Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
As stated in a previous post, Featherweight rifles were chambered in .358 Win. with no issues that I am aware of. I've never heard of a US rebore firm that reproofs their work, European standards are different. In either case I cannot see the need for reproofing except to meet European regulations.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

About 10 years ago, I found an unusual 35 Whelen in a shop in Idaho.
It was a rebored/re-rifled and re-chambered 1950s M-70 with a stock
that was a dead ringer for a Super Grade with ebony forend tip.

The shop owner said it was guaranteed to be accurate, or send it back.
He siled and said: You won't be sending it back." He was right.

Also have an old beat up transition Model 70 in 338-06.
Now that is a cartridge that should have been brought out of wilcat class. Accurate with 338 210 Noslers.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena-not the critic"-T. Roosevelt
There are no atheists in fox holes or in the open doors of a para's aircraft.....
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Slavek
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by reelman
I don't see the value here. It's not factory according to the description and invoice shown. Let's see a picture of the barrel markings? IMO it's worth a little more than if you did the conversion today just because it is an old conversion and comes from the Whelen shop. $2000 - $2500 is my thoughts.

I think it's worth what you can pay for a standard grade 30-06 and then the extra work to have JES rebore it for you. For me, that would look something like this:

$675.00
+$250.00

Total: $925.00.... Pretty easy..

Quite a bit of metal would be removed from the barrel. Does JES reproof the gun after the job is completed? Being done in USA I assume no. Doesn't sound like smart idea to me. In Europe gun undergoing such modification would need to be submitted to proof house to make sure it is safe to use. I would use that standard if I were you.

Slavek, why don't you take up golf or some other hobby? Here's an idea. Give JES a call and tell them you think they are stupid... whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 450Fuller

Now that is a cartridge that should have been brought out of wilcat class. Accurate with 338 210 Noslers.

Good post. There's always that option too. 338-06 has a lot of cool factor, as does the ol Whelen. Hard to go wrong with either one.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 450Fuller

Good post. There's always that option too. 338-06 has a lot of cool factor, as does the ol Whelen. Hard to go wrong with either one.

I recommend something with even more cool factor. This would be very proven .318 Accelerated Express aka .318 Rimless Nitro Express Westley Richards.

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Here's a question, can you rebore a Pre 64 fwt 30-06 to 35 whelen??????? I know where one is for $675.00. It could be up for grabs to anyone here. Pretty good deal. The only negatives I saw with the rifle was an added recoil pad (who would have thunk) and a jeweled bolt...... That would be kind of cool. A 35 whelen fwt.. Hmmm..

That is my plan when I find the right P64, which that Featherweight sounds like it is.. I have a M700 CDL 35 Whelen. Great shooting rifle, but unless I spend the money to put a 3 pos safety on it and probably a better extractor and likely a trigger, I probably won't ever be 100% happy with the rifle.

JES does great work with his rebores. Rebored a Classic 338 Win Mag to a 35 Newton, it is plenty accurate for a hard hitting .358..

Semper Fi
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The rifle discussed is sold, but if you look at his other guns, they are all priced at the absolute maximum.

If you sign up for Proxibid, you can find any of them at major auctions for less. (if you a patient)

Given the numbers of faked rare model 70s (and other Winchesters) in circulation, anything "odd" is suspect.

Quality rebores work just fine and the 35 W is a great cast bullet cartridge as are any of the 9.3s.

I have an early Ruger 1B rebored from 06' to 35 W. With full house jacketed bullet loads it is a handful.
Wouldn't even want to think of the later, lighter 1S in this chambering !

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by beretzs
Here's a question, can you rebore a Pre 64 fwt 30-06 to 35 whelen??????? I know where one is for $675.00. It could be up for grabs to anyone here. Pretty good deal. The only negatives I saw with the rifle was an added recoil pad (who would have thunk) and a jeweled bolt...... That would be kind of cool. A 35 whelen fwt.. Hmmm..

That is my plan when I find the right P64, which that Featherweight sounds like it is.. I have a M700 CDL 35 Whelen. Great shooting rifle, but unless I spend the money to put a 3 pos safety on it and probably a better extractor and likely a trigger, I probably won't ever be 100% happy with the rifle.

JES does great work with his rebores. Rebored a Classic 338 Win Mag to a 35 Newton, it is plenty accurate for a hard hitting .358..

Scotty, PM me if you want to check on the fwt I found for $675.00... It's actually a pretty damn good buy..

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Does JES reproof the gun after the job is completed? Being done in USA I assume no. Doesn't sound like smart idea to me. In Europe gun undergoing such modification would need to be submitted to proof house to make sure it is safe to use. I would use that standard if I were you.

I recall a Gunsmith (Ray Montgomery in Grand Junction, CO) that had a "blue pill load" listed on his price sheet. For those that are too chicken (or too smart) to intentionally fire an overload in their rifle.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Twenty or so years ago when I built my M/70 Whelen i used a standard grade, were I to do it over I would choose a Featherweight. I recently picked up a pre'64 Featherweight that had been rebarreled in .257 Roberts using a Douglass premium barrel with featherweight contour. Why Winchester never offered the .257 in pre'64 Featherweight is a mystery to me. At least they did in the later Featherweight.

IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Twenty or so years ago when I built my M/70 Whelen i used a standard grade, were I to do it over I would choose a Featherweight. I recently picked up a pre'64 Featherweight that had been rebarreled in .257 Roberts using a Douglass premium barrel with featherweight contour. Why Winchester never offered the .257 in pre'64 Featherweight is a mystery to me. At least they did in the later Featherweight.

Sure enough. Lets go back in time and kick their azzes... laugh

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Instead of barreling Model 70 action I would look for used Remington 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. It is better handling rifle with just about perfectly designed factory stock. All you would need is to throw in Timney trigger. I should mention that bolt movement in Remington action can be made to work a lot smoother than in old Model 70. Why go through all that trouble with Winchester for no gain?

PS. Oops I forgot you would have to replace original solid rubber pad with something useful. The original has consistency of plastic butt place. Ask me how I know. cry

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Instead of barreling Model 70 action I would look for used Remington 700 Classic in .35 Whelen. It is better handling rifle with just about perfectly designed factory stock. All you would need is to throw in Timney trigger. I should mention that bolt movement in Remington action can be made to work a lot smoother than in old Model 70. Why go through all that trouble with Winchester for no gain?

PS. Oops I forgot you would have to replace original solid rubber pad with something useful. The original has consistency of plastic butt place. Ask me how I know. cry

Sir, have you ran many P64's? Just wondering cause when you say a Classic "handles" better and it it smoother I question how many rounds you've put through either. Nothing against 700's but they aren't even in the same ballpark as a mildly tuned up 70 as a hunting rifle.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Scotty, he has had some off the wall remarks. It often makes me wonder how his golf game is... Just sayin..

BSA MAGA
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

632 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 06hunter59, 69 invisible), 2,741 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,256
Posts18,467,037
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.