Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Bob,

Shrapnel was being facetious when he posted "nobody shoots offhand anymore."

We've shot Richardson's ground squirrels together here in Montana on several occasions, and Shrap makes it a point to shoot a lot of them offhand. They're pretty small targets, as even a mature "gopher" is only about 10" long by 2" across, and younger ones are aboiut half that size. Plus, normally you're not getting a shot at the entire gopher. He hits far more than he misses out to 100 yards.

I am not too bad myself. On one of the occasions when we shot together my first shot killed one at around 75 yards. He thought it was an accident, but then I did it again.

Eileen prefers offhand-height shooting sticks, and is pretty deadly with 'em.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
GB1

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

We've shot Richardson's ground squirrels together here in Montana on several occasions, and Shrap makes it a point to shoot a lot of them offhand. They're pretty small targets, as even a mature "gopher" is only about 10" long by 2" across, and younger ones are aboiut half that size. Plus, normally you're not getting a shot at the entire gopher. He hits far more than he misses out to 100 yards.

I am not too bad myself. On one of the occasions when we shot together my first shot killed one at around 75 yards. He thought it was an accident, but then I did it again.

John I knew he was being facetious.....I could tell the way he put it. smile

With the volume of shooting you guys do on PD's I know you all aren't on your bellies all the time. smile

Don't have PD's here but on big wood chuck farms in NE, I used to break up the day by strolling the field edges and shooting of hand now and then.

It's just what pops up. Three of the last 5 bucks I have killed were all shot off hand at 50-80 yards....just the nature of things I guess.

Last edited by BobinNH; 04/20/16.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by rost495

I have a lot of shooting under my belt. Wife does too. Lots of it was offhand but in competition which is not the same as hunting.

Much more than me I'm sure. I shot .22s a lot as a kid and did a couple years of target shooting in college, but nothing big. I'm always open to suggestions.

As to the errors.... I understand the math, but I run on worst case... which is why I'm pretty picky about shots and just dont' care if I go home empty, rather that than mess one up....

Completely agree. The only real point is that it is the shooter not the .5 or 1.5 rifle that matters most in the equation.

Re the dummy shells, that is one of the BEST if not the best idea for training to ever come along.

I wanted to ensure I would automatically cycle the bolt after the shot prior to a trip to Africa. It has served me well. One note of caution, the blanks will cycle easier than a just fired round so I had to continue to make sure I used a good grip when cycling the bolt even though I don't need to with the blanks.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH
Seems to me if you do any amount of BG hunting, eventually you are going to be faced with a situation where you simply have to shoot from an unsupported, or less than ideal,shooting position.

Not that we don't do our best to quickly assume a rest or some support if we can, but it's going to happen because we are dealing with unpredictable animals and situations. So, it only makes sense to have some degree of proficiency in a variety of positions. Our own practice sessions will tell us what our proficiency levels are.

This does not mean you get wild eyed about it, but seems to me most of us know almost immediately which shots we can, and cannot make, on an animal.

My first moose was such... 125ish steps... offhand. Was the only choice and a quick choice... bull was going to leave. I put the gun up and knew i'd have to make a choice. But they are so big it was easy and I was not out of wind at the time...

I still think that most times you benefit more from practicing field expedient shooting....

And in hindsight had I been thinking that morning... I could have quickly sat down and popped a shot off as quickly and more accurate... it did not dawn on me that quickly... though a knee or butt would have been damp or wet...

Jeff you're an experienced shot....you knew right away you could do it. smile

Doc good thread! wink

I knew it once I put the gun up. I also know some days 50 yards is rough due to conditions, body reactions, NPA missing, out of air and so on.... But then I still strive in my stupid head, that I'm trying to hit a postage stamp.... not a boiler room.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by prm

I have a lot of shooting under my belt. Wife does too. Lots of it was offhand but in competition which is not the same as hunting.

Much more than me I'm sure. I shot .22s a lot as a kid and did a couple years of target shooting in college, but nothing big. I'm always open to suggestions.

As to the errors.... I understand the math, but I run on worst case... which is why I'm pretty picky about shots and just dont' care if I go home empty, rather that than mess one up....

Completely agree. The only real point is that it is the shooter not the .5 or 1.5 rifle that matters most in the equation.

Re the dummy shells, that is one of the BEST if not the best idea for training to ever come along.

I wanted to ensure I would automatically cycle the bolt after the shot prior to a trip to Africa. It has served me well. One note of caution, the blanks will cycle easier than a just fired round so I had to continue to make sure I used a good grip when cycling the bolt even though I don't need to with the blanks.

Only thing to suggest, perfect practice makes perfect. And for hunting thats not target shooting.

Although smallbore rimfire hunter matches seemed to help some. But IMHO they make you sloppy on aiming points....accepting a hit anywhere...

