuries.

[Linked Image]

Click Here for the Complete Article.

IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Pulled the plug and now own a SuperCrew F150 XLT with the 3.5 ecoboost. DID I tell you I absolutely love this [bleep] truck?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Is the F-140 even crappier than the F-150?

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by K1500

Still miles better then the Chebby POS you drive.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by K1500

It would take a hellova lot of more crappy to equal the best GM. Chevy plain sucks ass. I had an 04 and it was enough to swear me off them for life.

Camp is where you make it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
Pulled the plug and now own a SuperCrew F150 XLT with the 3.5 ecoboost. DID I tell you I absolutely love this [bleep] truck?

Congrats.

I believe I've owned around 17 different trucks over the past 25 years, some of them I still have.
Out of 17 trucks, only one was a chevy. The rest were all fords.

The only one that ever pissed me off was the chevy.

To be fair, the chevy was consistent.

It pissed me off every single time I drove or at least tried to drive it.

Something clever here.

IC B3

O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Congrats.

I believe I've owned around 17 different trucks over the past 25 years, some of them I still have.

Thanks, tried out a lot of trucks , this one felt better then the others.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I will be looking for another truck this fall. I have been a Chevy fan for years, but my 04 has left me, well less than impressed. Counting the original, it is on its third water pump I only have 95,000 miles on it. It has seemed a little under powered and a bit to thirsty. Granted the tires on it now are 285s and not 265s like from the factory. I did put dual exhaust and a different cold air intake on it. That helped the power out a lot, enough to make up for the power loss of the bigger tires.

I was thinking (cough, cough) Ford, but some guys I talk to tell me the twin turbos are trouble after 50000 miles. Something about blowing spark plugs. One guy said that is why he stayed with the 5.0, it has a proven track record. I would like to find a lower milage 5.4 though, 2010 or newer.

I like the idea of the HEMI, but, well it's a Dodge. Like one guy said to me; even the sign says stay away. Some guys said they have transmission issues and electrical issues. I don't know, because there are an awful lot of them on the road.

That leaves Nissan and Toyota. I hear good things about them, except for their gas milage.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
i'm going on a year and a half and 18k miles on my '15 f250 with no problems yet. the only issue i have with it is that it seems less than "super duty". the doors feel tinny when you slam them. it has the 6.8 gasser and has plenty of power but only gets about 11-12 mpg around town.

my last truck was a dodge 1500 and it was an unbelievable POS. never again.

My diploma is a DD214
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
We made the switch from long-time GM owners to Ford. Bought my wife a new Ford Explorer with the 3.5 turbo and it's really, really nice. She picked it over Cadillacs and Lincolns she test drove.

I have a 2007 Dodge 2500 but it's only for the Cummins.

Bob
Enjoy life now -- it has an expiration date.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by viking
I will be looking for another truck this fall. I have been a Chevy fan for years, but my 04 has left me, well less than impressed. Counting the original, it is on its third water pump I only have 95,000 miles on it. It has seemed a little under powered and a bit to thirsty. Granted the tires on it now are 285s and not 265s like from the factory. I did put dual exhaust and a different cold air intake on it. That helped the power out a lot, enough to make up for the power loss of the bigger tires.

I was thinking (cough, cough) Ford, but some guys I talk to tell me the twin turbos are trouble after 50000 miles. Something about blowing spark plugs. One guy said that is why he stayed with the 5.0, it has a proven track record. I would like to find a lower milage 5.4 though, 2010 or newer.

I like the idea of the HEMI, but, well it's a Dodge. Like one guy said to me; even the sign says stay away. Some guys said they have transmission issues and electrical issues. I don't know, because there are an awful lot of them on the road.

That leaves Nissan and Toyota. I hear good things about them, except for their gas milage.

Spoke to numerous owners and not one problem at all with turbos. The local dealer assistant sales manager has owned 3 with no issues as well. Toyota is a nice reliable truck but gas mileage is atrocious , The Nissan no thanks and you could not give me a GM anything I have driven every single one of them except the Ram.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave

Congrats.

You can get a lemon in every brand. I've heard of more Ford lemons than Chevy's by far.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by viking

I'll tell ya what. I have a 2014 Ram 1500. I bought it strictly based on price. As of today it has 65,513 miles on it and I've had exactly ZERO issues. Not one.

Never had a vehicle that did that before.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Rooster7

You can get a lemon in every brand. I've heard of more Ford lemons than Chevy's by far.

Pfffffft. Cracker Please.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by tzone
Originally Posted by Rooster7

Pfffffft. Cracker Please.

True starry brah

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
In 2001 I bought my wife a Tahoe. It was nice on the road, but the trans wouldn't stop shifting around in and out of OD, whether in CC or not, flat road, a/c off, etc. I took it back to the dealer so many times they bought it back. I purchased an ext cab 1500 z71 "off road" package. Disappointing in every way except on pavement, unloaded. I don't think we had it more than four months tops and I dumped it and bought an Ford with the 7.3l diesel. Still have it.

Prior to this we'd had quite a few different cars, several pick-ups, mostly Ford f150s, one '96 Dodge Cummins. That Dodge had a great running gear set up with the 5.9l, a NV4500 5 speed, xfer case was a 242 I believe, and a D60 front,D70 rear. If the body hadn't started coming apart I'd have kept it. In fact if I found a rolled one I'd be tempted to buy it salvage and put an old school iron body on it.

I guess Chevy makes a decent car weather it comes with a cargo box or not, Ford makes a real pick-up. Dodge ... well I don't think I'll ever buy another one.

Toyota's are solid but poor fuel mileage.

“You never need fear a man, no matter what his size. When danger threatens, call on me, and I will equalize.”
Samuel Colt.

�Common sense is genius dressed up in work clothes.� - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

461 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 160user, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 45 invisible), 2,108 guests, and 1,147 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,603
Posts18,454,762
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.