Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I shoot well off hand,just not as well as with sticks. Ive shot a lot of coyotes at 200 to 250 yds off sticks that I wouldn't have killed off hand. Same with deer and elk.

GB1

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by atse
I shoot well off hand,just not as well as with sticks. Ive shot a lot of coyotes at 200 to 250 yds off sticks that I wouldn't have killed off hand. Same with deer and elk.

Are you actually from Texas, or are you just pretending to be from Texas?

Dave

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
South 150 miles from you. How are those geovids?

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
A lot better than my memory.

Obviously.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by bobnob17
I find the biggest impediments to successfully shooting big game offhand are being out of breath from walking hills, and buck fever.

The buck fever can even be terminal with a good rest!

I'd agree with you there. I'd also add to that (based on my own experience) being startled by something bounding out unexpectedly, and rushing your shot.

Often (not always) you've got more time than you think, and often too you can improve your odds by bracing up against a handy tree, or dropping to a kneel. Not always of course, and that is where practice plays a big part - getting that muscle memory working for you.

IC B2

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Should I take a drink because heavy traffic makes me nervous or I need to steady my nerves before driving in rush hour?
How about NASCAR drivers before a 500?
Anyone condoning mixing guns and alcohol is one of the stupidest ideas there is. That's one thing that isn't a joke, nor a crutch. If you have to drink to get steady nerves, what made you so nervous to begin with? Work on that, then practice shooting sober.
Can't enjoy it without having a drink? You've got problems Bud.
Oh yes, if your hands shake because you need a drink, you should be in rehab.

Last edited by Deflagrate; 04/22/16.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Why would shooting or driving in heavy traffic make you nervous?

Travis

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Try driving in Minneapolis during the first snowstorm of the winter. I get nervous and have lived here all my life.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Don't drink and drive.

In Minneapolis.

Travis

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm more of a walker than a sitter so most of my shots are offhand. I don't use bipods or sticks.

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
E
Killed this deer from the kneeling position at about 110 yds away.

[Linked Image]

I use the kneeling position far more than any other shooting position when hunting big game and varmints. For coyote calling I use a Harris bi-pod.

Last edited by elkhunternm; 04/22/16.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Deflagrate
Originally Posted by Bugger
I believe that people aught to shoot groups standing with cross sticks if they use them or without sticks to see what accuracy they will have in the field. If they only go by bench rest accuracy off sand bags, they should bring the bench and sand bags when their hunting.

I site in and work up loads from a bench rest. Then I practice with a stick and offhand to see how poor I really am. I've noted I shoot about 1-2 inches higher and groups spread some in offhand at 100 yards than with the rifle on a bench rest. With a shooting stick is much better.
This might be startling or disappointing to anyone who hasn't tried it before. I have a whole different head/rifle/elbow orientation on the bench than offhand. I just accept it and practice.
Offhand an hasty sling or the offhand position I was taught at PI help.
Public ranges usually won't let you shoot with a stick or offhand though. Another good reason to join your local club.

I really assumed by this day and time folks would know that an offhand zero and a slung up sitting or prone zero can be different.

And that just because the gun is on for me, doesnt' mean its on for you.

My best friend and I are consistently 3/4 inch off of each other. I forget which direction but its horizontal.... not enough to matter at 100 though even with head shots, but we've confirmed it often enough.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Doc, you should have posted a WTB in the classified for the O'Connor books as chances are some fire members would have sold you copies, myself included.

Originally Posted by DocRocket

But at best guess I would say I probably fit into JOC's definition of a "not bad" shot. Yes, I can occasionally pull of some pretty fancy shots, but I've missed clean and wounded a few head of game as well. So, "not bad" is probably all I can honestly claim.

Back in the 1960s I completed the SEVEN-LESSON RIFLE SHOOTING COURSE found in O'Connor's COMPLETE BOOK OF RIFLES AND SHOTGUNS...Copyright 1961. It was a tough course especially shooting at targets inside of truck tires rolling down hills. wink grin

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by GaryVA
Originally Posted by atse
Not sure why anyone would shoot off hand when you could (and should) be using sticks.

Because they have mastered the skill, they know how to shoot a rifle, and executing well aimed shots on certain shot presentations would be handicapped if sticks were used.

My take on this has always been I'd never try it. Just flat to much risk to wounding game which I think they don't care about.

I've shot moving targets, with the AR, and we used to have a match that was a blast at moving targets at 300, I got to where I knew how much of my front post to lead with and could really rattle em off.

That being said, the shooter moving, the gun moving, the game moving AND obstacles in the way... thats beyond my personal ethics by far.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rost495

My take on this has always been I'd never try it. Just flat to much risk to wounding game which I think they don't care about.

Sounds a bit elitist to say someone like Franz doesn't care vs you and your stated position, especially since he cares enough to master the discipline for his hunting end use.

You owe it to the animal, to yourself, and to anyone you may be assisting, to practice your offhand, and to practice moving, as it may be needed during a follow up on a crippled animal. Same as if you intended to use that AR or a handgun to defend life. You owe it to those that would depend upon you, to practice and learn to get off the X, while being proficient at shooting off hand with you and your target moving. Some would say to snub your nose to that skill set as being poor, not good.

Quite a few do not care and do lob unvetted Hail Mary shots at game, but I do not believe that hunters who perfect their craft with shooting on the wing, or shooting on the flush, are somehow "They", and as a group, "do not care".

Best smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I have shot a fair number of moving coyotes,trotting, or loping, inside 50yds while they were working my dog. Still shoot them off my sticks. It's amazing the leed needed to not hit behind them. I've found that if I end up shooting off hand,its because things have really gone to crap.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sight all my rifles in off hand. I don't have a bench out at the gravel pit.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I do load development off the bench, and usually initial drop confirmation.
Then most of my shooting is from field positions.
I typically do well from field positions.
I rarely shoot off-hand, but if I think I will be shooting that way I practice more from that position.
I look hard for any kind of rest to get more solid in the field.

Ernie "The Un-Tactical"

[Linked Image]
http://sebrests-usa.com/
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
" Ernie the UN-tactical"

I like that !

Like J Foxworthy about clothes style.

I take 'tactical' only so far. !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by rost495

I really assumed by this day and time folks would know that an offhand zero and a slung up sitting or prone zero can be different.

And that just because the gun is on for me, doesnt' mean its on for you.

Actually, no. Most folks still don't know that. The majority still believe someone else, like the store deskclerk, can sight-in their rifle for them. Old wives' tales die hard even in "enlightened" high tech times.
You must remember that we live in an age when few of us have even been in the military and practiced slung up and offhand, sitting and prone. The majority males under 60 were busy with "other responsibilities" or were "too smart for the military" as it has been put to me numerous times in rather arrogant and defensive ways. Then these same guys tell me how experienced with firearms they are. Yep, Uncle Bill took them out to plink a few times.
The average guy actually is barely aware of how his rifle works. He puts in "bullets" and it goes bang. I've been at the range and had someone ask me "how to put the bullets" in his rifle or pistol.
A coworker (a retired Navy Chief no less) told me his "dad sited in the rifle before he passed" so he "didn't need too". That's a quote folks.
Most people who post here don't fall into the category of dork I've just illustrated above. If you do fall into that category, ignorance is easily fixed, stupid isn't.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 160user, 1Longbow, 54 invisible), 2,683 guests, and 1,239 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,362
Posts18,469,005
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.