The loose nut behind the butt is almost always the most important. But extra accuracy never hurts. Of course if you do the whole body flinch, it makes no difference at all.....If you haven't done a whole body flinch you are missing out..... heck sometimes we could do it and still not break the trigger, if we were REALLY lucky...

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Seems to me if you do any amount of BG hunting, eventually you are going to be faced with a situation where you simply have to shoot from an unsupported, or less than ideal,shooting position.

Not that we don't do our best to quickly assume a rest or some support if we can, but it's going to happen because we are dealing with unpredictable animals and situations. So, it only makes sense to have some degree of proficiency in a variety of positions. Our own practice sessions will tell us what our proficiency levels are.

This does not mean you get wild eyed about it, but seems to me most of us know almost immediately which shots we can, and cannot make, on an animal.

Good post Bob. 99% of my shots are taken from the off hand position. It's been that way since I was a little kid hunting jacks in the sage till now. Still one of my favorite positions. I don't have a problem keeping 5 shots inside a 1' circle at 200 yards. Actually more like 8", but who's counting and the OP wanted the bs to be kept to a minimum... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by powdr
prm, how did you get within 40 yards of that bull elk. The story man. powdr

I'm an archery hunter who just happens to carry a rifle. grin

Truth is I was stalking a few bulls in some thick timber. I saw a 5x5 walk down the hill to my right and at ~30 yds he saw me, turned and jumped a few steps to my front. While I was watching him the 6x6 literally appeared to my right and to this day I have no idea how he got there!

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Good post Bob. 99% of my shots are taken from the off hand position. It's been that way since I was a little kid hunting jacks in the sage till now. Still one of my favorite positions. I don't have a problem keeping 5 shots inside a 1' circle at 200 yards. Actually more like 8", but who's counting and the OP wanted the bs to be kept to a minimum... wink

That's excellent shooting.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
in highpower, used to be only with irons too, but thats changed a bit....

200 yards a perfect score, which was rare, was 20 shots into 6 inches.

But 15 shots into that 6 inches was not uncommon.

I was never good at offhand. I could keep all 20-22 in 12 inches at 200 easily. But generally around 10-12 in 6 inches or less.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I shoot / have shot NRA silhoutte matches both HP and smallbore and am master class in both. which means I shoot offhand way better than most ever thought about . When hunting I try not to shoot offhand , I take advantage of any support I can.

IC B3

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Bob,

My brother and I were out shooting gophers recently too. We shot about 90% off-hand out to 50 yards with 22s. We contemplated what that would translate into shooting deer off-hand. Difference is we would need to be sure to put the bullet in the vitals on deer.

I should point out this was with a peep sight. I am sure i could have seen them at longer ranges with a scope, but doubt I would hit much better.

Last edited by Just a Hunter; 04/20/16.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ldholton
I shoot / have shot NRA silhoutte matches both HP and smallbore and am master class in both. which means I shoot offhand way better than most ever thought about . When hunting I try not to shoot offhand , I take advantage of any support I can.

That is my way of thinking as well (not that I'm such a great offhand shot). This gets into a discussion of ethics and opinions which I try to avoid, but I always figured the Shooter practices as much as possible to become the best shot possible, then when he becomes the Hunter he gets as close as possible and makes every effort to make the shot as much of a gimme as possible. I.e., the hunt is one thing, the shot ending the hunt should be as much of a foregone conclusion as it can be. And we all know that even under the best of circumstances, that "foregone conclusion" is not always as foregone as we anticipated.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Just a Hunter,

My wife and I usually do some of our gopher shooting with open-sighted .22's, and even though we're in our 60's, can usually manage to get plenty out to around 50 yards. Eileen normally uses a lever-action Henry (though she also has a very accurate Savage 29B that gets some use), while I take my Winchester 62B. The tube magazines sometimes come in handy when gophers charge....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Shooting offhand and double-action, as often as possible are the secrets to success.

Maybe not success in life as a whole, but you'll shoot more better than most.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Dave,

A some of us do want to be more better!

John Steinbeck
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A reasonable amount of alcohol also helps.

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
There's 1,000 other things going on when shooting at stuff with heartbeats vs paper.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
And that little [bleep] named Murphy!

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by ldholton

Hmm... thats interesting, you and I have similar backgrounds, and have similar results, and come to the same conclusion, spend a few seconds getting any rest you can, rather than none at all.

Wonder how that happened.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Same here.... Shot a lot of NRA Hi-Power back in the 1990's with my M-1A and did most of my practicing for it from offhand. But in the hunting fields I'll take any rest I can find, if time allows it because my heart might be pounding, or a lot of other reasons. Bottom line is: Under field conditions my accuracy, on average, is a lot better from some kind of rested position. If I'm shooting at game I want all the accuracy help I can get. Accuracy.... It's the name of the game.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

113 members (358WCF, 450yukon, 19rabbit52, 10gaugemag, 30Gibbs, 18 invisible), 2,078 guests, and 874 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,279
Posts18,467,652
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.