Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

MM,

I've read your posts over the past few years, and have gathered from them that you very much advocate the 1911's--and the better ones at that. Astute choices. With that in mind, I wasn't surprised to see that you own a Beretta m 70s, one of the best .380's ever made. All steel, single action, the 1911 style safety, and similar trigger make for good medicine...and like the 1911 system, it is perhaps best utilized by more experienced handgunners who choose to tote the .380 Auto round.

Taking nothing away from the Beretta 70s, H&K P7 K3, or the DA Walther PPKs-- these days--with so many beginners obtaining permits--i think many of them are better off with DAO rigs--and a reasonable share of these folks are even better off with a revolver--due to its simplicity. The trend to develop/miniaturize rigs lately seems to be about one of the hottest things going.

HV,

You're a very astute guy as well who never seems to miss a thing & I always pay attention to your posts as they offer good information & insights, quite often on interesting & more diverse subjects than what I tend to focus on routinely.

As usual, you are absolutely correct that in general, SA's are better suited to more experienced people than they are for novices......couldn't agree more with them starting with DAO's or revolvers, too.

Originally Posted by Hi_Vel

Not long after the Ruger LCP first came out, I believe it was in the late summer of 2008 that I tried one out. Was surprised to be able to put 5 out of 5 rounds into the inner circle of a paper plate at 20 yards/60 feet offhand, slowfire. Surprised, in that the crude sights actually were milled such that it was "zeroed". The LCP is a fairly good pistol...

I'd say that's better than very good shooting with that package..........

MM

GB1

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

Bob,

I've read a number of your posts, and enjoy them. I can readily discern that you know quite a bit about various handgun rigs. Some of your posts, like the vest story, gave me a good chuckle when picturing that in the mind's eye--doubly so when envisioned with Shane's post.

Regarding small rigs and hot ammo--I do not advocate the use of it for carry. I've found in testing some of the hotter stuff in smaller rigs, that on occasions, reliability in slide operation goes out the window, not to mention how hard it is on a rig when frequently used.

I shoot pocket rigs a lot, primarily because they are difficult to master at heightened firing speeds--something I like to challenge myself with. Subsequently, when one then fires a mid or full size rig, it is much easier to excel with.

When I saw the pic that you posted with the guitar, I had to do a double take, as your appearance was a dead ringer for our family doc from back in the late 1970's...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H

MM,

Thank you very much for those good words--I really appreciate them. The sentiment/respect is mutual...

I have a select group of guys whose posts I look for too--as it is very easy to discern those who have significant skill and knowledge, and I always find I'm learning from reading of other's experience's--it keeps me coming back. On occasion, when I can get a good, useful tidbit--or a laugh--it's all the better...

all learning is like a funnel:
however, contrary to popular thought, one begins with the the narrow end.
the more you progress, the more it expands into greater discovery--and the less of an audience you will have...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Hi_Vel.

Yes, there is a pretty good number of very knowledgeable people here that I always pay attention to.

Not an all inclusive or complete list by any means, but just the ones that come to mind the most often. Some I have corresponded with directly from time to time, others not so much

Mallard Addict is a very knowledgeable guy across many different platforms including AR's as well as handguns.

Mackay Sagebrush is a wealth of information on all gun & security related subjects.

RJM has a huge amount of personal experience & instructor background & always offers good info.

RGK has a broad range of shooting & firearms experience.

JOG, though he doesn't post much anymore, has great technical information.

Gun Geek (Kevin Gibson) has a broad range of experience & knowledge, though sometimes goes of on some strange tangents or topics. wink

There are many more, but besides yourself, I always pay attention & have learned a thing or 3 over time from these particular guys.

Best Regards,

MM

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
anyone seen one of these, it's called an Ideal conceal .380 double barrel that is supposed to look like a cell phone. The bottom half drops down as a handle exposing the trigger.

I hope some fool doesn't answer the wrong phone and blow their brains out. laugh

[Linked Image]

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
grin grin grin

Now THAT is classic LOBO !!! Thanks for the chuckle.

