-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fact that the gov claims there is not enough fat to be cut is a pretty good indication that they will never have enough money to suit them.

Phil Shoemaker
Alaska Master Guide,
Alaska Hunter Ed Instructor
FAA Master pilot
www.grizzlyskinsofalaska.com

Anyone who claims the 30-06 is not effective has either not used one, or else is unwittingly commenting on their marksmanship.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
yep if you talk to folks in administration in gov't they will try and tell you they're cut to the bone already.

they're the folks that decide what needs to be cut and often it's their very own department that needs cutting, administration.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Originally Posted by atvalaska
How's about no taxes ...and just cut !!!! They are playing a shell game right now ...it will come back to haunt us ...the oil company's let go 100's ...the state ? 70 ...wtf

With that deep thought what are you willing to do with out?

Roads? Airports? Schools? Fire? Police? The Army? Air Force? How about fuel? You do know we have refineries because the state provides incentives right? Or lets get rid of the port...That will just about shut down the economy with in a week or so.

Spend a little time thinking about what life in AK would be with out the state and feds and taxes....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm sure there are places where the belt can still be tightened some more. But I also wonder if the state has, through lack of foresight, bitten off more than they can sustain. I simply look at things like some of the new schools they've put up. While I don't deny the need, there is surely more than one way to design a 20,000(?) sq ft building for example, and I hardly think a long straight hallway with classrooms on both sides is the smartest way in terms of buildings for coastal (windy) Alaska. It just doesn't make sense to me in terms of long term management costs. It would seem to me that heating costs could be significantly reduced by reducing or protecting some of the surface area. (Three 30,000 gallon tanks included in one known structure suggest that the architects knew their design would not heat efficiently given a single yearly fill-up.)

That's just a single example, but there are undoubtedly many which have similar problems. There doesn't seem to be adequate thought put into design in terms of managing costs for the life of various projects. And then there's the waste that goes into some projects too, as if the credibility and status of architects and engineers rides on the numbers of colors and complexity of shape that can be included .

Metaphorically, there's a big difference between mac and cheese and sirloin steak dinners, and we seem to have jumped from one to the other in many respects in terms of our capital investing. Spaghetti and meatballs would be a much more sustainable diet than punching a lifetime meal ticket of steak.

Previously funded projects are water under the bridge of course, but they saddle the state with maintenance costs that are difficult to get around without simply shutting things down. And whether a building, an airport, or a road, shutting it down until the day you can pay to keep it open is a likely death sentence for that investment.

Last edited by Klikitarik; 04/18/16.

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I was on a couple of committees to design a new school here. What they actually were was trying to use "citizens" to push the bond election.

I was not invited back after the 2nd one because I kept pushing the idea that when designing, we needed to also think through maintenance, more employees etc... cost wise, and the fact that yes I agree we need to an ok school but I compared it to cars... I can get by that we don't need a Kia, but they kept designing Mercedes... while we needed, at best, an impala....

When I'm paying for you chit, it needs to be the ham sandwhich, not the ribeye!!!

Thats why I was never invited back...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
AND... they wanted to spend almost a million to salvage some bricks out of our old high school to make a memorial out of ....

It served its purpose, put an old brick in the corner of the new one, cost... hmmm a few bucks maybe.. but a million for a shrine... screw that, I didn't even like going to school....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why didn't u start right off saying " don't feed the kids".....WTF.
"""""In the last decade, Alaska State general fund spending grew from $2.1 billion in FY2004 to $4.4 billion in FY2014, a 109 percent increase. To put it in perspective, inflation increased only 30 percent during that same time, and population increased just 11 percent."""" ...simple

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Did with out???? I use the road to get to work I use a 1/6 dozen street lights / guess what, when the powers out I this manage to get thru the intersection, its called wait your turn ! So much for my Load on the state funding.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by northwestalaska
Originally Posted by atvalaska
How's about no taxes ...and just cut !!!! They are playing a shell game right now ...it will come back to haunt us ...the oil company's let go 100's ...the state ? 70 ...wtf

With that deep thought what are you willing to do with out?

