Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
learning experience with this new rocklock I've had now for about a month! Having problems with ignition has been a real 'bugaboo' but maybe my luck has changed for the good! The weather here HAS NOT been conducive to shooting for the past 30 days as we've gone through flood conditions locally and one rain right after another; better than 90% RH for days on end with no sunshine! Was overcast here today with no wind much so I took the flinter out and discovered that this rifle likes VERY LITTLE powder in the pan....and I mean VERY LITTLE! I fired eight shots this afternoon as I had to make my grandsons baseball game. Shooting the standard issue Hawken sights, I've been exploring just what kind of sight picture to use and I think I've got this Dude figured out. I was taking a slightly too fine front bead down in the notch and even though I've cut the front sight way down....I didn't want to take it any lower. The shot down at 6 o/clock was the fine bead and it hit right where I was holding. I altered the sight picture a bit by seeing more of the front sight and the second shot was the one at 12 o/clock. For the next three shots I changed the sight picture again and got the three hits at the 3 o/clock position. Tapping the front sight to the right a tat....I fired the last three and they went to center. This was shot from 60 yards.

[Linked Image]Untitled by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

Even birds know not to land downwind!
BP-B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That is looking GOOD.

If you haven't done so already, chuck up a small felt bob in a Foredom or Dremel tool, and POLISH your flash pan mirror bright.
I'm not sure just why, but it will sure help with ignition reliability.
I've had several turn up with the flash holes bored to LOW, e.g. right down at the very bottom of the pan.
Plugging the original, and raising the flash hole a bit, seems to really help.

I kinda think that overcharging the flash pan creates a situation where all of the O2 in the vicinity of the flashole is consumed.

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Nice...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I've been told the vent on this one is OK:

[Linked Image]vent by Rick Mulhern, on Flickr

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
That vent looks perfect. Have you experimented with the flint being bevel down? When the flint is all the way forward does it point directly into the pan? Just a couple of suggestions that hopefully might help with making consistent smoke. smile

Leave the gun, take the canolis.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
That vent looks perfect.

it does so

GTC

-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Guys...what I have 'discovered'....is this rifle likes a VERY SMALL amount of BP in the pan! About 1/2 the width/height of your little pinky nail!!

I heard an old timer tell a fellow once...."Son...wet your fore finger off your tongue....touch a bit of powder and put it into the pan....and it'll fire!

Maybe he knew what he was talking about!

Cross

Have you got a 'home' for that rifle you've been working on??

Last edited by Sharpsman; 04/21/16.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

The location of that flash hole could not be better, somebody damn sure knew what they were doing.

REAL honest to God FFFFG is a rarity, now. A LOT of guys are mistakenly thinking that the "Socked Dust" from their coarser powders are the ticket....WRONG,.... The bulk of that "dust" is nothing but graphite.
If one IS going to go for "Dust" be sure it's something along the lines of an old, non graphited type, and WEE quantities in the FP dittos.

The Big 25 lb. George Leonard & Sons .52 cal ?

It's out on the road, making it's way towards it's home, as we speak.
I just hope that the critter that occupied the tool box, and wouldn't un-azz it's nest stays there until it reaches there.

If the owner can't get the critter or the rifle outta' the box, he might cut you one helluva' deal. I just hope it doesn't escape and cross-breed with the other denizens of the 'Glades.

GTC

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by crossfireoops
...It's out on the road, making it's way towards it's home, as we speak....
GTC

You DID ship it via my place, didn't you? After all, it will need to stretch it's legs on such a long trip. I promise to give it a good cleaning and oiling before sending it on it's way. grin

Might have to have it stop at Rick's place, too... whistle

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No more than 3 grains for priming. If you want to, take a handful of FFFG and dump it into a tincan,drop a handful of rifle balls in with it and shake it up for a few. The lead balls and tincan won't cause spark but will reduce the gran of the powder well enuff for decent prime.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
IC B3

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Ive still got several pounds of DuPont FFFFG. But I always used FFFG for priming. And yes the smallest amount is the most efficient.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Did a "Night Salute" at a rondy, way up in a local canyon some years back, with this old crock...
For whatever reason, the donor powder was all FFFFG (Jade mining maybe ?)
Even with blank charges the recoil was formidable.
The reports? .......ear splitting sounds about right, and heard at a roadhouse in full Saturday night mayhem mode about 15 miles away ( the old steakhouse in Sonoita ).

Gotta love a nice flinter.

[Linked Image]

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
I don't have many left. All my remaining flinters are fusils as that's what I prefered to shoot. This is one. And no I don't mind shooting a lefty. It was a gift from a dear old friend

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kaywoodie; 04/21/16.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
672 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12308300, 59 invisible), 3,154 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,742
Posts18,401,213
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.