Quote Hi-vel
Regarding small rigs and hot ammo--I do not advocate the use of it for carry. I've found in testing some of the hotter stuff in smaller rigs, that on occasions, reliability in slide operation goes out the window, not to mention how hard it is on a rig when frequently used.

I just shot a box of Underwood Extreme Penetrators this afternoon in a little Kahr P-380 and your words are true. It's all I can do to keep that little sucker on target for rapid follow up shots because there isn't much to hold on to. That Underwood stuff is nasty and hard on the little pistol. I also had along a little Kel-Tec P3AT that I've carried since Kel-Tec started making 380's and until I got the Kahr. No telling how many rounds I shot through the P3AT, but they have all been standard stuff, or my reloads which are standard loads. I shot it very well easily making quick follow up shots even though the Kahr pistol is of much higher quality and has better sights and trigger. But load it with dynamite and I can shoot the Kel-Tec better using standard ammo.

I can shoot a 45 auto on repeat shots faster and more accurately than the Kahr loaded with dynamite and I know dang well I can shoot faster and more accurately with a model 19 Smith.

Small is great for carry, but not so much for shooting when loaded with hot loads. What is it that Clint Smith says about that? A firearm is supposed to be comforting, not comfortable.

Last edited by BobWills; 05/01/16.

Despite what your momma told you, violence does solve problems.
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Besides my .380 I have a Double Tap Derringer in 9mm. It's a 2 shot over and under with an extra 2 rounds stored in the handle. This gun also comes in a .45acp. I have shot the .45 and I can tell you after 2 shots you won't want to shoot it again. It's so thin it comes back into the web of your hand and it hurts like hell. I've never been recoil sensitive but this gun is NOT a fun gun to shoot in either caliber. Having said that it carry's very inconspicuously in a wallet type holster either in the front or back pocket. It can be considered a bug or a better than nothing close range defense weapon.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I don't have a 380, but the Beretta 84 is the one I would look for, if I was looking.

I just can't warm up to tiny pistols.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I don't have a 380, but the Beretta 84 is the one I would look for, if I was looking.

Those are sweet. My local shop had one new from Beretta on the shelf a few weeks ago. I handled it and liked it. Reasonable price, too. Just couldn't justify it when they make 9mms about that size, or smaller. Then again, it held 12 or 13 rounds in a double stack mag, and with modern loads that would be pretty effective.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine

Those are sweet. My local shop had one new from Beretta on the shelf a few weeks ago. I handled it and liked it. Reasonable price, too. Just couldn't justify it when they make 9mms about that size, or smaller. Then again, it held 12 or 13 rounds in a double stack mag, and with modern loads that would be pretty effective.

That's kind how I see it. If it's going to be the size/weight of a Beretta 84, might as well roll with a Glock 19.

Takes me right back to the Glock 17 I've been carrying since dirt was young.

IC B3

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I got a Bass Pro flyer last week advertising a Browning 1911 .380. Had not seen these before, might like to handle one for size and feel.

Mike

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mikewriter
I got a Bass Pro flyer last week advertising a Browning 1911 .380. Had not seen these before, might like to handle one for size and feel.

Mike

It's a neat piece, but it's not something I'd consider carrying.

Size is halfway between the little Browning 1911/22 and a Gov't Model. They basically scaled down the Gov't Model in dimensions to have it built around the .380 cartridge instead of the .45ACP. Handling will be just like a shrunken Gov't Model; which ain't a bad thing.

It'd be a neat piece to shoot, a good "trainer" for someone trying to learn the mechanics of a 1911 (especially if the person is smaller framed; think "youth sized"), and a fun range toy, but for carry I can't think of a reason why.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Mikewriter

Mike

Holsters are very tough to find.....plus if I recall, it had some plastic parts I didn't care for....neat gun to play with though.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by 4ager

It'd be a neat piece to shoot, a good "trainer" for someone trying to learn the mechanics of a 1911 (especially if the person is smaller framed; think "youth sized"), and a fun range toy, but for carry I can't think of a reason why.

