Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Well, I lost a long time "friend" last year. My Rhino bone handle fixed blade knife. I may still find it when the water level drops, as I know exactly where is went in.

However I needed a replacement. Having plenty of "stuff" here I collect from all the Africa hunting, I decided to have a couple knives made from the odds and ends I've managed to bring home.

This first one made by Robert Cabrera in Texas came out with flawless perfection. Actually quite a bit more fancy then I would need. It is a special knife to me made with the game I've hunted/ or had to shoot. The Handle is made from Giraffe bone, and the sheath from a nice piece of tanned Bull Elephant hide.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The back of the blade is deeply scrolled with this pattern and then backfilled above the handle for a smooth finish. Not sure how he does this, but its hella fancy stuff!

The next one being made will be by Lucas Forge I don't have back yet, I'll post up when that one comes back. The plan for that one is to have an African Blackwood handle with Warthog Ivory and another elephant leather sheath from the same bull elephant, although his sheath design to fit that knife.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Nice. Has that "fast" look.
Don't drop this one overboard.
Tim

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Looks like a handy design. I like that file work on the tang with the backfilling. And I love that style of sheath with half of the leading edge a fold over and the other half sewn together. That elephant hide looks real good too.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The blade design was unique to me, in that is will allow me to skin 400-600 lbs animals and still has the fine point and blade design that will provide a functional blade to cape an animal. Especially turning ears and skinning around the eyes and lips.

My lost knife was very good at this, it had the design kinda like the sharp finger but a bit bigger. This was the best blade design that I could find for this.

The Lucas Forge knife that is not back to me yet will have a bigger blade for skinning bigger game from 750 lbs and up. It also has a blade design that will allow a much more effective fleshing chore too.

Maybe this forum is more directly for collecting knives? Not sure as I don't visit it enough. My needs are for only fully functional use in the bush.

Two of the most critical needs for me, are caping my clients trophies for mounting them, and then fleshing the hides to effectively salt them. Finally.... although no less critical is cutting up the meat into packable chunks.

A very important design is a caping knife with a 3"- 3.5" blade with a very sharp pointed tip, this is sometimes a fragile area of the blade. Also needs a knurled back of the blade near the handle to place your index finger in a non-slip position.

Skinning and butchering needs a longer blade, for me 4-5" with a sweeping edge from the handle to the tip.

When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Mostly users and accumulators on this site.
Function first, then....

Last edited by michiganroadkill; 04/18/16.

"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them."
Albert Einstein

At Khe Sanh a sign read "For those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected never knew".
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
You haven't told us the blade length and steel type and Rc treatment. Users want to know that information... collectors don't care.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would simply call Dale Howe tell him whatcha want, and you'll get it..... but I'm biased....

Ping pong balls for the win.
Once you've wrestled everything else in life is easy. Dan Gable
I keep my circle small, I’d rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies.

Ain’t easy havin pals.
JJHACK Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
CPM154 stainless steel hardened, tempered and cryo treated down to 59-60 RC

The overall length it 7-3/4"
Blade length 3-1/4"
width 1-1/8"
thickness 5/32"

I know that the knife is the "art" but this sheath is such a wonderfully perfect piece of art work as well. Wish I would have brought home more elephant hide now!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
Mostly users and accumulators on this site.
Function first, then....

And a few "Enablers" (makers) here to.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Too many good "Enablers" on this forum to single out just one. Dale Howe's Elmax, Bret Dowell's CTS-XHP, Mike Miller's 154CM, and Rick Menefee's S30v are all winners. I'm sure that there are lots of others as well, but I have been pleased with the quality of knives from all of these makers over the years.

IC B3

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I think almost all "Enablers" are users and accumulators also. It is part of the affliction.
Tim

Albert Einstein

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by michiganroadkill
I think almost all "Enablers" are users and accumulators also. It is part of the affliction.
Tim

I don't doubt that for a second!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

663 members (160user, 12344mag, 1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 64 invisible), 2,477 guests, and 1,258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,631
Posts18,455,194
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.