Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by ingwe
John...I really enjoyed that whole reduced load thing. As I said they were good out to 200 yards...shot flatter than I expected.

Didn't need earplugs, barrel didn't heat up near as quickly, killed gophs dead.

I will be doing lots more of it in the future!

A loser's philosophy on shooting. You load the cartridge to it's potential. If you need less, get less and shoot a Hornet. The inconsistency of someone that will shoot an AI, then download a cartridge, no wonder the youth of today is confused with that example...

You can't help yourself sometimes, can you?

You don't do it the way I do it, therefore you must be phouced up...

Kinda Big Stickish, don't you think?

Last edited by ingwe; 04/20/16.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Not really, just being cantrary, wishing it was me on Safari...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Great stories guys.. We a getting a few goths each day not as many as ingwe, but some. Mostly with the .222& .223. But have a .22, mag. And a hornet for those close shots. It is a beautiful day in the northern Rockies. Cold and snow down home. Please fishing and turkey hunting hunting next !

Molon Labe
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Not really, just being cantrary, wishing it was me on Safari...

BASTID!!!

I'll have you know I have provided a bad example for Americas youth....and it wasn't through the guns or ammo I was shooting..... whistle

I'm still mad at you for selling that Honda 350- before I could steal it out of your garage!

I don't know if this helps or not, but my reduced loads were shot through a slow twist...on a stainless action with a synthetic stock and a Burris scope....

ooooops!

I'm just digging a deeper hole, aren't I? blush

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by WyoCoyoteHunter
Great stories guys.. We a getting a few goths each day not as many as ingwe, but some. Mostly with the .222& .223. But have a .22, mag. And a hornet for those close shots. It is a beautiful day in the northern Rockies. Cold and snow down home. Please fishing and turkey hunting hunting next !

I was seriously thinking about shooting that one close-up goph with my Ruger Bisley .22 but then I thought nooooooo....I haven't done anything stoopid yet today.......

Au Revoir mirror.....

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ingwe: You got off cheap!
Last fall some out of state friends were taking myself and my wife out to dinner at a restaurant in Twin Bridges, Montana.
They offered to drive as well and off we went in their newish Honda family van.
On the way to the restaurant my friend asked me why there were no Pheasants around Dillon and I innocently replied "there are to many predators like Fox, Coyote, Skunks and such around Dillon but there were lots of Pheasants up here around Twin Bridges - the difference being more marshy areas around Twin Bridges for the Pheasants to nest and hide in".
Not 5 miles closer to Twin Bridges two Rooster Pheasants ran up out of the burrow pit and took flight.
One of them flew right into the passenger side electric remote mirror of that Honda and knocked it clean off!
The bill was just under $400.00!
They decided to pay it themselves as being city dwellers they had several other insurance "incidents" of recent.
Your are right - "Spring day on the Rocky Mountain Front: Priceless!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
VG , where did you dine in Twin Bridges?

Molon Labe
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I dunno where VG went but the Wagon wheel in Twin Bridges serves up a good breakfast and more than passable burger for lunch.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ingwe: Indeed the Wagon Wheel "usually" has excellent breakfast's and their lunch buffet with their homemade soup's (two types per day) and salad is VERY hard to beat.
WyoCoyotehunter: We ate just tonight at the "Old Hotel Restaurant" there in Twin Bridges and the Hawaiian owner and his wife serve gourmet type meals that are just flat outstanding.
Two of us tonight had the Mahi Mahi with hazelnut crust and rice with miso sauce and they both raved about that. My Gopher/Elk Hunting partner had rack of lamb with a dark sauce that was superb (I ate a small portion) and I had the 14 ounce (always on the small menu) Ribeye steak (that was just world class!) with Hollandaise sauce (paste!), asparagus and a dish of twice baked potatoes that I just inhaled!
Between courses our palates were refreshed with a homemade Blueberry sourbet that I wish had never ended!
(I don't sound like a Kansas City [bleep] do I?).
Also on the small menu was Cornish Game Hen roasted in a special sauce that the accompanying diners just raved about and another entree selection of a shrimp dish of which I forget the details.
Anyway this place is worth the dollars for dinner - they do a Sunday brunch but not breakfasts during the week - its right across the street from the Wagon Wheel by the way.
I have never had dinner at the Wagon Wheel though to date.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Will have to try that place if Im in Twin Bridges at suppertime!

IC B3

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
So this has migrated from Varmints to Dinner Discussions..

Well if that is the case, guess that makes up my mind for me... Texas Roadhouse tonight....

after I'm done loading some reduced loads for the 20 Practical with powder 'Steel'.... which is looking like an alternative for Blue Dot or 12.5 grains of IMR 4198...

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Thanks for the info. guys! We will have to check these out. My wife doesn't like eating out as much as I do. We just came through TB's, but she wanted to eat in camp, so here we are.

Molon Labe
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Have you been seeing any bunnies?

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Ingwe, a few around Dillon. I haven't been near Lovell since winter.. When we get that way, I will see what I can find out for you. Just before we left for this trip I spotted a coyote running in a bottom along a rocky ridge.. There were bunnies hopping all over to get out of his way.. Of course he wasn't worried about them, he wanted to get away with out getting shot.. Lots of bunnies there!

Molon Labe
ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
Thanks for the G2...Im PD shooting in about a month in a good bunny area so it oughta offer some insight too.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
You ever try bullets specifically made for the Hornet in your reduced loads? Supposed to expand more reliably at the lower velocities. I have a box or two of them waiting to try.

ingwe Online Content OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Online Content
Campfire Oracle
I have, but they didn't get shot at live targets. I can tell you unequivocally that I have had little trouble with expansion in a variety of bullets Ive tried.
Yes, I did have some 50 NBTs and 50 Vmaxes go through gophers and ricochet , but they damn sure killed the gophers, and were excessive on rabbits. The 55 grain Hornady soft point worked best on rabbit sized targets.
If it was nothing but non-edible gophers, a hornet bullet might be the shizz! laugh

I'll have to try some 50 SXs and 50 TNTs too....... whistle

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tom,

Back when they were real cheap and on sale ( on line) I bought about 4 or 5 thousand of the Winchester 46 grain HP...

its a round nose looking thing, with a big HP in the middle...

For the price I started using it in Blue Dot loads...

its meant for the Hornet.... it sure was accurate and also like hitting these sage rats with a Mini RPG....

Still have a ton of them....they still sell them.. If you're looking to unravel a gopher or sage rat, I'd recommend giving them a try...

Sierra's 40 grain HP was another one that did a good job of disassembling the little flea bitten rodents...

for those that are interested.... found a new alternative for Blue Dot if one can't find any.... and its suppose to be temp insensitive to boot...

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Doubled. blush

Last edited by Son_of_the_Gael; 04/24/16.

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Steel workin' for you Seafire?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
725 members (10gaugemag, 222ND, 222Sako, 16penny, 160user, 12344mag, 79 invisible), 2,717 guests, and 1,374 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,626
Posts18,398,690
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.