Hey Sean, what is your problem? I often carry the original, a MKIV Series 80 Government .380!

Upper left and compared to Glock 42 and Colt Commander .45

[Linked Image]

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Originally Posted by 4ager

Hey Sean, what is your problem? I often carry the original, a MKIV Series 80 Government .380!

Upper left and compared to Glock 42 and Colt Commander .45

[Linked Image]

T, my old friend, if there was a slight implied in that quote of mine it was entirely unintentional.

The point I was trying (and failing, obviously) to make is that the Browning 1911 .380 is a neat piece, but for carry if you're going to carry a .380, it just doesn't make sense to me to go BUY one. Now, if you happen to have something as deliciously nice as that Colt of yours, then why not carry it?

However, that Colt is smaller than the Browning (in both length and height). And, if you're going to be looking at a .380 to carry, today, there are smaller, lighter .380s available in or near that price range (G42, Kimber Micro, LCP, etc.), or alternatively if you're looking at something that goes 18 oz empty and measures 7.5" overall, you can either have a more substantial round than the .380 in that package (easily) and/or more than 9 rounds on deck. That's easily in the Beretta 84 size range and the Cheetah gives you 14 rounds, or in the weight range as a dimensionally smaller G43 that gives you 9x19 capabilities.

Don't get me wrong, the 1911 .380 is a NEAT little pistol and I'd not mind having one. If I had one, I'd carry it, but I can't see going an buying one with a primary purpose of CCW.

As for carrying the .380, you know I have in the past and in fact there's a .380 in my pocket as I type this, so it's not a knock on the cartridge (though I do recognize it's limitations).

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
No insult perceived Sean, I have been hurting for the past few days and may come across a bit short, sorry about that. As to the smaller .380's, they are for less arthritic hands than mine. Got rid of the K-T P3AT for the Glock 42, just a BUNCH easier on the hands. I will tell you what though, that Colt .380 is a pure joy to shoot, I can burn 100 rounds through it at a session with no trouble to the old paws.

The G42 is a taste bigger and lighter but actually holds one round less than the Colt. Of course I would rather lose it than the Colt!

Son finally talked me out of the 1903 Colt .32. and daughter is getting quite eloquent in her pitch for the .gov .380, rot's a ruck on dat Keri dear! smile smile smile

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My dear friend, that you are hurting is the worst news I've gotten. I am so sorry to hear that.

You bring up a great point about shootability, too. Those of us still in pretty good shape and with our strength don't think about or understand the needs/requirements of those who don't.

The point you and others have made about certain pistols being uncomfortable to shoot is something else I'd been thinking about recently, and playing with mathematically. There's a correlation between weight and recoil, and I think there's a definable limit, or at least a range that's definable, where things just start to hurt. I'm still working on the finer points, but the math is solid.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Trust me my friend, you would not realize that I am the same guy you and A met a few years ago. But life goes on till it stops, nuttin' ya can do about it.

Also passed on the S&W 60 and carry the J frame .32 H&R when toting a revolver. You either adapt or give up, I ain't about to give up!!!!!

Old cat turd!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
the G42 is a nice pistol, I have one that is not going anywhere.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by T LEE
Trust me my friend, you would not realize that I am the same guy you and A met a few years ago. But life goes on till it stops, nuttin' ya can do about it.

Also passed on the S&W 60 and carry the J frame .32 H&R when toting a revolver. You either adapt or give up, I ain't about to give up!!!!!

We'd NEVER suspect you of being one to give up. Adapt, yes, and easily so. Give up; never.

I'll not tell A you're suffering. She thinks the world of you and it would make her cry.

Page 9 of 11 1 2 7 8 9 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

110 members (10Glocks, 300jimmy, 41rem, 300_savage, 12 invisible), 1,348 guests, and 824 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,175
Posts18,465,446
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.