Roads? Airports? Schools? Fire? Police? The Army? Air Force? How about fuel? You do know we have refineries because the state provides incentives right? Or lets get rid of the port...That will just about shut down the economy with in a week or so.

Spend a little time thinking about what life in AK would be with out the state and feds and taxes....

DHSS

Intellectual honesty is the most important character trait in human beings.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If they get to the pfd ...it will cost u 1000.00$ the next 3 or so pfds are tobe around 2g (by my banker buddy) that's a 1000$ tax on YOUR 2grand...I can spend my money better than some knot head .gov guy passing money to their buds

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
As with most homes in this country with financial problems, so it is with local, state and federal GOVs.....

the problem is rarely income!!!!

"...A man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box and the cartridge box..." Frederick Douglass, 1867

( . Y . )
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
[Linked Image]

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Lets start the pay cuts at the top including your state representative? A little leadership would go a long way. Stick to the 90 day session, 20% pay cut for all elected officials and 25% cut for their staff and then lets look at the state workers.

What do ya think?

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by watch4bear
[Linked Image]

City I work for is frozen too pay wise.

But then again I could make more in the private sector but went here to be able to help the public, thought it was a noble idea.

Wish I had not but its too late. Our retirement, pay and benefits are worse than any private sector I've ever worked for.

But I believe if I could get to or wanted to, to bigger .gov, it would be the other way around.
But I digress.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I still think the pfd payout should slowly go away. But we need to make the gov earn its portion. For every dollar they cut from the budget, give them and equal amount or 1.50 from the fund. Keep paying out the fund to the public in diminishing amounts until it's phased out and end the incentive for people to move here and chit out a dozen kids. I am sorry I voted for Walker, didn't see this coming and I should have. I'm man enough to admit it, lol...

Eat moose, burn spruce
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
hell I"m still alive so I'm still making mistakes. LOL. Admitting is a good start, keeps you from doing that particular one again.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Calvin

I guess I am sour against taxing the tourists because I hear the same guys (in real life, not on the internet) bitching and moaning how everybody else should pick up the bill for their lifestyle. They bitch how the tourists are killing all the deer and catching all the fish. But, when the subject of taxes come up, they are all for taxing the crap out of the tourists so they don't have to pay a tax. Doesn't make any sense to me.

Makes perfect sense, unless your living is derived off of tourism income. A lot of the infrastructure that was build in this state was built for the benefit of tourists (or at least with tourism in mind),even though it benefits residents as well. I'm not saying I'm for sticking it to tourists, but I do understand why people say it. It only natural that people resent the yearly influx of outsiders consuming the local resource. I'm not anti tourist by a long shot, but I do feel a bit like a nimby when the bus pulls up in my neck o the woods and a gaggle of Asians or GQ dressed L48ers pile out looking for the chitter.

Eat moose, burn spruce
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495
hell I"m still alive so I'm still making mistakes. LOL. Admitting is a good start, keeps you from doing that particular one again.

It won't be my last mistake, but the last time I make THAT one!

Eat moose, burn spruce
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
I am sorry I voted for Walker, didn't see this coming and I should have. I'm man enough to admit it, lol...

Got to always keep in mind that Walker has always been a Republican. He may have formed a collation to win bur still is a died in the wool Republican. Do you think what we are seeing right now would be different if the "R" in the race had won?

Leadership begins with making hard decisions at home first. Show me some serious cuts with the LIO, reduce staff and pay in Juneau and then come tell us how the middle class needs to make sacrifices and stop posturing for the next election for god sakes. The thought that we need to expend time, money and energy on who teaches "Sex Ed" when the issue should be about the budget is just stupid. or should I say " Posturing" for your next election cycle!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A time clock at the LIO here in Fairbanks would do wounders for accountability.... Then a DNA test/maiden name/ background check on everyone of them .....They are DAMMNEAR ALL RELATED !

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (1Longbow, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1234, 19rabbit52, 12344mag, 50 invisible), 2,063 guests, and 1,110 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,088
Posts18,463,966
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.