Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
One wolf wandered down to southern Oregon and found a mate. What's the odds in that happening? Alpinecrick is correct, let the state take control. Keep the friggn feds out of everything, states should have control.

GB1

C
C
Wolves are already in North Central Colorado.
2014 we were told that guys thought they heard them in archery season.

2015 a confirmed wolf was "mistakenly shot for a coyote"

Supposedly a rancher within a few miles of where we hunt shot 3 this spring that after his calves.

And I know what I saw this year in 4th season

Hopefully SSS will keep them from becoming an issue.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
They are bound and determined to turn Colorado's elk population into Yellowstone's. Of course then you won't need those nasty scoped sniper rifles.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
The elimination of hunting via wolf introduction is one possible theory. No game animals equals no need for hunters.
Where the hell did I put my tin foil hat?

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by shootbrownelk
The elimination of hunting via wolf introduction is one possible theory. No game animals equals no need for hunters.
Where the hell did I put my tin foil hat?
Its not a theory. The anti-hunting bunch said it themselves years ago. They printed it in one of their anti-hunting magazines and I read it. Ever since I've regretted not keeping that magazine but at the time I thought it was nonsense. Boy, was I wrong! It was one of their stated goals. It took them quite a few years to get their people in positions of power in the USFWS and Forest Svc but they got it done. The wolves in Id/MT/WY are the result.

It backfired to some extent because they never dreamed that the feds would ever allow wolf hunting and their pets becoming game animals themselves. In ID, for example, they set 150 breeding pairs as the limit for delisting. Then they tried to backtrack when that goal was met and have done everything they could to prevent delisting in spite of their 150 pair goal being met several times over.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Was the Mexican Grey wolf ever present in Colorado? Most of the maps show the historical ranges northern limit as central Arizona and New Mexico. It's quite possible their was an integrade area of Grey Wolves in Colorado.

Is it that these are the closest wolves available to what used to reside in Colo? Either way better the smaller Lobo than the huge northern variety of grey wolf.

"When you disarm the people, you commence to offend them and show that you distrust them either through cowardice or lack of confidence, and both of these opinions generate hatred." Niccolo Machiavelli
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've seen some news reports shorten 'Mexican Gray Wolf' to 'Grey Wolf'.
I honestly haven't followed it closely but isn't there an enormous difference in the meaning there?

R
R
Originally Posted by CoElk101
S.S.S

That's the answer. Just don't wait till it's too late like Mt.,Id, and probably Or., Wa. F&G won't act until it's too late. The funny thing is people continue to support the nonsense buy buying hunting license's to hunt a decimated elk herd. Sickening. I like ss (Shoot and shutup) Don't waste time finding the vermin as they don't deserve a burial and it is a good way to get caught by someone who hears a shot and gets nosy.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ricknmontana
Originally Posted by CoElk101
S.S.S

it is a good way to get caught by someone who hears a shot and gets nosy.

Well then,....... S.S.S.S.

Shoot. Suppressed. Shovel. Shut-up........

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Rock Chuck is 100% correct t its not that they love Wolves its that they hate hunting. The goal is to reduce hunting period. Good luck trying to stop it now its like trying to stop a avalanche with your hands. Its so frustrating

Last edited by ehunter; 01/24/16.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You won't stop the federal introduction. The best you can do is work to get them off the endangered list so the state fish & game people can take over management. That's what ID did and now we can hunt them.

― George Orwell

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You won't stop the federal introduction.

It's been stopped.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They'll be back. The anti's have unlimited funds and a lot of ears to bend in high places.

― George Orwell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
You won't stop the federal introduction.

It's been stopped.

The feds asked NM Game and Fish Commission for a permit to add ten additional Mexican wolves from captive breeding facilities into the wild. The commission denied both the original request and the subsequent appeal. However Sherri Barrett, the recovery coordinator, said that although the feds are required to consult with the states, they have the authority to proceed without the state's cooperation.

From a recent article in the online edition of Science Magazine;

Federal policy requires FWS to consult state agencies and comply with their permitting processes when releasing endangered animals from captivity, even when releases are made on federal land. But there’s one exception: If a state agency prevents the service from fulfilling its statutory responsibilities, the feds can go over the state’s head.

Last edited by mudhen; 01/25/16.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Seems like if the feds wanted to force it in CO, they'd have already done so.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They have to get NM and AZ "straightened out" first...

Ben

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The whole thing is a response to a concerted effort on the part of the enviros to enlarge the projected occupied range in the upcoming recovery plan. So far, the northern boundary is I-40 in north-central Arizona and New Mexico.

The two big sticking points now between the enviros and the biologists are (1) the size at which the Mexican wolf will be deemed "recovered" (the enviros are advocating for 1,300 wolves) and the extent of the occupied range (the enviros want to include all of New Mexico and Arizona, as well as southwestern Colorado and southern Utah).

The feds will not take a formal position until a draft recovery plan is submitted for public comment. However, there is no point in not making your desires known to your elected representatives--federal, state. and local.

Ben

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It looks to me like they are saying that if they make their way here on their own then OK but there will be no introduction of them.

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Commission/policy_procedures/PWC_Resolution_Wolves_in_Colorado.pdf

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yup, and that has been the position for the last few years.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I am thinking when the first one of these is dragged away by a wolf...
[Linked Image]

The kids of course...

NRA Life Member
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 1eyedmule, 69 invisible), 2,507 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,683
Posts18,456,326
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.