Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
What do you guys think of this one? Look at Steve Barnetts site. He has listed a M70 in 35 Whelan with supporting documentation from the company that did the work on an original Winchester. Did Winchester chamber the rifle? Can it be considered an original M70 in this chambering?

This is nothing I'm interested in. If I wanted a 35 Whelan (and I think it's a great cartridge) I could have one built for a third of what the asking price is on this. I saw it listed and it peeked my curiosity is all.

GB1

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine is built! Pre-64 Model 70. 23" Shillen Select Match. 1-12" twist.
Cerekoted midnight blue. McMillan Edge stock. Forester action screws.

[Linked Image]

Shoots 200gr Factory Federal Fusions very well. I'll switch to 200gr TTSX and RL15 after I shoot up the factory ammo.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I love it when they shoot like that... GSP post a link buddy. I don't have steve barnet on speed dial... I doubt anyone else does either.. wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
P
Winchester did not chamber a pre 64 M70 in 35 Whelen. Personally, I would consider it to be an overpriced custom....

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GSPfan
What do you guys think of this one? Look at Steve Barnetts site. He has listed a M70 in 35 Whelan with supporting documentation from the company that did the work on an original Winchester. Did Winchester chamber the rifle? Can it be considered an original M70 in this chambering?

This is nothing I'm interested in. If I wanted a 35 Whelan (and I think it's a great cartridge) I could have one built for a third of what the asking price is on this. I saw it listed and it peeked my curiosity is all.

No.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I built my .35 Whelen from a shot out .30-06 standard grade, Randall Redman did the rebore/rechamber more than 20 yrs. ago. It now has a pre'64 Super Grade stock and a Griffin & Howe mount with Lyman All American Perma Center 4x with LEE dot. It is my favorite deer rifle, it likes 225 gr. Sierra or Nosler bullets with IMR 4064 or RL-15 as propellant. When not deer hunting I shoot lots of cast bullet and pistol bullet loads, 15gr. of Unique behind a 200-210-215-225gr. cast bullet is an accurate fun load to shoot. Easy on the rifle, the shooter and his wallet.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
It would be simple to send a std. 30-06 to JES and have them rebore it to 35 Whelen for about $250.00. Just a thunk..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I don't see the value here. It's not factory according to the description and invoice shown. Let's see a picture of the barrel markings? IMO it's worth a little more than if you did the conversion today just because it is an old conversion and comes from the Whelen shop. $2000 - $2500 is my thoughts.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by reelman
I don't see the value here. It's not factory according to the description and invoice shown. Let's see a picture of the barrel markings? IMO it's worth a little more than if you did the conversion today just because it is an old conversion and comes from the Whelen shop. $2000 - $2500 is my thoughts.

I think it's worth what you can pay for a standard grade 30-06 and then the extra work to have JES rebore it for you. For me, that would look something like this:

$675.00
+$250.00

Total: $925.00.... Pretty easy..

BSA MAGA
G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
BSA you can search Barnetts fine guns and get the web site. I don't have a direct link. I'm of the same opinion as others here. glad I'm not missing something. If I were to have a 35 Whelan I'd just have one made for a third of the asking price of this one. IF it was priced around $2K that would be a different story.

Rather than re bore a 06 wouldn't be easier and about the same cost to just re barrel it?

Last edited by GSPfan; 04/18/16.
IC B3

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Cheaper to rebore in my opinion.. Turn around time with JES is very quick too.. I know some of you guys don't live as close as I do to them, but I could take a rifle to them and have it back in less than a week. If I had a smith re-barrel one of my rifles, it would cost a minimum of $150.00 and the barrel itself would cost about $400.00 for a good barrel.. There's also the fact that if you just have the std. wt. barrel rebored, you still have the use of the factory irons. Kind of a win win the way I see it. How much would it cost to buy a barrel, add iron sights and have your smith install it for you, vs. re-bore of about $250.00???

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Here's a question, can you rebore a Pre 64 fwt 30-06 to 35 whelen??????? I know where one is for $675.00. It could be up for grabs to anyone here. Pretty good deal. The only negatives I saw with the rifle was an added recoil pad (who would have thunk) and a jeweled bolt...... That would be kind of cool. A 35 whelen fwt.. Hmmm..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Here's a question, can you rebore a Pre 64 fwt 30-06 to 35 whelen??????? I know where one is for $675.00. It could be up for grabs to anyone here. Pretty good deal. The only negatives I saw with the rifle was an added recoil pad (who would have thunk) and a jeweled bolt...... That would be kind of cool. A 35 whelen fwt.. Hmmm..

I don't know why it couldn't be rebored, the outside diameter of all Featherweights were the same and they made them in 358 Winchester.

G
GSPfan Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I guess if I re barreled it I wouldn't put iron sights on it. I'm having a rifle being built now that will have iron sights just because of what it will be but that's the first one with them.

A 35 Whelan FWT....that would be awesome...at both ends:)
I like my 358 but not so much at the bench.

S
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
S

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

I don't know why it couldn't be rebored, the outside diameter of all Featherweights were the same and they made them in 358 Winchester.

That's exactly what I was thinking. Just wanted a little confirmation...

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I guess if I re barreled it I wouldn't put iron sights on it. I'm having a rifle being built now that will have iron sights just because of what it will be but that's the first one with them.

I like how you put that, "Awesome at both ends"... Ha ha.. laugh . It would probably make a handy little elk rifle though..

BSA MAGA
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R

It wouldn't be that bad on the back end. I have a 358 Featherweight that was re-chambered to 350 Rem Mag (basically a short action 35 Whelen) and a checkered steel butt plate on it. When you fire it you know it's thee but it's not bad at all.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Things that make you go hmmmmm....

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I think it's worth what you can pay for a standard grade 30-06 and then the extra work to have JES rebore it for you. For me, that would look something like this:

$675.00
+$250.00

Total: $925.00.... Pretty easy..

Quite a bit of metal would be removed from the barrel. Does JES reproof the gun after the job is completed? Being done in USA I assume no. Doesn't sound like smart idea to me. In Europe gun undergoing such modification would need to be submitted to proof house to make sure it is safe to use. I would use that standard if I were you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (160user, 11point, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1eyedmule, 54 invisible), 2,987 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,352
Posts18,468,867
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.